• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ministry distributes anti-LDS DVDs across state

Hema

Sweet n Spicy
I'm not even LDS and this makes me so angry. :verymad: What gives them the right to think that they have a monopoly on God? That is just ego at work!

jonny

This wasn't just distributed in AZ. Here is a list of the known areas where the DVDs were passed out:

New York: Palmyra
Texas: San Antonio
Utah: Riverton
Utah: Herriman
Utah: Murray
Utah: Ogden
Utah: American Fork
Alberta: Raymond
Arizona: 3 towns/cities

It was also broadcast on television in Los Angeles, California, in Ogden, Utah, and in parts of the Wasatch front in Utah. I guess they have partnered with an owner of some TV stations. More than 300,000 DVDs have been passed out with at least 200,000 more to come. I had a friend who got one and he said that they packaged them to make it look like it was something from the LDS church to 'trick' people into watching it. Hmm...'deception' as a missionary tactic. Very interesting.

jonny

The Anti-Defamation League has put out a statement about this:

Bill Straus, ADL Arizona Regional Director, observed: "This is the same kind of plain, old-fashioned Mormon-bashing that Jim Robertson and his group have been spewing for over a quarter-of-a-century. The only difference is that back then, it was the film, 'The God Makers,' and today it's the DVD, 'Jesus Christ/Joseph Smith.' It was wrong then, and it's wrong now."

ADL Regional Board Chair David Bodney added, "Hate directed at any of us is hate directed at all of us. From whomever that hate comes, and to whomever it's directed, ADL takes it very seriously and will continue to speak out against it."

http://www.adl.org/PresRele/ChJew_31/5013_31.htm

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
Well thank goodness for that! Until I joined this forum--I had no idea there was anti-LDS feeling out there, or that some organizations didn't consider LDS Christian.

I'm afraid I was fairly unaware of the sentiment until I started meeting LDSers through the forums, too. And it's sad to think that if I were to have been introduced to it, it would probably be by someone saying something unfounded and negative about them instead of from someone voicing the wish that more would stand up for the right of others to have their religion respected and not vilified.

silvermoon383

At least a dozen. And I've been following threads at mormonapologists.org that make it look like the distribution numbers had at least 1 extra zero in it when it got reported to the media.

Source

Bob Betts, Concerned Christians' office manager, said the DVD contrasts the teachings of Jesus Christ with those of Joseph Smith. He said about two dozen southeast Valley residents upset by the DVD called the ministry's office Monday morning to complain.

jonny

I've been watching clips on YouTube and honestly, so far, don't see what the big deal is. These people really don't understand Mormon doctrine. For example, they teach about the role of Christ in the pre-earth life (being called, yada, yada, yada) and then 'contrast' this with the Bible stating the Christ is the creator. Then they go on to say 'how can JS claim to be another testament of JC when its teachings about Christ are so different.' Um, yeah...

jonny

I love this lady - "With such astonishing differences between the word of God and word of Joseph Smith" - You'd think she'd say that after showing an "astonishing difference." So far, I haven't seen any in the videos.