• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Michael Flynn says Covid was created by ‘global elites’

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I mean compared to how it could be, hasn't caused any mass murder or something like that. Just basic political ideologies that formed nations have done that much (that you described). To me it's more amusing if anything, and at best slightly sympathetic.
It's a mental pathology currently being exploited by the Far Right.
It's dangerous. Read some history -- or just read the news. Such "amusing theories" have led to massive repression, destruction and war.

Last edited:

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
It's because personal careers and blind self serving ambitions get in the way of creating good policy.
It's because of Reagan's Neoliberal, small government, free-market deregulation of 1980-'81. Business had carte blanche to do whatever it wanted, without government interference ("regulation").

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Honestly I thought COVID being a lab leak was the mainstream theory for many ages because I don't read/watch the news or hang around other people. I still basically think that's the case. Last I checked it had become common to say there was evidence for it. All my opinion.
You thought? If you don't read the news, what do you base your opinions on? Thinking is critical analysis of data.

exchemist

Veteran Member
I mean compared to how it could be, hasn't caused any mass murder or something like that. Just basic political ideologies that formed nations have done that much (that you described). To me it's more amusing if anything, and at best slightly sympathetic.
No, I'm with @Valjean on this. It is serious.

In the US today, you have a significant proportion of the country either swallowing the Big Lie, or going along with it for reasons of tribal political loyalty, that the last election was stolen and that the US voting system can't be trusted. This in the face of mountains of evidence, from a wide range of sources, including about 50 court judgements, that it is secure and robust.

The way to get people into that absurd frame of mind is to undermine their hold on reality*, so that they cease to trust anything and instead place their faith in their Leader. QAnon is all a part of this, albeit at one extreme end of the spectrum of crazy falsehood, which is why it is encouraged, either tacitly or overtly, by people like Trump, Flynn, Taylor Greene and others.

If about 30% or more of the population convince themselves the voting system is rigged, the news can't be trusted and instead they must place all their faith in a Leader and his acolytes, you are marching down the road to insurrection and and dictatorship. According to what I read, the USA is at 25%. You can see some of them on this forum.

* cf. Hitler, Stalin and Orwell's 1984.

Last edited:

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Honestly part of me believes covid was man made.
The virologists I've read and listened to say it's not at all likely, because if they used genetic splicing there's be tell-tale signs. Also, covid viruses are a dime a dozen in that region near Wuhan as especially found in bat caves.

I base that on how they came up with a vaccine so quick.
According to a virologist I listened to, a "simple" process of computer copy & paste of the virus and find that which negates its workability-- like matter & anti-matter. It's well over my head though. :emojconfused:

F1fan

Veteran Member
Flynn is using division to gain political power and with right wing media they can deliver messages that get no criticism. Flynn made a point that the USA should have one religion last week, and we know which religion that is. This is exploiting fear and belief in conservative Christians. How can they believe they can get away with this as a national platform AND advocate for freedom, rights, and liberty?

Boerbet is also in the news this week for her racist and divisive comments. She must think this is a way to get more allegiance and create more suspicion of democrats. Is this acceptable?

Video shows Republican congresswoman making racist remarks about colleague - CNN Video

We Never Know

No Slack
That's ridiculous. The virus appeared in China but the first vaccines came not from China but from Europe (Germany and the UK) and the US. The Chinese were quick to sequence the virus and share the information in full, which is what enabled this to happen. What everyone was able to build on was knowledge of the previous SARS and MERS coronaviruses, around which quite a lot of research had been done..............precisely because of awareness that there could be another similar virus one day. .

All of this is well documented and in the public domain.

Like I said "part of me believes it".
It may be wrong but its how I feel.

We Never Know

No Slack
The virologists I've read and listened to say it's not at all likely, because if they used genetic splicing there's be tell-tale signs. Also, covid viruses are a dime a dozen in that region near Wuhan as especially found in bat caves.

According to a virologist I listened to, a "simple" process of computer copy & paste of the virus and find that which negates its workability-- like matter & anti-matter. It's well over my head though. :emojconfused:

Here's an interesting link with several hypotheses.

"Chinese researchers have not succeeded in finding a “direct progenitor” of this virus in any animal they’ve looked at. Liang said China had tested 50,000 animal specimens, including 1,100 bats in Hubei province, where Wuhan is located. But no luck: a matching virus still hasn’t been found."

No one can find the animal that gave people covid-19

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Had a mask company had any knowledge of the coming pandemic, it would have had supplies, machines, personnel and distribution facilities ready to go, at the outset of the pandemic. As it was, there were worldwide shortages and no company managed to corner the market.
Yes, Big Pharma is making money on this, but there's no indication it planned or created the market. It just took advantage of a lucrative opportunity.
And a good market is going to let such an opportunity pass by ever. I'm pretty certain this will be perpetuating over and over for a considerable amount of time.

exchemist

Veteran Member
And a good market is going to let such an opportunity pass by ever. I'm pretty certain this will be perpetuating over and over for a considerable amount of time.
I'm sure it will, just as there has been for many years a good business to be had from making car seat belts or industrial safety hats. Or condoms.

What I find objectionable in your attitude is the insinuation that the need to wear masks has been in some nebulous way fabricated by companies that want to profit from selling them. The demand for wearing masks came from the medical profession, not business, and their efficacy is now supported by good data.