• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Midsummer (Sonnenreigen/Lughnasad/Солнцеворот)

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
Today is Midsummer, the Heart of Summer, and the middle point of the season! From here it's all down to cold, winter, and the end of the cycle.

Bald schon wird das Rad sich dreh´n (Soon the wheel will turn)
Werden wilde Stürme weh´n (Wild storms will blow)
Mit Rauhgesang der Winter nah´n (With rough singing the winter will close in)
So fängt der Kreis von Vorne an (So the circle begins anew)

Kommt und folgt uns in dem Reigen (Come and follow us in the dance)
Wir woll´n den großen Kreis beschreiben (We want to draw the great circle)
Wenn die Felder golden steh`n (When the fields are golden)
Werden wir uns wiederseh`n (We'll see each other again)

Last edited:

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
From here it's all down to cold, winter, and the end of the cycle.
Unless you live in the Southern Hemisphere, in which case this is the cold of winter, and from here's all up to heat and summer...:p

And in the tropics, it hardly matters...and everywhere it depends on when you believe the cycle to begin or end...:D

In my calendar, we have moved from Sprang into Summer. August 1 or so we move into Simmer...followed by Fall, Fell, Winter, Wonder, and Spring...:D

Regardless, everyone have a wonderful Solstice! And thank you, Ragin', for posting this thread!:cool:

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Unless you live in the Southern Hemisphere, in which case this is the cold of winter, and from here's all up to heat and summer...:p

And in the tropics, it hardly matters...and everywhere it depends on when you believe the cycle to begin or end...:D

In my calendar, we have moved from Sprang into Summer. August 1 or so we move into Simmer...followed by Fall, Fell, Winter, Wonder, and Spring...:D

Regardless, everyone have a wonderful Solstice! And thank you, Ragin', for posting this thread!:cool:
Come on, man!

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
Sadly I wasn't able to make a bonfire this year (too high winds), but here's the modest one I was able to manage last year (New Jersey had some really dumb fire laws where I lived)

10492546_10152478146600867_6539053997892999053_n.jpg

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member

Yeah! Represent the Southern Hemisphere!!!

Err...sorry. I just came here to wish you all a happy Solstice.

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
Oh, very well, ya crazy dingos! May the Gods watch over you and yours in the Heart of Winter, and may your stores keep through until the Sun breaks once more for Spring!

Liu

Wasn't the solstice yesterday already? Summer solstice - Wikipedia

In any case, happy solstice!
Looking forward for the cold to return :D

Btw, the translation of the first verse in the OP is a bit flawed.
Here's a better one:
"Bald schon wird das Rad sich dreh´n (Soon the wheel will turn)
Werden wilde Stürme weh´n (Wild storms will blow)
Mit Rauhgesang der Winter nah´n (With rough singing the winter will close in)
So fängt der Kreis von Vorne an (So the circle begins anew)"

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
Wasn't the solstice yesterday already?
Regardless of when the solstices and equinoxes fall astrologically, we tend to observe them on set days. So they follow every year as: Jól - Dec 21; Ostara - March 21; Midsummer - June 21; Harvest End - Sep 21. It makes observance less of a guessing game, and easier for Pagans who don't have easy access to anything that tells when the actual event is going to be.

Also thanks for the translation fix!

Last edited:

Liu

Regardless of when the solstices and equinoxes fall astrologically, we tend to observe them on set days. So they follow every year as: Jól - Dec 21; Ostara - March 21; Midsummer - June 21; Harvest End. It makes observance less of a guessing game, and easier for Pagans who don't have easy access to anything that tells when the actual event is going to be.

Also thanks for the translation fix!
I thought it just might have to do with different time zones that you didn't post earlier. Thanks for the explanation!
I don't really do much celebration, but I observe the solstices and equinoxes on their astrological date.
However, I understand why in a group setting a fixed date might be preferred.