• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Messiah

InvestigateTruth

Hello,

I have two questions. I appreciate your answer:

1. Do all Jews agree that, the Jewish Holy Books teach about coming of a Messiah? (I guess I am not saying if all Jews believe in a Messiah), but at least in the Scriptures, from the Prophets a Messiah is promised or not?

2. Typically how Jews traditionally understand the meaning of the word Messiah? Is this term applicable to kings and leaders only in the Scriptures or other old historical books? Do all Jews agree that the Messiah will be a king?

rosends

It is hard to find anything that all Jews agree on. I would suggest that an overwhelming percentage of Orthodox Jews see the texts of the written and oral law as discussing a future leader, at least sometimes.

A messiah is a leader (king or high priest) who is anointed with particular oil

Judaism 101: Mashiach: The Messiah

Tumah

Veteran Member
Just adding to what @rosends said, because leaders are raised to their position through the anointing, the term can also be used as a metaphor for someone raised to an important position or task, such as Cyrus.

Jake1001

Computer Simulator
Hello,

I have two questions. I appreciate your answer:

1. Do all Jews agree that, the Jewish Holy Books teach about coming of a Messiah? (I guess I am not saying if all Jews believe in a Messiah), but at least in the Scriptures, from the Prophets a Messiah is promised or not?

2. Typically how Jews traditionally understand the meaning of the word Messiah? Is this term applicable to kings and leaders only in the Scriptures or other old historical books? Do all Jews agree that the Messiah will be a king?
This is a sensitive issue. Anyone want to go there?