• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Miami mocked for Africa-themed police for Black History month

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Miami mocked for Africa-themed police for Black History month: 'THIS CANNOT BE' (msn.com)

The city of Miami received mockery on Thursday after Mayor Francis Suarez unveiled a new police cruiser decorated with Africa-themed imagery to celebrate Black History Month.

MiamiPolice2.jpg

"This is a beautiful collaboration to commemorate Black history and Black History Month and the history of African Americans and our police department and our city," Suarez said. "This is Black history."

Miami Police Chief Manuel Morales was also in attendance for the unveiling.

Florida-based reporter Joshua Caballos claimed that the mayor’s office was not involved with the cruiser’s design.

"I just spoke to Black police union (@mcpba1946) president Stanley Jean-Poix. He said Mayor Suarez's office had nothing to do with the design of the car," he wrote. "the design had the full approval of the union before it was unveiled. ‘It celebrates our African ancestry’ he said."

However, not everyone was happy about the new police vehicle.

Former President & Director-Counsel of LDF (NAACP Legal Defense Fund) Sherrilyn Ifill was one such example, who tweeted, "THIS CANNOT BE."

Some Twitter users mocked the car for being a tonedeaf tribute to Black History Month.

MSNBC legal analyst Charles F. Coleman tweeted, "1. Because Florida 2. Tell me you don't have a D&I person without telling me you don't have a D&I person. 3. No, you don't get credit for just trying. This type of tone deaf performative action is what provokes a ‘war on wokeness’ when we are made to accept the unacceptable."

Washington Examiner columnist T. Becket Adams wrote, "I laughed out loud."

Frequent MSNBC guest and outspoken liberal Elie Mystal tweeted, "... ... Wut Is This? ????????"

"I AM WHEEZING," Washington Post columnist Karen Attiah tweeted.

"The CEO of racism just had to file for Chapter 11 bankruptcy," digital strategist Greg Price joked that racism had been destroyed by the car's political message.

Fox News Digital reached out to Suarez's office for comment about the criticism, but did not immediately receive a response.

They say that the Black police union gave its full approval to the design, but these reactions aren't really that surprising. These PR stunts come off as insincere pandering which can make strained race relations even worse. As one person quoted in the article said "This type of tone deaf performative action is what provokes a ‘war on wokeness’ when we are made to accept the unacceptable." I think he has a point when some things come across as way over the top.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Miami mocked for Africa-themed police for Black History month: 'THIS CANNOT BE' (msn.com)

MiamiPolice2.jpg

They say that the Black police union gave its full approval to the design, but these reactions aren't really that surprising. These PR stunts come off as insincere pandering which can make strained race relations even worse. As one person quoted in the article said "This type of tone deaf performative action is what provokes a ‘war on wokeness’ when we are made to accept the unacceptable." I think he has a point when some things come across as way over the top.
The most important thing for cops is to polish their image.
Spend money on such graphics...not on proper supervision
or training their strike forces to read addresses on warrants.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

MiamiPolice2.jpg

I understand the motivation but it also raises questions if law enforcement (or any government agency) should be promoting topics of bias/controversies when it should be as neutral and vanilla as possible. Hence display its a police cruiser to the public and nothing else.

To put it in context, what if it promoted something along the lines of Southern Pride Day, or celebrating Cloumbus Day?

I don't think taxpayer dollars should really be used in these, what I regard, as the personal endeavors of those in charge.

Twilight Hue

The most important thing for cops is to polish their image.
Spend money on such graphics...not on proper supervision
or training their strike forces to read addresses on warrants.
Yes. An educated policeman or woman is your best officer.

Soandso

The authorities usually play an antagonistic role in black history. I think the more tasteful thing would be for them to recognize that fact and to organize an event like a cookout where the public can interract with them, tell them their concerns, and to work towards strengthening their relations with the local neighborhood, IMO

Twilight Hue

The authorities usually play an antagonistic role in black history. I think the more tasteful thing would be for them to recognize that fact and to organize an event like a cookout where the public can interract with them, tell them their concerns, and to work towards strengthening their relations with the local neighborhood, IMO
The police department has a bagpipe band during the Scottish festival in my area. They are awesome!

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Given the racism being displayed in too many places by many-too-many people, I'm not bothered by those decorations. And given the racist attitude displayed in Congress and Florida, I don't give a rat's *** that some don't like it.

Twilight Hue

Two factors I think are no longer being used.

The cop on the beat, ergo community policing.

Residency requirements where the police live in the areas they patrol , which would promote active investment within the community.

Soandso

Two factors I think are no longer being used.

The cop on the beat, ergo community policing.

Residency requirements where the police live in the areas they patrol , which would promote active investment within the community.

Well, that explains a lot

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I have a problem with that in that I think it's generally good to celebrate diversity, not deny or hide it.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Weird design choice. Colour me unconvinced that an African-themed car makes youth in Miami view the police as more in touch with the local community.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I understand the motivation but it also raises questions if law enforcement (or any government agency) should be promoting topics of bias/controversies when it should be as neutral and vanilla as possible. Hence display its a police cruiser to the public and nothing else.
Racists are those who find things like Black History Month or promoting the safety, wellbeing and dignity of black people controversial. Negrophobia is what it is. This topic is neutral and as vanilla as it gets. Black people contributed a lot to this nation and it mostly goes uncredited. There's nothing controversial about giving what has been due.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
This story was kind of along similar lines: Aramark apologizes for serving racially insensitive meal at Nyack Middle School on first day of Black History Month - CBS New York (cbsnews.com)

Instead of the Philly cheesesteak, broccoli and fresh fruit that appeared on the school's lunch calendar, Aramark, the food service company that provides meals to the district, served chicken and waffles with watermelon.

"I was questioning because they don't usually give watermelon," Honore said.

But this isn't the first time Aramark found itself in hot water. Back in 2018, another racially insensitive meal was served at New York University during Black History Month. It included barbecued ribs, collard greens, cornbread, Kool-Aid and watermelon-flavored water. When called out, the company apologized and workers were fired.

"I thought they learned from their last mistake, but I guess not," Honore said.

Twilight Hue

Racists are those who find things like Black History Month or promoting the safety, wellbeing and dignity of black people controversial. Negrophobia is what it is. This topic is neutral and as vanilla as it gets. Black people contributed a lot to this nation and it mostly goes uncredited. There's nothing controversial about giving what has been due.
I agree but not on a government vehicle.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Black people contributed a lot to this nation and it mostly goes uncredited.
You must be listening to white supremacist radio staitons.
NPR goes on & on giving blacks credit.
Especially this month.
Slavery cannot be rectified or atoned for by putting
spendy oddball graphics on cop cars. What they
should do is put better cops inside the cars.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
You must be listening to white supremacist radio staitons.
From my history books at school the English came, improved what the French and Spanish had, fought against angry, spiteful Natives and what they didn't do themselves was apparently the result of magic. And of course the perpetual stupidity that it's the claim that Columbus discovered America. And it's actually worse when the Church teaches it. Their version of history, biology and human evolution would be approved of by Uncle Ruckus (especially the part of saying how being white is the original and default human color).
You also have to consider where I'm from. There it's a norm to hear people complain about Black History Month and anything that spotlights black people in a positive way. I heard that crap all the time.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
From my history books at school the English came, improved what the French and Spanish had, fought against angry, spiteful Natives and what they didn't do themselves was apparently the result of magic. And of course the perpetual stupidity that it's the claim that Columbus discovered America. And it's actually worse when the Church teaches it. Their version of history, biology and human evolution would be approved of by Uncle Ruckus (especially the part of saying how being white is the original and default human color).
You also have to consider where I'm from. There it's a norm to hear people complain about Black History Month and anything that spotlights black people in a positive way. I heard that crap all the time.
Get with the times, toots!
This ain't elementary school in pre-21st century
rural Indiana. Blacks get credit these days.
And they rule in the Victimhood Olympics.
Oh, & the reparations are just start'n to flow.