• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Miqra Based Israelites

James Barnes

ג'יימס בארנס
As Israelites we should only subscribe to the Miqra (Tanakh) for spiritual guidance via El Elyon. I have listed the authorized books below:

Torah (תּוֹרָה "Teaching") commonly referred to as the "Five Books of Moses"

1. Bere**** (בְּרֵאשִׁית "In the beginning")—Genesis
  2. Shemot (שִׁמוֹת "Names")—Exodus
  3. Vayikra (ויקרא "And He called")—Leviticus
  4. Bəmidbar (במדבר "In the desert [of]")—Numbers
  5. Devarim (דברים "Things" or "Words")—Deuteronomy
Nevi'im (נְבִיאִים "Prophets") the "period of prophecy"

1. (יְהוֹשֻעַ / Yĕhôshúa‘)—Joshua
  2. (שופטים / Shophtim)—Judges
  3. (שְׁמוּאֵל / Shmû’ēl)—Samuel
  4. (מלכים / M'lakhim)—Kings
  5. (יְשַׁעְיָהוּ / Yĕsha‘ăyāhû)—Isaiah
  6. (יִרְמְיָהוּ / Yirmyāhû)—Jeremiah
  7. (יְחֶזְקֵיאל / Yĕkhezqiēl)—Ezekiel
13. (תרי עשר, Trei Asar, "The Twelve") The Twelve Minor Prophets

1) (הוֹשֵׁעַ / Hôshēa‘)—Hosea

2) (יוֹאֵל / Yô’ēl)—Joel

3) (עָמוֹס / ‘Āmôs)—Amos

4) (עֹבַדְיָה / ‘Ōvadhyāh)—Obadiah

5) (יוֹנָה / Yônāh)—Jonah

6) (מִיכָה / Mîkhāh)—Micah

7) (נַחוּם / Nakḥûm)—Nahum

8) (חֲבַקּוּק /Khăvhakûk)—Habakkuk

9) (צְפַנְיָה / Tsĕphanyāh)—Zephaniah

10) (חַגַּי / Khaggai)—Haggai

11) (זְכַרְיָה / Zkharyāh)—Zechariah

12) (מַלְאָכִי / Mal’ākhî)—Malachi

Ketuvim (כְּתוּבִים, "Writings")

The three poetic books (Sifrei Emet)

14. Tehillim (Psalms) תְהִלִּים

15. Mishlei (Book of Proverbs) מִשְלֵי

16. Iyyôbh (Book of Job) אִיּוֹב

The Five Megillot (Hamesh Megillot). These books are read aloud in the synagogue on particular occasions, the occasion listed below in parenthesis.

17. Shīr Hashīrīm (Song of Songs) or (Song of Solomon) שִׁיר הַשִׁירִים (Passover)

18. Rūth (Book of Ruth) רוּת (Shavuot)

19. Eikhah (Lamentations) איכה (Ninth of Av or Tisha B'Av) [Also called Kinnot in Hebrew.]

20. Qōheleth (Ecclesiastes) קהלת (Sukkot)

21. Estēr (Book of Esther) אֶסְתֵר (Purim)

Other books

22. Dānî'ēl (Book of Daniel) דָּנִיֵּאל

23. ‘Ezrā (Book of EzraBook of Nehemiah) עזרא

24. Divrei ha-Yamim (Chronicles)

rosends

If you rely on just those books then are you endorsing the practices of reading them on particular dates if those dates are only codified in text outside the Miqra?

rosends

No. I don't subscribe to text outside of Miqra.
So then why do you write, "The Five Megillot (Hamesh Megillot). These books are read aloud in the synagogue on particular occasions, the occasion listed below in parenthesis.

17. Shīr Hashīrīm (Song of Songs) or (Song of Solomon) שִׁיר הַשִׁירִים (Passover)

19. Eikhah (Lamentations) איכה (Ninth of Av or Tisha B'Av) [Also called Kinnot in Hebrew.]

20. Qōheleth (Ecclesiastes) קהלת (Sukkot)"

None of these facts (that they are read and the days on which each is read) exists in the Miqra.

James Barnes

ג'יימס בארנס
So then why do you write, "The Five Megillot (Hamesh Megillot). These books are read aloud in the synagogue on particular occasions, the occasion listed below in parenthesis.

20. Qōheleth (Ecclesiastes) קהלת (Sukkot)"

None of these facts (that they are read and the days on which each is read) exists in the Miqra.

I believe I misunderstood the question. I thought the question was do I subscribe to reading the Five Megillot on SPECIFIC days. When I said I don't subscribe to text outside of Miqra (the Reading) I was including the reading of the Hamesh Megillot.

rosends

I believe I misunderstood the question. I thought the question was do I subscribe to reading the Five Megillot on SPECIFIC days. When I said I don't subscribe to text outside of Miqra (the Reading) I was including the reading of the Hamesh Megillot.
So you DON'T advocate the reading of the texts at all?

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
As Israelites we should only subscribe to the Miqra (Tanakh) for spiritual guidance via El Elyon.
Nothing personal, I don't really care what you believe. But this statement doesn't sound at all Jewish. It implies that you consider yourself an authority on how Jewish people should do Scripture and religious practices. Something I have noticed about Jewish culture is that they don't much do that.
It sounds more Christian/ Muslim to me. Those people do it a lot more.
Tom

James Barnes

ג'יימס בארנס
I get the sense you are quizzing me. You are not my teacher and that right is reserved to one who teaches me. Now if you care to discuss a point of view... I'm all ears.

rosends

I get the sense you are quizzing me. You are not my teacher and that right is reserved to one who teaches me. Now if you care to discuss a point of view... I'm all ears.
I'm not quizzing you. I am asking how you list something which is not supported by what you state as your views. If you think it is too much to ask of someone that he be consistent and be able to explain what he does, then say so.