• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Michael Jackson Dies

whereismynotecard

Treasure Hunter
I read some are celebrating his death because he was a child molester.

Thoughts?

I wouldn't celebrate his death unless I was certain that he molested children.
A lot of people claim to KNOW he is guilty or innocent, but unless they were
there, they couldn't know for sure and shouldn't claim to know.

But really, he's just another guy. Everyone has got to die sometime.

Smoke

Done here.
I have a feeling that Michael Jackson's death will be this generation's "Where Were You When"....

I thought this generation's "where were you" moment was 9/11, and with all due respect to MJ's fans, I don't think his passing is anywhere near comparable.

Actually, I'm just old enough to remember where I was when I heard that President Kennedy had been shot, so I've got two of those moments.

Smoke

Done here.
I read some are celebrating his death because he was a child molester.

Thoughts?

I'm not certain he was a child molester. I mean, it looks pretty fishy to me, but he was such an odd duck in so many respects, who knows?

I don't think it's usually a very good idea to celebrate anybody's death. On the other hand, I don't have any problem with telling jokes, and I find it odd when people seem to expect me to say I'm shocked and griefstricken by some celebrity's death.

I was trying to think of a celebrity whose death would make me feel I'd suffered a deep personal loss. The best I could come up with was B. B. King, and I don't think even that would overwhelm me. Maybe I've just buried too many people I actually knew.

Arlanbb

I guess it is better that MJ passed away now than in two weeks when he would be doing his thing in London. A lot of $$$$$$$$$$ are going to have to be given back. What make me so sick is about all the programs on TV this evening could not stop outdoing themselves. One colored person after another were so upset over it, like part of them died also. I away felt that he was trying to preform some type of sexual act on stage which turned me off to him and his music. I say good by to the child he was.

Mister_T

Forum Relic
Premium Member
Actually, that's not what happened.
Actually, that is what happened.

Mister_T said:
However, if I had felt my children had really been molested of someone of his status and that person offered me settlement money, I would have told that person to stick it and see to it that the courts prosecute him so he doesn't harm anymore children. Unfortunately, that is not what happened as we all know....people took settlement money and dropped all charges

By January 1, 1994, $2 million had been spent by prosecution departments in California, two Grand Juries had questioned two hundred witnesses, but Jordan's allegations could not be corroborated.[34] A few weeks later, Chandler's attorney, Larry Feldman, petitioned the court that he should be allowed access to Jackson's finances over concerns that the singer's wealth would give him an unfair advantage in court. One adviser to Jackson stated, "You can take pictures of Michael's **** and he's not gonna like it, but once you start trying to figure out how much money he has, that's where he stops playing around."[34] On January 25, Jackson settled a civil suit out of court. He agreed to pay a total of $22 million to Jordan, Chandler, June Chandler (the mother) and prosecution attorney Larry Feldman.[27][34] Jordan refused to testify in a criminal trial, neither the police nor the Grand Jury pressed criminal charges, citing a lack of evidence, Jackson was not charged with a crime.[11][13][27][34] Both parties signed a legal agreement declaring they would not speak about the case details. When asked why he paid off his accuser, Jackson answered, "I wanted to go on with my life. Too many people had already been hurt. I want to make records. I want to sing. I want to perform again...It's my talent. My hard work. My life. My decision."[34] He also wanted to avoid a "media circus".[11]
1993 child sexual abuse accusations against Michael Jackson - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Watchmen said:
One case did go all the way through trial and he was acquitted,
And one case involved people ceasing further prosecution once settlement money came into the picture. What's your point?

Watchmen said:
which begs the question: if he did molest children and the court system wasn't going to remedy the situation, wouldn't it be better to take the settlement money?
If he didn't molest children and the court found the man is innocent, then what is there to remedy? People could also remedy their own situation by not refusing to take the stand and not signing gag-orders on themselves - I doubt very many people would sign such a thing if they felt their child was truly violated. Would you?

Last edited:

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I am just puzzled why people thought he was such an exceptional performer. He did not write any brilliant lyrics, he did not play any instruments (I am aware of) and his voice was less than moving. OK, so he could dance is a slightly spastic way. Big deal. Then again, I guess we can thank him for making the crotch grab acceptable.

King of Pop? I think not. King of Weird, might be more appropriate.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation

I'm not the biggest fan there is. I liked him in the 80s. But, regardless of what you think of his stuff, you simply can't deny that he was the king of pop. That title is not so much a comment on the quality of his music or dancing, but on the success and popularity of it, and he there are very few musical artists (and none in what we call "pop" these days) who have had the impact he did on modern music.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I'm not the biggest fan there is. I liked him in the 80s. But, regardless of what you think of his stuff, you simply can't deny that he was the king of pop. That title is not so much a comment on the quality of his music or dancing, but on the success and popularity of it, and he there are very few musical artists (and none in what we call "pop" these days) who have had the impact he did on modern music.
I understand all that, but can we really say he had a positive impact? Like... seriously.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
I understand all that, but can we really say he had a positive impact? Like... seriously.

As far as music goes, yes, we can say he had a positive impact. His personal life is a different story, but I don't see how that would affect his title of King of Pop.

Watchmen

Premium Member
I am just puzzled why people thought he was such an exceptional performer. He did not write any brilliant lyrics, he did not play any instruments (I am aware of) and his voice was less than moving. OK, so he could dance is a slightly spastic way. Big deal. Then again, I guess we can thank him for making the crotch grab acceptable.

Concert Attendance: 750 MILLION

Grammys: 13

Best selling album of all time

Revolutionized the music video

Revolutionized music

Revolutionized dance

Whatever you don't recognize, millions of others did.

Watchmen

Premium Member
Actually, that is what happened.

1993 child sexual abuse accusations against Michael Jackson - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And one case involved people ceasing further prosecution once settlement money came into the picture. What's your point?

If he didn't molest children and the court found the man is innocent, then what is there to remedy? People could also remedy their own situation by not refusing to take the stand and not signing gag-orders on themselves - I doubt very many people would sign such a thing if they felt their child was truly violated. Would you?

Actually it is what happened and you admitted it. He was acquitted.

People who are legally and personally wronged settle all the time. Didn't you know that?

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Concert Attendance: 750 MILLION
Logical fallacy - appeal to numbers.

Grammys: 13
Though often an indicator that something is good, the Grammy's also tend to reflect what sells well and is not necessarily a sign of musical genius.

Best selling album of all time
Logical fallacy - appeal to numbers (again). This only proves that many people lack good taste.

Revolutionized the music video
Yes, he proved that if you spend enough money on an inane product and hire a great director you will probably get a pretty neat final product.

Revolutionized music
Only in as much as others figured they could make a lot of money copying his routines. *yawn*

Revolutionized dance
I will give him credit for being a pretty interesting dancer... but... not a lot more.

Whatever you don't recognize, millions of others did.
Appeal to numbers fallacy ... for the third time. What millions of others "recognized" did not escape my notice. I simply refused to go along with the idea that what I was seeing was somehow great.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
People who are legally and personally wronged settle all the time. Didn't you know that?
True but there is the reality that if you or I were caught in similar circumstances we would be reading threads on RF from behind prison walls, as it is unlikely that either of us would have the money to afford the best legal minds available to defend us. You have to remember that the law works differently if you are rich and famous. 'Tis a fact, in case you hadn't noticed.