• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Microevolution: YEA! Macroevolution: BOO!

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Sir, the word of God is truth whether you or I accept it or not. God's word isn't optional. Heaven isn't a democracy. You either believe it and accept it or you dont. It saddens me to hear you say you know it better than I do yet you do not believe it. If this is true, the greater you have condemned yourself by your own words.

God does not condemn any man, but a man condemns himself by his own heart.
And the last play by a truly empty player -- try to frighten me. Sorry, not scared.

Do you know what (and I promise you, you don't know what)? If there really were the God you propose, he would know precisely and completely the reasons that I do not believe in him -- and respect me for it.

Try to get your mind around that, if you can. :cool:

Skwim

Veteran Member
Sure. Yet you ignore that it was scientists that perpetrated the hoax in the first place. You know, those non-biased totally neutral guys who belch out your theories without knowledge?
As if Christianity isn't without its bad apples.

hqdefault.jpg
5712442.jpg

.................................................Kent Hovind....................................................................................Jim and Tammy Faye

DFN8DeOWAAcX0uL.jpg
fred_phelps-tm.jpg

....................................................Jimmy Swaggart ......................................................................................Fred Phelps Sr.​

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Why would a religious person take their religion's sacred texts as just another piece of literature? Of course they're going to see it in a different category.
Agreed, but consider this: theirs is not the only "sacred text." There are others -- lots of them, in fact. And that presents the very difficult problem of explaining how "the real god gave me my sacred text" and "everybody else was duped." And of course, that's not just the Christians. From the point of view of any human religion, that question has to be answered.

I haven't seen the answer yet -- have you?

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Agreed, but consider this: theirs is not the only "sacred text." There are others -- lots of them, in fact. And that presents the very difficult problem of explaining how "the real god gave me my sacred text" and "everybody else was duped." And of course, that's not just the Christians. From the point of view of any human religion, that question has to be answered.

I haven't seen the answer yet -- have you?
I don't have all the answers. The closest I know from my experiences is that there's Someone "out there" Who loves us and that agape love should be the measure of all things in our doings, our petty differences aside.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
I don't have all the answers. The closest I know from my experiences is that there's Someone "out there" Who loves us and that agape love should be the measure of all things in our doings, our petty differences aside.
Then I hope you won't mind my asking: what "experiences" are you really talking about when you say that there's "someone out there who loves us?" How would your experiences compare to the 2 grandparents and 4 children who died last week in Texas when their car was washed away by hurricane Harvey? How would your experiences compare to mine, whose own parents (so far as he knew at the time) tried to kill him?

I don't get this "from my experiences" bit that believers so often cite.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Then I hope you won't mind my asking: what "experiences" are you really talking about when you say that there's "someone out there who loves us?" How would your experiences compare to the 2 grandparents and 4 children who died last week in Texas when their car was washed away by hurricane Harvey? How would your experiences compare to mine, whose own parents (so far as he knew at the time) tried to kill him?

I don't get this "from my experiences" bit that believers so often cite.
We're all going to die someday and in some fashion. Death is a tragedy, but that's the world we have to live with. Our sojourn on this earth is temporary. I have and am still dealing with the tragedy of my mother dying relatively young from cancer. But I believe that life goes in beyond the grave and so does love. The body is just one part of us and there's another part that continues on.

As for your abusive experiences, I'm sorry you went through that. Some humans are just depraved and nasty, in their own brokenness. I come a very abusive (physical and psychological) background, myself. But I can't let that stop me from trying to rise above that and forgive those who wronged me.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
We're all going to die someday and in some fashion. Death is a tragedy, but that's the world we have to live with. Our sojourn on this earth is temporary. I have and am still dealing with the tragedy of my mother dying relatively young from cancer. But I believe that life goes in beyond the grave and so does love. The body is just one part of us and there's another part that continues on.

As for your abusive experiences, I'm sorry you went through that. Some humans are just depraved and nasty, in their own brokenness. I come a very abusive (physical and psychological) background, myself. But I can't let that stop me from trying to rise above that and forgive those who wronged me.
But you completely ignored my request to talk about what you call your "experiences that show there's someone out there who loves us." Don't feel sorry for me -- I don't -- just answer the question.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
But you completely ignored my request to talk about what you call your "experiences that show there's someone out there who loves us." Don't feel sorry for me -- I don't -- just answer the question.
What is it you wish to know about it? I believe what I do through prayer and lots of contemplation.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Well, if you feel your intelligence and wisdom are so much greater than mine then stop asking me questions. Obviously all you really want is an opportunity to brow beat a poor, stupid Bible believer. So do your browser beating and get it over with. I'll die before I give up my faith so I couldn't care less what you say or do even to the point of death.

So puff up your pride and be done with it.
Ad Hom.
Very convincing. :rolleyes:
Sure. Yet you ignore that it was scientists that perpetrated the hoax in the first place. You know, those non-biased totally neutral guys who belch out your theories without knowledge?
Only one man, the hoaxer himself, was aware it was a hoax -- and he wasn't a scientist.
You can criticize the shoddy methodology and the credulity of the examiners, but there was no conspiracy, and, once exposed, the artifact was no longer cited in scientific circles.
I don't see the religious correcting the known mistranslations, misattributions, or alterations in their holy writings, much less criticizing them.
Why would a religious person take their religion's sacred texts as just another piece of literature? Of course they're going to see it in a different category.
If one's eternal life were at stake, I'd expect a little more meticulous analysis of the various claims. If you're facing a lake of fire, it's important to get it right.
-- or are the religious only looking for psychic comfort...
Sir, the word of God is truth whether you or I accept it or not. God's word isn't optional. Heaven isn't a democracy. You either believe it and accept it or you dont. It saddens me to hear you say you know it better than I do yet you do not believe it. If this is true, the greater you have condemned yourself by your own words.
But what is the word of God -- the Guru Granth? The Tao? The Rik?
I'll bet if you'd been raised in Riyadh you'd be pushing the Quran.