• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Miracles

That would undermine the role of faith. God doesn't want anyone to convert because anything's been proven to them; it's weak faith. The faith you get from spiritual confirmation is stronger than the conviction that can be produced by any level of scientific affirmation. God wouldn't want anything to be corroborated by science.
If I were to hypothesize that there is no such thing as a "miracle", this is exactly what I would expect apologists to say in defense of religious miracles.

Ceridwen018

the media except for church papers and t.v. aren't prone to cover religious events, unless it furthers there propoganda. for example: four priests were saying the rosary in either Hiroshima or Nagasaki when the atom bomb exploded. they were near the center and everything was leveled around them. they survived even radiation effects. so as i say the media isn't interested.
If this happened, it would be a huge human interest story that no one would want to pass up. How do you know it happened? Probably because someone told you.

as for the guy randi or whoever he is, if he saw his hand in front of his face he would probably deny it's existance. i don't heal for money, but if he wanted to be truly charitable he can send me some as i really need it.
Trish, you make me sad. You criticise Randi without even checking him out. Just because you don't like the fact that all the 'paranormals' who have come to him have been disproven, doesn't mean it's not true...You know, you don't actually have to accept the money....
randi would say he had his eyes closed.
Huh?

(Q)

Trishtrish sez:

i don't heal for money... i don't feel the need for attention

It appears Trish^2 uses the standard excuses like all the rest - just another hoaxer.

trishtrish10

ceri, i would rather believe church reports than the secular media. i was falsely covered in three news paper articles so i don't trust secularism, but i do trust my church (catholic) and what they report.

sounds like randi needs a miracle just like u to be able to trust some authorities and people besides your God. just because a book is written doesn't mean it's flawed with lies like la hay and jenkins who write on the false prophecy of a rapture. hardly anyone outside the u.s. has even heard of the rapture and christianity didn't originate here.

(Q)

Then I must know you, too. :)

You can make all the ridiculous claims you want, but the proof is in the putting. And if you're not willing to show your so-called powers then you are either lying or delusional. Which one is it?

Gerani1248 said:
ya, i see your point mr. sprinkles. i mean, if they didnt exist why would the need to prove them? BUT THEY DO EXIST.

http://www.mcn.org/1/Miracles/
You actually believe that stuff? Yikes...

For starters, the Hindu milk "miracle" wasn't a miracle...it was capillary action, and mysteriously, the "weeping statues" secrete tears of chicken fat oil. Come on Gerani...you have better critical thinking skills than that! :rolleyes:

Melody

I don't know who this Randi person is, but in the grand scheme of things he's not important. A skeptic is a skeptic. Convince one and there are still thousands left.

I do Healing Touch and Reiki -- both forms of energy work. Praying is a form of energy work. When an HT or Reiki practitioner works on someone, we start with a prayer asking for God's intervention, state what we are asking to happen and always finishing with "but whatever you will for the greater good of this person." Essentially, we are asking God for something specific but acknowledging that we'll leave it in God's hands. It's that old adage...be careful what you ask for because you might get it.

For the skeptics, go out on the net and you'll find just as many detractors as you will advocates of energy work. Despite that, energy work is becoming respected and widely accepted as an alternative form of medicine to be used alongside traditional medicine in many hospitals. I saw an interview with an oncologist from the Toledo hospital state that this was outside his area of expertise and knowledge which argues that this should not be possible, but he can't argue with the positive results. No people aren't being cured of cancer, but they're discovering they aren't suffering as much from the toxic effects of chemotherapy.

To date I've never witnessed anyone being cured although most have had some alleviation (or even complete removal) of the pain and discomfort. These are miracles to me.

I would never put myself in the position of trying to prove that what I do works because I'm not the one doing the healing, so I never know what the outcome will be as it is always in God's hands but all the skeptics would see is that "oh ho....fraud!"

Melody

Ceridwen018

To date I've never witnessed anyone being cured although most have had some alleviation (or even complete removal) of the pain and discomfort. These are miracles to me.
This sounds more like psychological tactics than physical miracles. Through meditation, etc., it is possible for a person to 'alleviate' some of their pain, or at least train their mind to not think on it so much.

Hope

Princesinha
I believe in miracles. I have heard of some through credible sources---a man regrowing a leg, somebody actually being transported to another country instantaneously (wild, huh?), food reproducing magically (like with Jesus and the 5,000). I also think miracles occur simply in answered prayers, and I've had many of those! If they aren't answered prayers, then I've had an awful lot of coincidental things happen to me! But, personally, I don't believe in coincidences. All I know is that I've seen and experienced too many things that cannot be explained in the physical realm alone, and until somebody can give me a solid, scientific explanation for all of it, I will go on believing what my heart tells me--that this physical dimension is not all there is.

Melody

<<This sounds more like psychological tactics than physical miracles. Through meditation, etc., it is possible for a person to 'alleviate' some of their pain, or at least train their mind to not think on it so much.
>>

It depends on your philosophical beliefs. I believe God is the source of this healing.

Melody

Melody

<<If they aren't answered prayers, then I've had an awful lot of coincidental things happen to me! But, personally, I don't believe in coincidences.>>

Hope,
Same here. So many things have happened in my life as a result of prayer that I would have a hard time chalking it all up to coincidence.

Melody