• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mind from Mindlessness

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
Abiogenesis and Probability

The thought of mind arising from sheer mindlessness was something that never occured to me seriously until i read some things about abiogenesis, and evolution. That would be quite a miracle that mindless forces produced something of specific function and survival purposes. Its very hard to wrap my head around this being possible.

All of religious logic hinges on this being false.

But it is an awe inspiring miracle if found to be true.

I think new religions would rise up if it were found to be true. Perhaps in an endless sea of possibilities life and mind are inevitable. And if possibility was totally without limit maybe perhaps one day we will all transcend into something beyond our wildest hopes and dreams.

The idea that a purely physical arrangement produces consciousness life sounds to me totally lacking explanation of such a dynamic dimension. I by necessity must invoke another dimension to reality.

Suppose you could turn on and off consciousness like a switch. That still would not explain the existence of the dynamic of life. And if you could carefully construct the arrangement and thus create new life, how would you know that you were not tapping into an extra dimension of life?

Brain states and consciousness correlates to these brain states only tells you that they are in tight relation.

If you postulate God then perhaps a contrary reality exists where intelligence is the eternal starting point. Then God decided to let endless possibility have its way within a universe to see what could arise within it. We would be a great accident of experiment or something.

So either way, life as fluke, or life as inevitable occurence, or life is meant to be, or life is not meant to be, transcedentalists will still figure an grande purpose to life.

Last edited: