• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mind Control

Reptillian

Hamburgler Extraordinaire
Fact: Modern research has shown that it is possible to use strong magnetic fields on the human brain to influence perception and decision making.

In the future it's extremely likely we'll be able to create devices that rewire the neurons in a human brain to implant thoughts, influence decisions, and affect behavior.

Questions: When, if ever, is it ethical to do so? I'd imagine that death row inmates could have their brains influenced via directed magnetic stimulation to become "normal" members of society. Should all crimes be treated via reprogramming? Who decides what "normal" behavior is? Can this technology be used for good? Should soldiers have their brains' braveness centers stimulated before combat? Should artists and scientists have their brains' creativity regions stimulated? Since regions of the brain can be activated or rendered inert by magnetic stimulation, where does that leave us as far as responsibility for behavior and as a society?

Any thoughts at all on the subject?

idav

Being
Premium Member
It can be used to heal minds that are not healthy to begin with. Responsibility still lies with a person even with defective minds but I'm in favor of treatment over punishment when possible. We can't very well let people roam around with a defective mind which is about equal to letting people carry around defective weapons that could misfire at any moment.

Shuddhasattva

Very ethical: it is our brightest future, that we control our own minds through such application at the bio-nanotechnological level.

idav

Being
Premium Member
If you have mind control that's in any way focused or targetable, then this idea is stone dead.
I was thinking more about the medical applications rather than military applications but yes if a person is just a drone then the person with the remote control is responsible.