• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mexican senate set to vote on legalization of marijuana in two weeks

Should the US Federal government legalize marijuana?

• Yes

Votes: 18 94.7%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, but only for medical reasons, not for recreational use

• Undecided

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Other

• Total voters

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Look at Colorado. Jamaica for that matter.

Colorado had made billions from revenue, not counting what's also generated by the increase in tourism.
Aside from alieviating tax payers, the funds go toward education, literacy programs, health care, drug abuse prevention programs, judicial affairs, transportation, and agriculture, to name a few.
It's also far less problematic than alcohol.

I thought you hated the nanny state and were pro freedom and pro capitalism? What happened?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
and second hand smoke is just as dangerous as cigarettes and twice as obnoxious.
A joint won't have the legion of chemical addictive that are added to tobacco cigarettes. That doesn't make smoking weed safe, but it does change the entire picture when there is more the issue of combusted stuff inhaled rather than combusted stuff inhaled plus a dozen or so carcinogens.
As for obnoxious, it's a subjective statement. I don't mind weed smoke, but I find tobacco smoke to be the most repulsive and repugnant smell ever

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Half credit. However it is still destructive to lungs and second hand smoke is just as dangerous as cigarettes and twice as obnoxious.

American Lung Association Link....

Marijuana and Lung Health
That doesn't say much definitively. What I've read is that it does increase the risk of things like bronchitis, but that is mostly to do with smoking bongs (because you get a much bigger hit and inhale it deeper than you do with a joint or bowl) and the risk lessens or goes away when you stop. There's still nothing tying weed to cancer, as far I know.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I don't mind weed smoke, but I find tobacco smoke to be the most repulsive and repugnant smell ever
It makes me sick, honestly. I smoked daily for a decade and now I can't even stomach smoking tobacco anymore. I used to smoke American Spirit blacks and Djarum Black cigarillos, which are both very strong and harsh. But I'll get nausea from it now. I can handle dip, though, oddly.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
It makes me sick, honestly. I smoked daily for a decade and now I can't even stomach smoking tobacco anymore. I used to smoke American Spirit blacks and Djarum Black cigarillos, which are both very strong and harsh. But I'll get nausea from it now. I can handle dip, though, oddly.
I've long wondered if it's something physiological or psychological that has former smokers being more repulsed by tobacco smoke after they quit than before we started smoking. Or do we just have bad memories? And we do tend to widely and often describe our former smoking with words such as "embarrassing" and "shameful," so are we just priming ourselves to find the smell worse?
But, regardless, to me weed smoke is ok and I find the smell doesn't linger as long. Tobacco smoke is just horrible.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I've long wondered if it's something physiological or psychological that has former smokers being more repulsed by tobacco smoke after they quit than before we started smoking. Or do we just have bad memories? And we do tend to widely and often describe our former smoking with words such as "embarrassing" and "shameful," so are we just priming ourselves to find the smell worse?
But, regardless, to me weed smoke is ok and I find the smell doesn't linger as long. Tobacco smoke is just horrible.
I'm not sure, but it definitely is a physical response with me. It's like my body resets to being like a non-smoker and the smoke makes me feel like puking.

ecco

Veteran Member
No, decriminalize means its still illegal. Jay walking is decriminalized. Not wearing a seat belt is decriminalized. Decriminalized is basically a civil offense--a step below misdemeanor--and is still illegal. You wont go to jail, you very likely won't get arrested, but you will still get a citation.
I have to disagree with you...

decriminalization
/ˌdēˌkrim(ə)nələˈzāSH(ə)n,ˌdēˌkrim(ə)nəˌlīˈzāSH(ə)n/
noun
  1. the action or process of ceasing to treat something as illegal or as a criminal offense.
    "voters approved decriminalization of the drug"
There is no reason to give "legal" status to something that should never have been made illegal to begin with.

On what do you base our assertion: Decriminalized is basically a civil offense--a step below misdemeanor--and is still illegal?

ecco

Veteran Member
Did they get their facts from this...
GettyImages-82656717-e1547835955476.jpg

Re-criminalizing cannabis is worse than 1930s 'reefer madness'
The propaganda film captured the essence of the anti-marijuana campaign started by Harry Anslinger, a government employee eager to make a name for himself after Prohibition ended. Ansligner’s campaign demonized marijuana as a dangerous drug, playing on the racist attitudes of white Americans in the early 20th century and stoking fears of marijuana as an “assassin of youth.”

Re-criminalizing marijuana is a decision that makes little sense unless we consider the motives. History can shed some light here.

Media mogul William Randolph Hearst supported the criminalization of marijuana, in part because Hearst’s paper-producing companies were being replaced by hemp. Likewise, DuPont’s investment in nylon was threatened by hemp products.

Anslinger’s tactics included racist accusations linking marijuana to Mexican immigrants. His campaign included stories of urban black men who enticed young white women to become sex-crazed and instantly addicted to marijuana.

Anslinger’s campaign succeeded beyond his aims. His fearmongering was based more on fiction than on facts, but it made him head of the Bureau of Narcotics for 30 years. The social construction of cannabis as one of the most dangerous drugs was completed in 1970, when marijuana was classified as a Schedule I drug under the Controlled Substances Act, meaning it had high potential for abuse and no acceptable medical use.

Almost 50 years later, the classification remains and Anslinger’s views endure among many policymakers and Americans.
Did you know about Hearst's motives and his role in the process of making marijuana illegal?

Do you know about the study commissioned by and subsequently buried by, Nixon?

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Did they get their facts from this...
GettyImages-82656717-e1547835955476.jpg

Re-criminalizing cannabis is worse than 1930s 'reefer madness'
The propaganda film captured the essence of the anti-marijuana campaign started by Harry Anslinger, a government employee eager to make a name for himself after Prohibition ended. Ansligner’s campaign demonized marijuana as a dangerous drug, playing on the racist attitudes of white Americans in the early 20th century and stoking fears of marijuana as an “assassin of youth.”

Re-criminalizing marijuana is a decision that makes little sense unless we consider the motives. History can shed some light here.

Media mogul William Randolph Hearst supported the criminalization of marijuana, in part because Hearst’s paper-producing companies were being replaced by hemp. Likewise, DuPont’s investment in nylon was threatened by hemp products.

Anslinger’s tactics included racist accusations linking marijuana to Mexican immigrants. His campaign included stories of urban black men who enticed young white women to become sex-crazed and instantly addicted to marijuana.

Anslinger’s campaign succeeded beyond his aims. His fearmongering was based more on fiction than on facts, but it made him head of the Bureau of Narcotics for 30 years. The social construction of cannabis as one of the most dangerous drugs was completed in 1970, when marijuana was classified as a Schedule I drug under the Controlled Substances Act, meaning it had high potential for abuse and no acceptable medical use.

Almost 50 years later, the classification remains and Anslinger’s views endure among many policymakers and Americans.
Did you know about Hearst's motives and his role in the process of making marijuana illegal?

Do you know about the study commissioned by and subsequently buried by, Nixon?
Lmao! Even my high school health teachers laughed at reefer madness. It’s a bonafide classic

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
As for obnoxious, it's a subjective statement. I don't mind weed smoke, but I find tobacco smoke to be the most repulsive and repugnant smell ever
Is it bad that I’m somewhat addicted to second hand smoke? I’m a non smoker, but you know, working in certain jobs, everyone around me smoked. I kind of get a little giddy around them.
On an unrelated note my all time favourite thing to do when I worked on a smokes counter (I was like 18/19) was to ID people buying. Since I look much younger than I am, it would incense people haha. Though interestingly I encountered many people who made me exchange their packet due to not being able to stomach certain warning labels.
(Australiastan has all those gross cancer/gangrene/tar lung ect pictures.)

it is a running disaster......but hey things may become ...tolerable.....despite the "legalization" faction, and I live in canukistan and may be smoking right now even, or maybe not, it wouldn't matter [legal consequence] as compared to say just a few years ago, only someone wishing an intervention would discuss it openly.......

The druggie people in Canada are super irritating seeming so far. I have not had any good experiences with them or witnessing them, they've been a horrible nuisance in Vancouver and all across Canada in my experience so far, and act like totally self-absorbed people with no respect for anything, puffing stinking smoke everywhere, disregarding apartment rules, acting like fools at all hours of the day and night. I think America should go full blown druggy like Canada so that Canada can feel better about itself again: "Well at least we aren't THAT insane".

Half credit. However it is still destructive to lungs and second hand smoke is just as dangerous as cigarettes and twice as obnoxious.

American Lung Association Link....

Marijuana and Lung Health

It seems to also damage or deteriorate the functioning of the liver in some people, in others it seems to trigger permanent schizotypal or schizophrenia waking up inside of them.

I think its total trash to feel that one needs some external chemical reaction to feel good or benefit themselves, I've always thought drugs are pretty disturbing, even alcohol and anything which people use to become intoxicated or less inhibited. They should try dealing with their psychological issues through their own thinking processes and understandings and behavioral control rather than medicines, drugs, pills, enhancements, whatever, if they can manage. People just shove stuff into their bodies and destroy their cells and treat themselves and their one place to be like its endlessly flexible and able to tolerate anything, and I think anyone who treats someone else like their body doesn't matter and there are no risks or damages or dependencies doesn't even really care about the person! I've seen tons of people try to use various drugs to try to manipulate or take advantage of those they try to use them on, and its totally wrong.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
It seems to also damage or deteriorate the functioning of the liver in some people, in others it seems to trigger permanent schizotypal or schizophrenia waking up inside of them.

I think its total trash to feel that one needs some external chemical reaction to feel good or benefit themselves, I've always thought drugs are pretty disturbing, even alcohol and anything which people use to become intoxicated or less inhibited. They should try dealing with their psychological issues through their own thinking processes and understandings and behavioral control rather than medicines, drugs, pills, enhancements, whatever, if they can manage. People just shove stuff into their bodies and destroy their cells and treat themselves and their one place to be like its endlessly flexible and able to tolerate anything, and I think anyone who treats someone else like their body doesn't matter and there are no risks or damages or dependencies doesn't even really care about the person! I've seen tons of people try to use various drugs to try to manipulate or take advantage of those they try to use them on, and its totally wrong.
Melodramatic hyperbole.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
The legality and social attitudes toward cannabis and alcohol have been a blatant double standard. Puffing on a joint makes you no more a "druggie" than sipping on a glass of wine makes you a drunkard. It's all about responsibility and moderation.

MNoBody

The druggie people in Canada are super irritating seeming so far. I have not had any good experiences with them or witnessing them, they've been a horrible nuisance in Vancouver and all across Canada in my experience so far, and act like totally self-absorbed people with no respect for anything, puffing stinking smoke everywhere, disregarding apartment rules, acting like fools at all hours of the day and night. I think America should go full blown druggy like Canada so that Canada can feel better about itself again: "Well at least we aren't THAT insane".
I refuse to identify as a 'canadian'......just live here...really there is no other place that is any better.....same basic problems, just fried in different sauce, with some features that may be somewhat better.......
what they have done since the push to change the legal status of cannabis back 30 yrs ago..... since then it has been in free fall with all the cannabis corps in general being owned by either retired government officials or police officials....nicely positioned and all that, fast track to get permits and head of the line policy, etc.......
I was involved in the day, working with them, took lots of risks and personal sacrifice.....now it is just a disgrace how things are going down, in my mind in any case.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Though interestingly I encountered many people who made me exchange their packet due to not being able to stomach certain warning labels.
Good. If they're that gross, don't get rid of them. American tobacco companies have long fought against those picture warnings because, well, people see that and it grosses them out and scares them and makes it harder to ignore those risks. And they know those warnings do that. So they fight against them (which, shouldn't that be a form of reckless homicide?)