• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Microsoft’s web browser now warns users about untrustworthy news

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
The story is good as far as it went, but ignored the history and availability as an add-on on Firefox and presumably Chrome.

Microsoft’s web browser now warns users about untrustworthy news: Here’s how your favorite publications stack up

For those that are tempted to jump to conclusions, both Breitbart and The Daily Kos are "not trustworthy". Some of the others surprised me in the "trustworthy with caveats" category such as Bloomberg and BBC.

I hunted around a bit and found a "NewsGuard" image and a bit more found that it's a Firefox add-on which I loaded in spite of the negative reviews which seemed over-the-top to me. Firefox add-on is here:

screen-shot-2019-01-15-at-3-25-14-pm.png

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
The story is good as far as it went, but ignored the history and availability as an add-on on Firefox and presumably Chrome.

Microsoft’s web browser now warns users about untrustworthy news: Here’s how your favorite publications stack up

For those that are tempted to jump to conclusions, both Breitbart and The Daily Kos are "not trustworthy". Some of the others surprised me in the "trustworthy with caveats" category such as Bloomberg and BBC.

I hunted around a bit and found a "NewsGuard" image and a bit more found that it's a Firefox add-on which I loaded in spite of the negative reviews which seemed over-the-top to me. Firefox add-on is here:

I like that. A lot. As long as Microsoft wont go bias with it and earns the respect required.

I still wish the fairness doctrine comes back.

Jumi

Microsoft judging the accuracy of the news? Who would judge if Microsoft is accurate themselves.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Microsoft judging the accuracy of the news? Who would judge if Microsoft is accurate themselves.
Microsoft is not judging. The story clearly says they are including Newsguard's report as is.

I've checked a number of sites against the Newsguard report and basically most of the ratings make perfect sense to me. The Newsguard full report allows people to dig deeper if they want.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I don't need software to tell me news is untrustworthy.
I have hardware to do that....a wooden sign.
s-l1000.jpg

It also applies to news.

Jumi

I wonder how they rate these "Gathers and presents information responsibly" and "Handles the difference between news and opinion responsibly". As far as I see, there's almost no piece of news that doesn't hide a deal of opinion hiding as part of the news. It's tricky not to evaluate those from an objective standpoint.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

I'm not sure how much stock I would put into something like this. A lot of news is pretty mundane and coming from the same wire sources that most newspapers and websites use.

In the case of political stories, there's bound to be a slant one way or another. An informed reader would realize that from the start. I think a lot of political news has descended to the level of celebrity gossip, fashion magazines, and colorful sportscasting. Or maybe more like Soap Opera Digest.

I'm reminded of a line from Paul Newman's character in Absence of Malice:

You don't write the truth. You write what people say. What you overhear, you eavesdrop. You don't come across truth that easy. I mean, maybe it's just what you think, what you feel.