• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Methodist and Alcohol and Gambling

I went to a Methodist church today for the first time. Are Methodist against drinking alcohol and gambling? I did not about this today. Thanks

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
I've attended Methodist churches for many years. The Methodist church was very active in the temperance movement in the early part of the 20th century. However, most modern day Methodists that I know are tolerant, and I have yet to meet one who was opposed to drinking.

As for gambling - I have no idea - never heard it even brought up in any Methodist church I've been a part of.

I visited a Methodist church on Sunday. The people were very nice. I have been visiting the Catholic church and love the Mass. The Methodist church did things they do in the Catholic church. I do drink from time to time, not much, maybe once every two months, and not much at that. Plus I may visit a horse track once a year just for fun. All this is OK in the Catholic church. Not sure about the Methodist church though.

Skwim

Veteran Member
As unusual as it may be, I have quite a few friends who are devote drinking and gambling Methodists, so I doubt that either is forbidden by the religion, although they may be frowned on.

Philda Tressie

God Supremist
Excessive use of alcohol is forbidden. Gambling is forbidden as it can create expectations contrary to Christian belief which is complete trust in God.