• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mexican senate set to vote on legalization of marijuana in two weeks

Should the US Federal government legalize marijuana?

• Yes

Votes: 18 94.7%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, but only for medical reasons, not for recreational use

• Undecided

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Other

• Total voters

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I have to disagree with you...

decriminalization
/ˌdēˌkrim(ə)nələˈzāSH(ə)n,ˌdēˌkrim(ə)nəˌlīˈzāSH(ə)n/
noun
  1. the action or process of ceasing to treat something as illegal or as a criminal offense.
    "voters approved decriminalization of the drug"
There is no reason to give "legal" status to something that should never have been made illegal to begin with.

On what do you base our assertion: Decriminalized is basically a civil offense--a step below misdemeanor--and is still illegal?
Again:
Decriminalization - Wikipedia
Decriminalization or decriminalisation is the lessening of criminal penalties in relation to certain acts, perhaps retroactively, though perhaps regulated permits or fines might still apply (for contrast, see: legalization).
Legalization - Wikipedia
Legalization is the process of removing a legal prohibition against something which is currently not legal.
The keywords being on "lessens" and one "removes."

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Tabacco, alcohol, fast food, caffeine, etc. all have adverse health effects as well, yet I strongly suspect your sentiments toward these are inconsistent and hypocritical. Don't be two-faced.
Two faced like advocating medical findings for one thing and dismissing medical findings for another?

Everyone is actually a hypocrite in their own way.

The legality and social attitudes toward cannabis and alcohol have been a blatant double standard. Puffing on a joint makes you no more a "druggie" than sipping on a glass of wine makes you a drunkard. It's all about responsibility and moderation.

At least I can't smell the crap through the walls. In Canada they are smoking inside sometimes or right by windows and it stinks, and I'm forced to smell it all. The obnoxious jackasses seem to not care at all about anyone else, and it often seemed like they would smoke every few minutes of every day!

Melodramatic hyperbole.
Well the kid was a big user, he didn't drink, his liver function was way out of wack, it was giving him tons of acne due to his body treating it like a toxin or something, which might be why it seemed almost addictive for him. This is one of a number of patients of my medical doctor mother in Hawaii, and numerous people (maybe they were getting some bad strain or something, another good reason why it should be legal and regulated possibly) were showing deteriorated liver function and issues while they were not drinking alcohol and were pretty young. I personally spoke with one girl who also started getting terrible acne and other medical issues after starting to take in the toxic stuff, but maybe you really love it and need it, I think its its junk like tobacco and alcohol and other trash people put in their bodies. I honestly think its much worse than cheese for example, though of course if you eat lots of cheese it can cause harm, but it seems that people can mess up their lungs and cause themselves other problems with a lot less marijuana than cheese.

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
Marijuana is being promoted for use just the same way cigarettes were being promoted decades ago, then somewhere down the line we will learn all the health problems associated with heavy marijuana use, and we will look back at today the same way we look back at the early efforts to promote tobacco.

Marijuana is being promoted for use just the same way cigarettes were being promoted decades ago, then somewhere down the line we will learn all the health problems associated with heavy marijuana use, and we will look back at today the same way we look back at the early efforts to promote tobacco.
I agree, I think history is repeating itself.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Two faced like advocating medical findings for one thing and dismissing medical findings for another?
Any particular example? Nobody is saying cannabis is 100% harmless. Cheeseburgers aren't good for your health, either. And a lot of medicines have negative side effects, such as liver damage.

Any particular example? Nobody is saying cannabis is 100% harmless. Cheeseburgers aren't good for your health, either. And a lot of medicines have negative side effects, such as liver damage.
true, and whats the point of living longer potentially anyway, this world seems to only be getting worse and crazier, so we might as well take drugs, eat cheeseburgers, and skip medicines.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Good. If they're that gross, don't get rid of them. American tobacco companies have long fought against those picture warnings because, well, people see that and it grosses them out and scares them and makes it harder to ignore those risks. And they know those warnings do that. So they fight against them (which, shouldn't that be a form of reckless homicide?)
Some of them are pretty graphic, ngl. I mean I get it but wow.
Although there is a pic of a dying man that’s considered something of a lucky symbol to get among smokers. Gary I think they colloquially call him. Something like that (lol maybe it’s Steve idk). So ehh, swings and roundabouts I guess

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Some of them are pretty graphic, ngl. I mean I get it but wow.
Although there is a pic of a dying man that’s considered something of a lucky symbol to get among smokers. Gary I think they colloquially call him. Something like that (lol maybe it’s Steve idk). So ehh, swings and roundabouts I guess
That's interesting. Very odd, but interesting.
(And I have seen some pictures. You can't even laugh at them to ease your discomfort like you can some STI pictures, lol)

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Maybe these things just need a danger rating and allow people to make their own decisions.

I think the real issue revolves around on how these substances impact those around the user.

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
That's interesting. Very odd, but interesting.
(And I have seen some pictures. You can't even laugh at them to ease your discomfort like you can some STI pictures, lol)
Indeed. I guess I kind of get it, in a dark humour kind of way.
The worst was the mouth and toe gangrene for me.
Had a regular lady who refused to take any packs with the premie baby in the incubator on them, because she had like 2 kids of her own.
Although my favourite “horror stories” regarding smokeshop was when I’d ID some kid and they’d come back with their parent/guardian. The kid would usually be very polite, but the adult would always yell at me when I refused to serve them, as it is literally against the law. We have a large sign that says the fine is like $18,500 (likely increased since then) which I would point to. The kids were always shocked but the parent would storm off in a huff or speak to the manager, only for the manager to back me up lmao!!
What used to mess me up when serving though was serving obviously pregnant people. As long as they were of age, I couldn’t refuse, nor make it obvious that I was judging them. Maybe some were just buying for their partner, but still. Yeesh!

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Indeed. I guess I kind of get it, in a dark humour kind of way.
The worst was the mouth and toe gangrene for me.
Had a regular lady who refused to take any packs on them with the premie baby in the incubator, because she had like 2 kids of her own.
Oh my god. Ive worked in a gas station, and its very easy for me to image myself in similar situation, thinking to myself "putting that back doesn't really change things," and then later laughing about it with my coworkers. Because, I mean, really, does it even make a difference because you cannot unsee that, lmao.
Although my favourite “horror stories” regarding smokeshop was when I’d ID some kid and they’d come back with their parent/guardian. The kid would usually be very polite, but the adult would always yell at me when I refused to serve them, as it is literally against the law. We have a large sign that says the fine is like $18,500 (likely increased since then) which I would point to. The kids were always shocked but the parent would storm off in a huff or speak to the manager, only for the manager to back me up lmao!!
This one clever lad, I asked him to see his ID, so he takes his wallet out, and flashes his ID for a second before closing his wallet and proclaiming "you saw it." Well, yes, actually I did see it I had to give him, but I need to see it in more of ann examineling way, is what I shot back.
Amd this one guy, I want to say Amish but I think he may have Conservative mennonite (I really dont remember but I am pretty sure he wasnt Amish), but he had no picture on his ID. Which is allowed in Indiana for religious reasons. But the law also states it must be a picture ID to sell cigarettes.
The shift manager wanted to debate the issue at hand, but the store manager and I agreed he's just not an undercover sting operant amd we've already wasted too much time on it because undercover sting operant won't get that complicated.
Amd I did love those complainers complaining because they got carded. Especially the few who threatened to tell my manager and going to call corporate and they're going to hear all about this!:rolleyes:
I can say, the one good thing about that job is it lets me appreciate the movie Clerks in ways I never would have been able to had myself not groaned out a "Im not even supposed to be here today."

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
Oh my god. Ive worked in a gas station, and its very easy for me to image myself in similar situation, thinking to myself "putting that back doesn't really change things," and then later laughing about it with my coworkers. Because, I mean, really, does it even make a difference because you cannot unsee that, lmao.

Honestly some of those pics makes me wish we had a reset button for our brains lol!!

This one clever lad, I asked him to see his ID, so he takes his wallet out, and flashes his ID for a second before closing his wallet and proclaiming "you saw it." Well, yes, actually I did see it I had to give him, but I need to see it in more of ann examineling way, is what I shot back.

Haha what a mad lad!
That happened to me once. But since we
have to enter in the DOB in the system for it to work, I told the customer I had to verify it properly. He was upset lol
Amd this one guy, I want to say Amish but I think he may have Conservative mennonite (I really dont remember but I am pretty sure he wasnt Amish), but he had no picture on his ID. Which is allowed in Indiana for religious reasons. But the law also states it must be a picture ID to sell cigarettes.
The shift manager wanted to debate the issue at hand, but the store manager and I agreed he's just not an undercover sting operant amd we've already wasted too much time on it because undercover sting operant won't get that complicated.

You guys have photo less IDs?
We have to verify photo ID for booze, tobacco and even R rated media.
Although my coworker once got caught on an undercover sting. The guy kept ranting at her until she just buckled. But since she was only a kid they didn’t pursue it further. We all had to redo our tobacco training as a result though, so she wasn’t popular for a while lmao!

Amd I did love those complainers complaining because they got carded. Especially the few who threatened to tell my manager and going to call corporate and they're going to hear all about this!:rolleyes:
I can say, the one good thing about that job is it lets me appreciate the movie Clerks in ways I never would have been able to had myself not groaned out a "Im not even supposed to be here today."
Omg they’re the best, amirite?
I used to get, “umm are you actually old enough to purchase tobacco?” When I would card people. I used to snark back, I’m only selling them, not buying them so it doesn’t matter. (Obviously more politely than that, but still.)

ecco

Veteran Member
I think its total trash to feel that one needs some external chemical reaction to feel good or benefit themselves, I've always thought drugs are pretty disturbing, even alcohol and anything which people use to become intoxicated or less inhibited.
You are entitled to your opinion. If it is legalized/decriminalized, you certainly don't have to partake.

However, many people feel differently. These people should have the right to indulge. Restrictions against marijuana, and before that, alcohol, have no justification.

ecco

Veteran Member
Can you give us an example of a marijuana company promoting marijuana the same way that cigarettes were being promoted a decade ago?

ecco

Veteran Member
I agree, I think history is repeating itself.
Indeed.

First, there was the debacle of acquiescing to the concepts and ideals of do-gooders to make alcohol illegal. Once illegal, it became the source of a massive criminal enterprise. Finally, as rational minds regained control, it was legalized again.

Then we acquiesced to the concepts and ideals of do-gooders and made marijuana, mushrooms, and LSD illegal and put it into the same category as opium and heroin. This resulted in a massive criminal enterprise. Now, finally, rational minds are poised to get some things right again.

ecco

Veteran Member
Maybe these things just need a danger rating and allow people to make their own decisions.

The only people who need "a danger rating" are people who relish ignorance. If by now, people need a picture on a pack of cigarettes to know that smoking cigarettes is bad for their health, that's on them. I have no sympathy for ignorant people.

MNoBody

The only people who need "a danger rating" are people who relish ignorance. If by now, people need a picture on a pack of cigarettes to know that smoking cigarettes is bad for their health, that's on them. I have no sympathy for ignorant people.
the fact about the imagery on tobacco, is it is blatant sorcery..... the more ironic given that the ones in charge of purity laws, allow adulterated products, to be sold...thou shall not adulterate.... yet it is the basic model of the "illness" industry posing as a "wellness" in society..... the whole things stinks of necromantic sorcery......and people are placated and comfortably numb, the walking dumb.... a daily horror show.