• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MI resident puts toilet on front lawn with sign "Place mail in ballots here"

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Officials: Toilet display mocking mail-in voting is a crime

BB19d56Z.img

Apparently this is a crime.

MASON, Mich. (AP) — A Michigan resident’s apparent joke showing disdain for voting by mail is no laughing matter for one election official.

Barb Byrum, the Democratic clerk of Ingham County, filed a complaint with police over the display, saying it could mislead people who aren’t familiar with the voting system.

“It is a felony to take illegal possession of an absentee ballot,” Byrum said Friday.

“Elections in this country are to be taken seriously and there are many people who are voting by mail for the first time this election,” she said.

She didn’t identify the person who lives at the address. The lawn also has a sign that calls for the recall of Democratic Gov. Gretchen Whitmer.

No one answered the door Friday night, the Lansing State Journal reported.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
It would be a crime. At the same time, it's clearly a joke, and far less problematic than some of the crap being spread by the President on the same issue.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
It would be a crime. At the same time, it's clearly a joke, and far less problematic than some of the crap being spread by the President on the same issue.
Only takes one idiot to turn a joke into a serious crime...

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Am I the only one here who'd be tempted to sneak in at night and dump another kind of 'ballot' in there?
-- and, of course, to add a hyphen to the sign?

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
To call it a crime would mean that anyone
would miss the joke, & take it seriously.
This display is free speech at its finest.
The homeowner was johnny on the spot.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Am I the only one here who'd be tempted to sneak in at night and dump another kind of 'ballot' in there?
-- and, of course, to add a hyphen to the sign as well?

Yeah, that's one of the drawbacks of putting a toilet in one's yard. Someone may actually use it.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I guess they really hate democracy.
More than me, it seems. I don't like people being able to vote on my stuff. But I honor that every citizen must have a vote in our system and believe one vote must count as one vote.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Only takes one idiot to turn a joke into a serious crime...

Sure, but clear parody is generally protected, else the comedy industry is in real trouble.
And...again...I'm much, much more concerned about some of the misinformation the President spreads on such matters.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
To call it a crime would mean that anyone
would miss the joke, & take it seriously.

Yes, agreed. It only becomes a crime if someone outs a real ballot in the toilet, if I've understood the laws correctly (which is 50/50, let's face it).

This display is free speech at its finest.
The homeowner was johnny on the spot.

To be clear, whatever the technicalities of this, I wouldn't be prosecuting the toilet owner if given the choice.