• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Midterm skeletons in closets

robocop (actually)

Premium Member
Now that it's basically over I would like to think that Democrats won by having a better narrative.

Not so fast though.

$18 billion was spent. I got 6 emails an hour for like the last month or so mostly asking for money. They had video and I even wondered if they were deep fakes by the other party.

Even still, what about Democrats poring dark money into weaker candidates on the other side. Is that why they won?

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Now that it's basically over I would like to think that Democrats won by having a better narrative.

Not so fast though.

$18 billion was spent. I got 6 emails an hour for like the last month or so mostly asking for money. They had video and I even wondered if they were deep fakes by the other party.

Even still, what about Democrats poring dark money into weaker candidates on the other side. Is that why they won?
Question out of curiosity since I don’t know how it works in the US
Do candidates ask people for monetary donations during elections?

Altfish

Veteran Member

Not so fast though.

Democrats won because Abortion + Trump + Democracy

exchemist

Veteran Member
Yes, it seems these issues got out the young and the female vote sufficiently to prevent most of the Trumpy Big Lie candidates from being elected. What we now see is a reflective Republican party wondering - at long last! - if the mad and unpleasant personality cult of Trump is costing them too much support in the country.

Well, two cheers for that, at least. But it does show what a moral vacuum the Republican party now inhabits. This possible change of course (and they are not there yet) is motivated solely by considerations of electoral advantage rather than any notion of political principle.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Not so fast though.

AOC was chided for not helping fellow democrats in getting elected.

NY Democrat who lost his race criticizes AOC, saying she didn't campaign much and 'was nowhere to be found'

About the only thing I like about her actually.

Note to some....

Please don't faint over my complement over AOC.

exchemist

Veteran Member
AOC was chided for not helping fellow democrats in getting elected.

NY Democrat who lost his race criticizes AOC, saying she didn't campaign much and 'was nowhere to be found'

About the only thing I like about her actually.

Note to some....

Please don't faint over my complement over AOC.
Textbook example of the "Dead Cat Strategy": Hey, look over there, what about AOC? Whereas this thread is asking why the Democrats were unexpectedly successful.

Why do you think the Democrats were unexpectedly successful?

Twilight Hue

Textbook example of the "Dead Cat Strategy": Hey, look over there, what about AOC? Whereas this thread is asking why the Democrats were unexpectedly successful.

Why do you think the Democrats were unexpectedly successful?

Corruption. What else? Did you forget this years gerrymandering?

Why do you think states like NY and California have gotton so entrenched for decades now?

exchemist

Veteran Member
Corruption. What else? Did you forget this years gerrymandering?

Why do you think states like NY and California have gotton so entrenched for decades now?
The demographics and cosmopolitan outlook of urban Americans in the coastal cities. These are not rednecks clutching guns and bibles, who are terrified of immigrants.

Twilight Hue

The demographics and cosmopolitan outlook of urban Americans in the coastal cities. These are not rednecks clutching guns and bibles, who are terrified of immigrants.
Dosent help improve the situation for the better.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
But lefties keep telling me that some egghead
from Harvard calculated that democracy is dead
in Ameristan. The election results can only mean
that the oligarchy changed its mind....again.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
How did you vote? Why?

..., what about Democrats poring dark money into weaker candidates on the other side. Is that why they won?
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong. " - H.L. Mencken

Nevertheless, Wikipedia: Dark Money is worth reading.

Yes, dark money, is a contaminant. Yes, it's a contaminant that's been embraced by the Democratic Party. Yes, it would be great if we could eliminate dark money from the political process. But, no, I was not bought.

Altfish

Veteran Member
But lefties keep telling me that some egghead
from Harvard calculated that democracy is dead
in Ameristan. The election results can only mean
that the oligarchy changed its mind....again.
Democracy is still not good in US, just like the UK.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
No, you can't have a President who has not won the popular vote and call it a good democracy.
Sure we can. "Democracy" isn't limited to the ancient
definition of the people voting directly on all things.
In our more modern Republic, we just have a complex
system that has a few glitches arise occasionally.
OR as in my country a party with 43.8% of the vote has a huge majority in Parliament
Well, you guys are a bunch'o backsliding, log riding,
mouth breathing, still teething, powdered wig wearing,
not so daring, black pudding eating, king feting, fops.
Of course, I say this with the utmost respect.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Candidates, interest groups, supporter groups and anyone else campaigning for them.
Wow really?
Your guys probably spend like 10 times as much as our politicians do on campaigns.
And still they ask for donations!
Damn

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Wow really?
Your guys probably spend like 10 times as much as our politicians do on campaigns.
And still they ask for donations!
Damn
Yup. Amd Australia was the penal colony. While America was started by those who aren't even supposed to charge interest.