• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Messianic Jews and Quakers

Zardoz

Wonderful Wizard
Premium Member
I don't know enough about Quakers to make a meaningful response. I'm one of the 2 MJ on the forum. Not many of us here.

I do respect Quakers for what little I do know about them, especially their work in the underground railroad in the civil war. I can see where there'd be some overlap in issues of social justice.

If I had to make a decision... I'd say that if one was both a typical MJ that I know and Quaker, they'd not be mutually exclusive.

Ebionite like me and Quaker... don't know, probably not, depends if Quakers are trinitarian or in any other way incarnationist.

Last edited:

Shermana

Heretic
I went to look up Quaker beliefs, and it seems hard to get a precise stance on what their Theological positions are. Like Zardoz, I don't believe in the Trinity (though many who claim to be Messianic Jewish do), but the main issue is whether you accept obedience to the Law, and this may be an issue that Zardoz and I disagree on.

dyanaprajna2011

Dharmapala
Quakerism is a mystical religion. They believe that the main source of inspiration and how to live comes from the "light of Christ within." They believe all people have this light, and manifest it to various degrees. They reject the Bible as the sole authoritative word of God, and believe that it is only a guide. They reject the sacraments, and other traditional Protestant concepts such as salvation by faith alone, and the Trinity. Their worship consists primarily of "waiting on the Lord", where they sit in silence until one feels compelled by God to speak. This is the traditional Quaker view, although today there are different sects within Quakerism, some of whom are basically evangelical in their beliefs and practices.

Shermana

Heretic
Thank you, looks like I have much agreement with them, I should look into this sitting still until I feel compelled to talk thing. Or post.

SageTree

Spiritual Friend
Premium Member
If I might chime in a little on the Friends tradition,

In my experience in a with Friends, Liberal Friends/Unprogrammed Friends, any way that one can touch and know their inner Light is acceptable.

They aren't staunch or dogmatic, and the Trinity isn't something that HAS to be accepted.

So from what little I know about the MJs, I'd take a guess that you could attend Quaker worship and hold MJ beliefs. As long as you have your eye on that Inner Light, Brother.

I know Buddhist-Quakers etc etc... so why not MJ as well?

But I can't speak for attending MJ worship and holding Quaker beliefs... but that might be hard considering the width and berth of Quaker beliefs, ya know what I mean?

Realize this is DIR, and am NOT trying to speak for MJs, but wanted to add what I know and experience w/ the Friends traditions.

I myself an not a Trinitarian Christian, which is one reason the Friends appeal to me and why I'd like to know more about MJ.

So pardon my intrusion, I do hope my chiming in was ok with you all.

If not PM me and I'll gladly respect your wishes for your space,

But be aware, I Am highly interested in knowing more about the MJs, and would like to drop in on conversations more often if that is permissible with you both. ;)

:namaste
SageTree

Zardoz

Wonderful Wizard
Premium Member
Personally I'm fine with your input, friend, as you seek to clarify Quaker faith of which we know so little.

As to your desire to understand MJ, again you're welcome to ask any questions. Simply keep in mind there's more than one form, even here on RF. The old saying, 'ask two Jews, get three opinions'. ;)

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Quakerisim is more than a religious idea it is a whole life concept.

Quakers are the "ultimate pacifists."
How does the chime with Messianic Judaism?

Their honesty and work ethic, led them to be universally trusted and become leading Bankers and Factory owners and retailers, with a very strict but social ethic.

The Shaker branch died out because of their policy of sexual abstinence, but it was famous of its mechanical inventiveness and minimalist design principals.

Last edited: