• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Messiah will suffer and rise from the dead

roger1440

I do stuff
"He told them, "This is what is written: The Messiah will suffer and rise from the dead on the third day," (Luke 24:46)

Where is this written?

Laika

Premium Member
I think the bible refers occassionally to the "book of life"? it does in Revelations as it is from here that all peoples actions are recorded and judged if I remember correctly.

"He told them, "This is what is written: The Messiah will suffer and rise from the dead on the third day," (Luke 24:46)

Where is this written?

Screen Shot 2015-06-22 at 9.51.51 AM.png

There are many passages that point to Jesus being the Messiah.One of my favorites is where Jesus is described as not having his bones broken during his death.

John 19:33 But when they came to Jesus and found that he was already dead, they did not break his legs.

John 19:36 These things happened so that the scripture would be fulfilled: "Not one of his bones will be broken,"

Here is the passage from the OT.

Psalm 34:20 he protects all his bones, not one of them will be broken.

If we go back to the book of Exodus in the OT we can see a passage that describes a foreshadowing of the coming Jesus Christ.

Exodus 12:46 "It must be eaten inside the house; take none of the meat outside the house. Do not break any of the bones.

God's people were in Egypt as slaves and God delivered them with Moses.They were told to slaughter and eat a 1 year old male sheep or goat.It was to have all it;s blood spilled out and not to have it's bones broken.This foreshadowed Jesus.

Also the piercing with a spear in Jesus side was also spoken of in the OT.

John 19:36,37. …36For these things came to pass to fulfill the Scripture, "NOT A BONE OF HIM SHALL BE BROKEN." 37And again another Scripture says, "THEY SHALL LOOK ON HIM WHOM THEY PIERCED."

Zechariah 12:10
"And I will pour out on the house of David and the inhabitants of Jerusalem a spirit of grace and supplication. They will look on me, the one they have pierced, and they will mourn for him as one mourns for an only child, and grieve bitterly for him as one grieves for a firstborn son.

The author of the gospel of Luke, is Luke.He is also the author of the book of Acts.

roger1440

I do stuff
View attachment 9928

There are many passages that point to Jesus being the Messiah.One of my favorites is where Jesus is described as not having his bones broken during his death.

John 19:33 But when they came to Jesus and found that he was already dead, they did not break his legs.

John 19:36 These things happened so that the scripture would be fulfilled: "Not one of his bones will be broken,"

Here is the passage from the OT.

Psalm 34:20 he protects all his bones, not one of them will be broken.

If we go back to the book of Exodus in the OT we can see a passage that describes a foreshadowing of the coming Jesus Christ.

Exodus 12:46 "It must be eaten inside the house; take none of the meat outside the house. Do not break any of the bones.

God's people were in Egypt as slaves and God delivered them with Moses.They were told to slaughter and eat a 1 year old male sheep or goat.It was to have all it;s blood spilled out and not to have it's bones broken.This foreshadowed Jesus.

Also the piercing with a spear in Jesus side was also spoken of in the OT.

John 19:36,37. …36For these things came to pass to fulfill the Scripture, "NOT A BONE OF HIM SHALL BE BROKEN." 37And again another Scripture says, "THEY SHALL LOOK ON HIM WHOM THEY PIERCED."

Zechariah 12:10
"And I will pour out on the house of David and the inhabitants of Jerusalem a spirit of grace and supplication. They will look on me, the one they have pierced, and they will mourn for him as one mourns for an only child, and grieve bitterly for him as one grieves for a firstborn son.

So, in order to understand Luke 24:46 the reader must read the Gospel of Mark. The reader must also read the Gospel of John also, a gospel that wasn’t even written yet. Thanks for clearing that up.

roger1440

I do stuff
The book of Luke was written c.56-58 C.E. in Caesarea.

The canonical gospels are a reaction to the destruction of the Temple that occurred in 70 AD. I’m not getting this from any scholar, commentary, study Bible, priest or rabbi. I arrived at this date for two reasons. One is the over use of criticizing the Pharisees and the other is the gospel writers focusing on the Temple.

In order for this new Jewish sect win legitimacy it had criticized its opponents. After the destruction of the Temple the only opponents to this Jewish sect were the Pharisees. The Sadducees did not pose a threat because they did exist after the Temple was gone. The Essenes are never mentioned in the gospels because they had turned their back on the Temple years earlier. Therefore they did not pose a threat either. After the smoke had cleared from the Temple the only surviving sect was the Pharisees. This sect was at odds with the Christians.