• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Microsoft Windows 7

BucephalusBB

ABACABB
So yesterday the Release Candidate of Windows 7 arrived for the greater public.
Normally I format my pc at least once a year (Since Vista, back in the days I did it way more often) and the RC will be fully active untill march 2010, so I figured I give it a shot. By that time it will be released allready and I allready know I will be getting this one.

I decided to make it a standalone install this time. Normally I dualboot my beta's or RC's, But this time I wanted to refresh everything.
I can tell you, I was amazed! The install took my about 15 to 20 minutes, including formats. Install felt like the vista one.
After this my devicemanager gave no problems at all!! Everything was allready installed. This was perhaps the very first time, ever, I didn't need to install anything. I did ofcourse, as I was not fully satisfied with the drivers W7 gave me, but still..

In windows 7 you can easilly see that it is actually an improved Vista. Kinda like what Win'98 did to '95 when it comes to looks. A bit nicer, but the basics remain.
Lets hope the inside changes will equal the difference between '95 and '98.

When it comes to programs, I cannot say anything yet, It was about 1 after midnight yesterday and I needed some sleep. I'll post more after work :D

BucephalusBB

ABACABB
So far I installed Daemon tools, avg free, java, winrar and fallout 3 with addons without problems.

I must say, I am working only a few hours with this OS now and if this stays stable, I see no more use for Vista. It seems faster (that can be a new install itself ofcourse), UAC is improved greatly. You can customize it's toughness. And everything has a nice touch over it. Gadgets can be placed seperatelly instead of a toolbar. And it isn't that consuming anymore. Maybe I wil start using it this time :D

For XP users.. I was stubborn once as well...
But really, I can see where they would not move to Vista. So far, I cannot see why they should not move to W7. There is an XP mode coming soon to emulate XP in W7. (Finally I can play KotOR again) This was something missing in Vista.

Razer tarantula Keyboard - Check (Vista driver)
Logitech Z-Cinema Speakers - Check (Vista driver)
Logitech Setpoint for the MX REvolution - Gave a short notice that it was the wrong OS, but still installed, works perfectly - Check (Vista Driver)
Logitech Setpoint for the G9 (Different version) - Same notice, works perfect - Check (Vista driver)
Zalman FPSGUN mouse - Gave a few non-compatibillity messages, but works perfect - Check (Only Driver)
Logitech G13 Keyboard - Check (Vista driver)

Moar to come

Last edited:

BucephalusBB

ABACABB
calculator can be put in programmermode for hex.. nice :p

The taskbar is greatly improved. You can set programs to the bar so they will remain on the same stop every time you open them.
Notification icons can be opened above the clock instead of the left. Leaves room for programs.
And with one shortcut you can set different windows next to eachother.

Panda

42?
Premium Member
My dad showed me this a few months ago, he got it in at his work for testing, and he seems to also agree that it is far superior to Vista and that they will be converting all the PCs and laptops at his work to this soon. They never bothered with Vista because it was so full of junk.

BucephalusBB

ABACABB
I hope not too soon ;)
It's only the releasecandidate. The official releasedate isn't known yet, although there are speculations for october.

BucephalusBB

ABACABB
You can move programs along the taskbar to give them another spot. I am not sure if Vista could do this though, can anyone confirm?

Apex

Somewhere Around Nothing
Ill be installing this on my new 1T hard drive. I am going to set it all up this weekend.

Grazz

Got Windows 7 RC installed too.
The only thing it didn't recognize right away was my delta 1010lt soundcard. Best driver I could find was for vista 32bit sp1.
When I tried to install it it stalled because it didn't recognize windows 7. But immediately after that I got a popup message from windows 7: This driver was not installed correctly. Re-install using recommended settings?
After clicking ok the driver install program started again and this time it didn't stall and after rebooting everything worked correctly!

BucephalusBB

ABACABB
Got Windows 7 RC installed too.
The only thing it didn't recognize right away was my delta 1010lt soundcard. Best driver I could find was for vista 32bit sp1.
When I tried to install it it stalled because it didn't recognize windows 7. But immediately after that I got a popup message from windows 7: This driver was not installed correctly. Re-install using recommended settings?
After clicking ok the driver install program started again and this time it didn't stall and after rebooting everything worked correctly!

Does the menu that came with the drivers work as well?
Logitech gave me some non-compatible messages as well, but that's just because W7 isn't build in the install file as check.

ChrisP

Veteran Member
For Gamers:

On the gaming forums I visit it's been posted that Windows 7 in the next RC update will allow direct writing to Graphics memory. Currently the graphics memory is "paged" in the computer memory thus creating a duplicate, lag time and latency between the two. This is a MASSIVE improvement for gamers... when it comes out I will be installing the RC straight away (after a format...)

BucephalusBB

ABACABB
For Gamers:

On the gaming forums I visit it's been posted that Windows 7 in the next RC update will allow direct writing to Graphics memory. Currently the graphics memory is "paged" in the computer memory thus creating a duplicate, lag time and latency between the two. This is a MASSIVE improvement for gamers... when it comes out I will be installing the RC straight away (after a format...)
Hmm, I wonder how that will work out in my SLI setup. Because of SLI I am only using 512 MB of my 2x 512 MB. It would be nice if it can fit it on the other 512 :D

BucephalusBB

ABACABB
You can pin shortcuts of files onto shortcuts of programs :D
Paint has the new officelook..

Played Fallout3 for a couple of hours yesterday. No difference with Vista so far. All savegames were in the same place as vista put them.

ChrisP

Veteran Member
Hmm, I wonder how that will work out in my SLI setup. Because of SLI I am only using 512 MB of my 2x 512 MB. It would be nice if it can fit it on the other 512 :D
That is exactly right. And on top of that Windows can write straight to your SLI cards. :)

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
I am surprised by the positivity; I downloaded the evaluation version, and it felt very much like a "watered down" version of Vista.

Maybe we all look for different things in operating systems (I don't do any gaming which I notice you guys seem to be focussing on). It took me ages to accept Vista, but now I'm hooked. Maybe I'm slow to adapt; heck, I have it as dual boot so I'll have to give it some more time.:bow:

BucephalusBB

ABACABB
I am surprised by the positivity; I downloaded the evaluation version, and it felt very much like a "watered down" version of Vista.

Maybe we all look for different things in operating systems (I don't do any gaming which I notice you guys seem to be focussing on). It took me ages to accept Vista, but now I'm hooked. Maybe I'm slow to adapt; heck, I have it as dual boot so I'll have to give it some more time.:bow:

I am a gamer, but I don't solely use an OS for gaming. In fact, once a game started you won't even notice the OS anymore :p
I can tell you now, if you like Vista (by now) you are certainly going to like 7. For me it feels like the Vista Microsoft wanted to release, but couldn't due to not enough time. Vista was released in an important time for Mac. They had to.
It's the current XP users that will have problems coming over as 7 stll acts like Vista.
Personally I just cannot be stuck with an OS from the year (what?) 2001? Yeah, I believe I had it october 2001 or so. ("FCKGW-" for the ones that know :D)

BucephalusBB

ABACABB
Ok, so far, I have to be honest.. I feel that my games are giving me slightly less FPS than with Vista.
Hopefully this will get solved with drivers ofcourse :p

Panda

42?
Premium Member
I know this is a bit of an old thread but better than making a new one.

I am currently using Windows 7 Enterprise (build 7600) and am quite impressed with it. Vast improvements in loading times over Vista, a few changed to the layout which I also prefer. I think I even prefer it to XP.

Anyone else used this version?

Apex

Somewhere Around Nothing
I know this is a bit of an old thread but better than making a new one.

I am currently using Windows 7 Enterprise (build 7600) and am quite impressed with it. Vast improvements in loading times over Vista, a few changed to the layout which I also prefer. I think I even prefer it to XP.

Anyone else used this version?
I think that is the same version I am running on both my laptop and desktop and I love it.