• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Militant Atheism: Religion Or Political Affiliation?

Earthling

David Henson
It's problematic in that there is such a stark contrast to the militant atheist and the average atheist on the street that finds the militant atheist somewhat embarrassing. The so called "militant" atheist is outspoken where the average atheist doesn't see the sense in directing that much attention on themselves. The average atheists doesn't bother themselves with the nonsensical doings of the believer. They don't care if the Nativity Scene is in the courtyard, or Christmas lights strung up at the local post office or whatever. 10 Commandments in the courthouse? Who cares? It's all corrupt nonsense anyway.

But if you talk to some of the militant atheists, once you get passed the bumper sticker slogans, billboard blasphemy, and incessant and inane ramblings about evolution, education and ecclesiastical society, it narrows down to politics.

They don't like people who vote opposite of them if those other people happen to believe in God. So, if they vote that its okay to kill babies if those babies are unwanted it pisses them off if someone believes in God and votes it isn't okay to kill babies. So the believers have no right to express their concern over the matter because they believe in God and this influences them? The whole of civilization is based upon such a belief.

It makes absolutely no sense. If one were to make a documentary on the militant atheists it would be like watching political convention. Nothing makes sense and everything seems like something it isn't.

Altfish

Veteran Member
It's problematic in that there is such a stark contrast to the militant atheist and the average atheist on the street that finds the militant atheist somewhat embarrassing. The so called "militant" atheist is outspoken where the average atheist doesn't see the sense in directing that much attention on themselves. The average atheists doesn't bother themselves with the nonsensical doings of the believer. They don't care if the Nativity Scene is in the courtyard, or Christmas lights strung up at the local post office or whatever. 10 Commandments in the courthouse? Who cares? It's all corrupt nonsense anyway.

But if you talk to some of the militant atheists, once you get passed the bumper sticker slogans, billboard blasphemy, and incessant and inane ramblings about evolution, education and ecclesiastical society, it narrows down to politics.

They don't like people who vote opposite of them if those other people happen to believe in God. So, if they vote that its okay to kill babies if those babies are unwanted it pisses them off if someone believes in God and votes it isn't okay to kill babies. So the believers have no right to express their concern over the matter because they believe in God and this influences them? The whole of civilization is based upon such a belief.

It makes absolutely no sense. If one were to make a documentary on the militant atheists it would be like watching political convention. Nothing makes sense and everything seems like something it isn't.
How many 'militant atheists' have attacked doctors and other staff at an abortion clinic; how many have flown planes into skyscrapers?
Indeed they are guilty of the heinous crime of using strong words to dismiss fanciful claims.

As my Mum used to say, "Sticks and stones will break my bones but words will never harm me"

Is it really 'Militant'?

exchemist

Veteran Member

I'm not sure militant atheists are really a thing, outside the world of TV studios and bookshops. They have their high priests (Dawkins, Dennett, etc) but do they really have followers who are public activists in the way you suggest? There are newspapers, e.g. the Guardian in the UK, who never miss an opportunity to slag off a church or run negative or jokey stories about Christianity (a lot more respectful towards Islam and Judaism, mind you), but as for public activism I don't really see it.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Well...I live in a country where the youngest generations are so atheized that it's cool to say you are an atheist even if you are not.
I admit I pretend to be an atheist with my colleagues or friends firstly because I am a very rationalist Christian...and secondly because saying to be "believer" does seem backward to many.
Even if the religion topic is mostly avoided.

As for the OP...I don't think militant atheism is a problem...but it does exist

Earthling

David Henson
How many 'militant atheists' have attacked doctors and other staff at an abortion clinic; how many have flown planes into skyscrapers?
Indeed they are guilty of the heinous crime of using strong words to dismiss fanciful claims.

As my Mum used to say, "Sticks and stones will break my bones but words will never harm me"

Is it really 'Militant'?

Uh . . . okay . . . what exactly is the problem? You disagree with the term militant? Is that the problem?

Definition of militant: combative and aggressive in support of a political or social cause, and typically favoring extreme, violent, or confrontational methods.

Definition of militant atheist: An atheist who has become insufferably elitest. Unlike a majority of most atheists, he has decided that it is his duty to rid the world of all religion. Ironically, he never shuts up about religion, putting him into the same level of irritation as most religious fundamentalists.

Earthling

David Henson
I'm not sure militant atheists are really a thing, outside the world of TV studios and bookshops. They have their high priests (Dawkins, Dennett, etc) but do they really have followers who are public activists in the way you suggest? There are newspapers, e.g. the Guardian in the UK, who never miss an opportunity to slag off a church or run negative or jokey stories about Christianity (a lot more respectful towards Islam and Judaism, mind you), but as for public activism I don't really see it.

Oh, no, these people are far from organized. I've seen more organized creatures running around farmyards with their heads cut off. No. They are only outspoken.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

What specific acts by militant atheists would you decry?
(It's easier to discuss actual events.)

Earthling

David Henson

I think . . . hmmm, wow . . . uh, look around? Here. On the forum?

Earthling

David Henson
What specific acts by militant atheists would you decry?
(It's easier to discuss actual events.)

I don't play that game. I don't say Muslims did 911. That would be stupid. I don't say Christians don't do horrible things. These people did that, communist bogeyman, etc.

I'll leave that to you.

What I'm talking about was mentioned in the post. With the militant atheists it's political frustration. Seems odd to me. Because, why should you not be free to vote just because you are a believer? Why do you have to have any sort of science adherence to run for office? Because the militant atheists LOVE science! But they're a minority of a minority and therefore not very well represented when it comes to illusory corrupt politics. It doesn't matter if they were, but at least there should be an illusion of misrepresentation.

I'm trying to understand it. Makes no sense to me.

Altfish

Veteran Member
Uh . . . okay . . . what exactly is the problem? You disagree with the term militant? Is that the problem?

Definition of militant: combative and aggressive in support of a political or social cause, and typically favoring extreme, violent, or confrontational methods.

Definition of militant atheist: An atheist who has become insufferably elitest. Unlike a majority of most atheists, he has decided that it is his duty to rid the world of all religion. Ironically, he never shuts up about religion, putting him into the same level of irritation as most religious fundamentalists.
The definition of 'militant' says it all; how do Sam Harris or Richard Dawkins fall into those categories?
The Militant Atheist is an evangelicals' or Fox News definition to back up a campaign against atheists. There is no such thing as a militant atheist.

Woberts

The Perfumed Seneschal
The average atheists doesn't bother themselves with the nonsensical doings of the believer. They don't care if the Nativity Scene is in the courtyard, or Christmas lights strung up at the local post office or whatever. 10 Commandments in the courthouse? Who cares? It's all corrupt nonsense anyway.
That's not the average atheist.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I don't play that game. I don't say Muslims did 911. That would be stupid. I don't say Christians don't do horrible things. These people did that, communist bogeyman, etc.

I'll leave that to you.

What I'm talking about was mentioned in the post. With the militant atheists it's political frustration. Seems odd to me. Because, why should you not be free to vote just because you are a believer? Why do you have to have any sort of science adherence to run for office? Because the militant atheists LOVE science! But they're a minority of a minority and therefore not very well represented when it comes to illusory corrupt politics. It doesn't matter if they were, but at least there should be an illusion of misrepresentation.

I'm trying to understand it. Makes no sense to me.
By eschewing specifics, it sounds like a broadly aimed rant.
I see nothing to respond to.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
The definition of 'militant' says it all; how do Sam Harris or Richard Dawkins fall into those categories?
The Militant Atheist is an evangelicals' or Fox News definition to back up a campaign against atheists. There is no such thing as a militant atheist.

Dawkins can be considered controversial in America, that is full of Creationists...
but here in Europe we have many Dawkinss

Altfish

Veteran Member
Dawkins can be considered controversial in America, that is full of Creationists...
but here in Europe we have many Dawkinss
I'll accept 'controversial' but not 'militant'. If Dawkins is militant then so are 50% of the evangelical preachers in the US.

Earthling

David Henson

Why would there be a campaign against atheists?

I gave the definitions here. This is what I think a militant atheist is. If y'all don't fall into that category, then what's the problem?

Definition of militant atheist: An atheist who has become insufferably elitest. Unlike a majority of most atheists, he has decided that it is his duty to rid the world of all religion. Ironically, he never shuts up about religion, putting him into the same level of irritation as most religious fundamentalists. Source

Last edited:

Altfish

Veteran Member
Why would there be a campaign against atheists?

I gave the definitions here. This is what I think a militant atheist is. If y'all don't fall into that category, then what's the problem?

If it makes you happy, so be it.

Earthling

David Henson
I'll accept 'controversial' but not 'militant'. If Dawkins is militant then so are 50% of the evangelical preachers in the US.

Well, that's kind of the point. It's a class struggle of sorts. Repugnant, but all things political are.