• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Migrants rush border crossing in Tijuana

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
San Ysidro border crossing closed for hours; U.S. officials fire tear gas at migrants

The Mexican border was closed for hours Sunday at the San Ysidro Port of Entry after a group of migrants in Tijuana stormed the area, prompting the U.S. Border Patrol to fire tear gas at the group.

The incident marks a serious escalation in the tensions that have roiled Tijuana in recent weeks as thousands of migrants from Central America have amassed there with hopes for entering the United States. President Trump has vowed to seal off the Mexican border in recent days and pushed to keep any migrants in Mexico as they await the immigration process.

The Coalition for Humane Immigrant Rights, CHIRLA, an immigrant rights organization in California, condemned the use of tear gas against immigrants at the border.

"It is a despicable act on the part of the Trump administration and CBP officials to attack defenseless women and children firing tear gas, a chemical agent, at them," Angelica Salas, executive director for the organization, said in a statement. "These are human beings who are reaching a point of desperation because their asylum claims are being processed at a snail's pace or not at all."

On Sunday morning, before the border closed, President Trump used his presidential Twitter account to blame Democrats for allowing border crossings, and suggested that Mexico and “originating countries” should prevent caravans from reaching the border, or forming at all. Such caravans, he wrote, are “a way they get certain people out of their country and dump in U.S. No longer.”

Less than 24 hours earlier, Trump had reiterated threats on Twitter to close the southern border — threats that have alarmed many in Mexico, since cross-border trade is a mainstay of the Mexican economy.

The new Mexican president takes office on December 1st, although they denied that there was any deal with Trump to have the asylum seekers wait in Mexico while their asylum claims are processed. The asylum seekers are saying that their claims are being processed at a snail's pace or not at all, which is why they're getting all riled up at the border.

Sen. Amy Klobuchar (D-Minn.) interviewed on ABC's "This Week," was dismissive of the president's efforts to blame Democrats for the failure to enact comprehensive immigration reform, saying Trump himself had "gut-punched" such efforts.

Klobuchar said the Trump administration “should have been working with these Central American countries a long time ago” to curb mass flight from violence and poverty.

Rep. Elijah Cummings (D-Md.), the incoming chairman of the House Oversight Committee, said on NBC's "Meet the Press” that he does not support a potential deal where asylum-seekers coming through Mexico would stay in Mexico until their court date in the United States.

"That's not the law," he said. "They should be allowed to come in, seek asylum, that's the law.”

Democrats are blaming Trump, while Trump is blaming the Democrats.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
At least the 'come in and seek asylum' is going to finally be over. Trump is going to change that to where they can seek asylum for the US while still in Mexico and it's coming pretty close to making it final.

Mexico agrees to hold asylum-seekers at border

Something imo that should have been done a long time ago short of going down to Honduras and doing a little 'fixing' down there which is what I think we should be doing next.

Anyways so much for the argument that immigrants are willing to obey the law and go through proper channels. That was pretty much a farce.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Democrats are blaming Trump, while Trump is blaming the Democrats.

The Democrats are just sticking their fingers in their ears and going nayh nayh nayh.

Trump already has been working on asylum reform with Mexico.

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member
If I understand correctly, these folks just need to go through due process, right? What is the issue? If a mob of people rush a border crossing area, steps need to be taken to secure that border until the boxes get checked.

Stanyon

WWMRD?
Mexico is going to deport about 500 trying to cross illegally and violently back to Honduras, great job Mexico!

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
If I understand correctly, these folks just need to go through due process, right? What is the issue? If a mob of people rush a border crossing area, steps need to be taken to secure that border until the boxes get checked.

I think the issue that they're complaining about is that the due process is happening at a snail's pace or not happening at all.

Stanyon

WWMRD?
I think the issue that they're complaining about is that the due process is happening at a snail's pace or not happening at all.

That is the claim at least, I believe the same person that said that is the media spokesperson for the caravan and they also appealed to emotions with the claim of the teargassing of women and children which probably just means some women and children were in the area where teargas was used. There is no way for her to know whether or not processing is happening at a snails pace or at all but that doesn't mean the cheerleader can't cheer for her team or claim some type of injustice, it is expected.

Quetzal

Premium Member
That might be perfectly valid but I can't speak to that. I am unsure of how the process works.

Axe Elf

Prophet
Dear Caravan Members;

If you wish to live in America, you'd better get used to anything that has to do with governmental processes taking place at a snail's pace or not at all.

Welcome to the country... eventually.

Sincerely,
Americans in line at the DMV.

Quetzal

Premium Member
You gotta stop being so reasonable.
What's there to fight over!?
You're right. *ahem*
THEY FIRED ON WOMEN AND CHILDREN, THIS IS A HORRID DISPLAY OF COWARDICE AT THE HANDS OF THIS HITLER-ESQ ADMINISTRATION. TRUMP DID THIS, EMAILS, GRAB EM BY THE etc etc. Outrage, etc.

Shad

Veteran Member

The previous policy was to release both refugees and immigrants into the general population based on promises to show for court hearings. Some would follow through while others had no intentions to do so. Ergo 30 million illegals.