• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Metal food cans

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
My town has discontinued the recycling of cans. I thought that my town might start up again so I save them. When that hasn't happened, I looked online for another place to bring them but there isn't another place.

Now, I wonder if they are really useful for something or if they were being recycled just to be eliminated from the landfills.

Are food cans good for anything or should I put them with the rest of my garbage?

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
My town has discontinued the recycling of cans. I thought that my town might start up again so I save them. When that hasn't happened, I looked online for another place to bring them but there isn't another place.

Now, I wonder if they are really useful for something or if they were being recycled just to be eliminated from the landfills.

Are food cans good for anything or should I put them with the rest of my garbage?
They're metal with a thin plastic coating inside. I've tried to think of a use for them, too. What would be nice: a machine to flatten them and seem them together into sheets. It would make raggedy sheets made of pressed cans. It could be done by a team of college engineering students.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
They're metal with a thin plastic coating inside. I've tried to think of a use for them, too. What would be nice: a machine to flatten them and seem them together into sheets. It would make raggedy sheets made of pressed cans. It could be done by a team of college engineering students.
I love you!

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
If you crunch them, they might take them. Aluminum in itself must have a price.
Thank you. I finally did a Google search for VEGETABLE CANS and it says, "Steel", and I am, steel! wow. I don't believe it.

I read a story about a World War where people collected the metal from a gum wrapper to donate to the war effort. Things had sure changed since then...

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Thank you. I finally did a Google search for VEGETABLE CANS and it says, "Steel", and I am, steel! wow. I don't believe it.

I read a story about a World War where people collected the metal from a gum wrapper to donate to the war effort. Things had sure changed since then...

Myself and a friend hauled a bunch of junk metal to a salvage place here. They sorted it, and half a van got about $20 Canadian.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I wonder why towns that will take vegetable cans to recycle will not take other people's cans to recycle. Are they so worthless? Or, they don't have enough room?

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Myself and a friend hauled a bunch of junk metal to a salvage place here. They sorted it, and half a van got about $20 Canadian.
I wonder if there is a big difference between the metal that has some weight and the light-weight metal cans?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I wonder if there is a big difference between the metal that has some weight and the light-weight metal cans?
It could be the liner that is causing trouble. Pure metal is relatively easy to recycle. Adding plastic into the mix might make it unrecylcable in the U.S..

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
It could be the liner that is causing trouble. Pure metal is relatively easy to recycle. Adding plastic into the mix might make it unrecylcable in the U.S..
That I knew about some town's recycling policy. They request a separation of things, but they end up in the same place anyway.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
That I knew about some town's recycling policy. They request a separation of things, but they end up in the same place anyway.
It may seem crazy but I they may be thinking about the future. They have to get people to recycle correctly before they can have an organized recycling program. Sadly it sounds as if they may have given up in your town.

For example here we have to make sure that cans are clean of all food before recycling.

Empty, Clean and Dry: No Food or Liquids
We used to say that if there was a little bit of food left in a container, it was good enough to recycle. Now containers need to have no food or liquids in them. Give containers a good rinse and let them dry. Or if you can't get them clean, put them in the garbage.

Leftover food can create mold that can spread to other recyclables ruining them. Liquids can ruin the fiber in paper making it harder or unable to be recycled.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
They paid is by weight. That's why you should crush it as much as you can. We had some pipe, and other heavy stuff.

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
By the time you've thoroughly washed the can, you've wasted more water than you'll save in metal by recycling.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
By the time you've thoroughly washed the can, you've wasted more water than you'll save in metal by recycling.
An anti-recylcer, eh.
It takes very little water to clean a can.
But you should see what recycling looks like at
a scrap yard....mud & dirt all over...rusty metal.
It needn't be all that clean.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
I love you!
Thanks! This internet thing though is a wall, and that's how it is. From the beginning my deal with the site is they don't know me, and my friends and family do not know I'm here. This is all....anonymous, so I can work through things without having anyone breathing down my neck about my thoughts.