• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Meteorite chunk found in Canadian woman's bed

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
I used to be a rock collector, I had a jet black pot marked and very heavy meteorite about the size of a golf ball I found as a kid with white milky pieces on the surface, but alas I lost it when we moved from Cleveland to California as a kid, later an expert told me those white milky pieces had to be diamonds as anything else clear white would have melted off in re=entry, he said it would have been worth about $3000, this was back in 1980 abouts

Dan From Smithville

What we've got here is failure to communicate.
Staff member
Premium Member
more than the value of the meteorite probably
Hard to say. Don't know much about the value of meteorites or the extent of the damage done to the house.

But I am thinking that I could make a killing selling meteorite defense systems to paranoid home owners. I already have a slogan and a company name.

The Rite Protection for the Rite Problem. Meteorite Solutions.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I used to be a rock collector, I had a jet black pot marked and very heavy meteorite about the size of a golf ball I found as a kid with white milky pieces on the surface, but alas I lost it when we moved from Cleveland to California as a kid, later an expert told me those white milky pieces had to be diamonds as anything else clear white would have melted off in re=entry, he said it would have been worth about $3000, this was back in 1980 abouts
Your "expert" was probably wrong. The only diamonds that I can find found in meteorites are exceptionally small ones. They are at the most measured in mircometers and at times measured in nanometers. Learning from my past error I did look for multipole sources on this and that seems to be the consensus. The reason why your post immediately raised my eyebrows is that diamonds in the Earth are formed in conditions not seen by meteorites. They are formed deep in the Earth's crust for a prolonged period of time under high pressure. Meteors never became part of a planet. At any rate here is a fairly recent article on diamonds in meteorites:

https://phys.org/news/2020-09-insights-diamonds-meteorites.htm

Lyndon

Premium Member
Your "expert" was probably wrong. The only diamonds that I can find found in meteorites are exceptionally small ones. They are at the most measured in mircometers and at times measured in nanometers. Learning from my past error I did look for multipole sources on this and that seems to be the consensus. The reason why your post immediately raised my eyebrows is that diamonds in the Earth are formed in conditions not seen by meteorites. They are formed deep in the Earth's crust for a prolonged period of time under high pressure. Meteors never became part of a planet. At any rate here is a fairly recent article on diamonds in meteorites:

https://phys.org/news/2020-09-insights-diamonds-meteorites.htm

Well according to the test I did on the rock, it was either a meteorite or uranium, maybe its just as well I lost it because I used to carry it around in my pocket.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Well according to the test I did on the rock, it was either a meteorite or uranium, maybe its just as well I lost it because I used to carry it around in my pocket.
You misunderstood. It could have been a meteorite. But the claim of diamonds on it was probably incorrect.

And why either a meteorite or uranium? That seems to be an odd pairing.

Lyndon

Premium Member
You misunderstood. It could have been a meteorite. But the claim of diamonds on it was probably incorrect.

And why either a meteorite or uranium? That seems to be an odd pairing.

the hardness test, evidently it couldn't have been a meteorite with clear white deposits, theres no quartz or calcite on meteorites

We Never Know

No Slack

About 12 years ago I went to my barn in the morning and while inside I noticed a hole in the roof. The metal was bent down inward as if something fell through it. In the stall under the hole I could see the sawdust/dirt mix had a pit/mound in it. I raked this out if it.
It looks like a geode but evidently it came in through the roof of my barn somehow.
I never did find any other piece of it. This piece is around the size of my fist

IMG_20211017_004600.jpg

IMG_20211017_004413.jpg

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
the hardness test, evidently it couldn't have been a meteorite with clear white deposits, theres no quartz or calcite on meteorites
Who did the hardness tests? Without a smooth surface it is hard to test the hardness of minerals. Either the testing surface needs to be smooth and one must be very sure of which mineral is scratching it or the surface of the mineral needs to be flat. There are other white minerals besides calcite and quartz.

For uranium I would think that a test of its radioactivity would be key. By the way one does not find pure uranium anywhere. One can find uranium ore. Ooh, quite side note. Uranium ore , if it is concentrated enough, is more radioactive than pure uranium. Do you know why?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Here is a cut and polished surface of a meteorite. The white areas are probably some sort of feldspar. They are not identified:

dag844-howardite.jpg

Here is another meteorite. The white areas are plagioclase (that is a feldspar too, those minerals tend to end with the suffix "clase"):

millbillillie.jpg

Lyndon

Premium Member
these looked like quartz, milky opaque white, the rock itself was some kind of metal, very heavy, jet black with lots of very small pot marks like miniature craters, seemed a good bit heavier than iron

Last edited:

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
In the US it would be hers, since it is her property. I don't know what the law is for Canada. That meteorite could be easily be worth a million dollars:

https://www.freep.com/story/news/lo...michigan-meteor-meteoroid-detroit/1039523001/

Real money, not that funny colored stuff from up north.:D

I'm not sure if it would be counted as "treasurer trove", if it is she will get just a few percent of the value.

In the UK treasurer trove payment is 10% if the value (i think) not much but its made the odd farmer and metal detectorist quite rich when they've found burried roman or saxon hoards.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
I probably have one in my attic. Some time back a hole appeared in the tiled roof, and which could have come from such an object. I had it repaired within a day or so but haven't checked the attic for what caused this. I'll let you all know one day when I can be bothered to have a look. :oops:

Lyndon

Premium Member
The article I read said she was going to get it back after the experts at the University had examined it, it might have a collectors value more than its meteorite value because of the story, a museum might want it.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
A meteorite is anything that falls to Earth from space. It could be rock, metal, or both.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
I wonder what the going rate for repairing meteorite damage is?
Its steep. You have to first of all pay for emergency roofing -- or do that part yourself on a roof which is probably an angled roof. Then you pay a carpenter to fix most everything else. Then you pay the roofer again. Then you pay someone to clean up any water damage. If you are very unlucky there could be plumbing or electrical problems.

Dan From Smithville

What we've got here is failure to communicate.
Staff member
Premium Member
Its steep. You have to first of all pay for emergency roofing -- or do that part yourself on a roof which is probably an angled roof. Then you pay a carpenter to fix most everything else. Then you pay the roofer again. Then you pay someone to clean up any water damage. If you are very unlucky there could be plumbing or electrical problems.
I wonder if you can bill NASA or some other, foreign space agency?