• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Merry Christmas!! Jesus=money for america

rocka21

Brother Rock
[SIZE=+0]Many have tried to take Christ out of christmas. Happy holidays, many time replaces merry christmas in department stores.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+0][/SIZE]
[SIZE=+0]i think it is very interesting that most of the nations retail economy makes there money around the birth of Jesus.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+0][/SIZE]
[SIZE=+0]so my point is, where would this nation be if people did not go out and give the money to retailers for the one day of the year? JESUS DAY![/SIZE]
[SIZE=+0][/SIZE]
[SIZE=+0]i think it would change the whole economic landscape of our nation.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+0][/SIZE]
[SIZE=+0]i think about 80 percent of profits are made at christmas time. ( not the food industry of course), but definitely retail.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+0][/SIZE]
[SIZE=+0]love to here thoughts on this.......:D [/SIZE]
</IMG>

Booko

Deviled Hen
rocka21 said:
[SIZE=-0]Many have tried to take Christ out of christmas. Happy holidays, many time replaces merry christmas in department stores.

[/SIZE]Uh...so?

We used "Happy Holidays" back in the 50s, for goodnesssake, when the only people who "mattered" were Christians, and it was questionable as to whether Catholics were actually Christian.

No one got their knickers in a twist over it then, and they shouldn't now.

Merry Christmas + Happy New Year = Happy Holidays.

Yup, that's two (count 'em -- 2!) holidays.

[SIZE=-0]i think it is very interesting that most of the nations retail economy makes there money around the birth of Jesus.[/SIZE]

Oh, you mean we celebrate our real national religion, which is materialism? :D

[SIZE=-0]
so my point is, where would this nation be if people did not go out and give the money to retailers for the one day of the year? JESUS DAY![/SIZE]

Some of us don't. The only reason I celebrate Christmas is because my mother is Christian, and it would be rude and dishonourable not to.

In years when we are not with her, we don't celebrate it. And I studiously avoid shopping any time between Thanksgiving and mid-January. It's too nuts.

[SIZE=-0]i think it would change the whole economic landscape of our nation.[/SIZE]

Yes, you're probably right about that. One has to ask, how much less stuff would we waste money on if we toned down celebrations a bit?

I have a neighbor who was not happy about the infusion of materialism into her family's holiday, and I thought she had a really neat way of handling it.

Since there were 3 Magi with a gift each, each person in the family got 3 gifts. They didn't get carried away with expensive stuff, and everyone is much happier.

If Christmas were my holiday, I'd be doing this myself. It keeps the focus on the "holy" part of the day.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
I have a hunch, if the nation didn't spend massive amounts of money during the holidays, money would spent in other arenas throughout the year.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
The lavish gift giving and wealth redistribution you see around Christmas is more or less typical of hierarchical societies where people have more wealth than they actually need. The consumerism of Christmas seems to be one way humans deal with surplus. Another groups of societies that did pretty much the same thing were the Northwest American coastal tribes.

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
Christmas also isn't the only holiday that is celebrated in December. Not everybody who shops for gifts celebrates Christmas. Many of the people shopping in the stores celebrate Hannukha, Yule, Kwanzaa, and some celebrate nothing at all. "Happy Holidays" also includes New Years. With a population so diverse, and so many different things going on this month, why is "Merry Christmas" the only acceptable greeting? Do you lack the ability to see past your own nose and realize that Christmas isn't the only important holiday?

Not to mention that a lot of people who celebrate Christmas don't celebrate it in a religious sense at all. They do it out of tradition or obligation. My family does. My family considers themselves to be Catholic, but it's been 5 years since any of us have set foot in a church. Just like how tons of people celebrate Halloween, but very few actually participate in it's religious observances. But, you rarely hear Pagans complaining about the commercial aspects of Halloween.

rocka21

Brother Rock
MaddLlama said:
Christmas also isn't the only holiday that is celebrated in December. Not everybody who shops for gifts celebrates Christmas. Many of the people shopping in the stores celebrate Hannukha, Yule, Kwanzaa, and some celebrate nothing at all. "Happy Holidays" also includes New Years. With a population so diverse, and so many different things going on this month, why is "Merry Christmas" the only acceptable greeting? Do you lack the ability to see past your own nose and realize that Christmas isn't the only important holiday?

Not to mention that a lot of people who celebrate Christmas don't celebrate it in a religious sense at all. They do it out of tradition or obligation. My family does. My family considers themselves to be Catholic, but it's been 5 years since any of us have set foot in a church. Just like how tons of people celebrate Halloween, but very few actually participate in it's religious observances. But, you rarely hear Pagans complaining about the commercial aspects of Halloween.

so you saying that christmas would be the same ( economically) if christians didn't shop and only hannaka, yule , and kwanzaa shopped? LOL

Yes but the tradition or obligation revolves around the birth of JESUS. ( accept for hannaka, yule, and kwanzza that is.) LOL

the birth of Jesus is a very important part of our economy, and i just wanted to point that out. Belive me , i am not complaining as some on this thead think, i love it! To deny or try to say we don't need it for the countries economy is just ( to me), laughable.

rocka21

Brother Rock
dawny0826 said:
I have a hunch, if the nation didn't spend massive amounts of money during the holidays, money would spent in other arenas throughout the year.

you assume.

i have to dissagree , i think we would be in trouble.

RevOxley_501

Hey genius...Christ never was in Christmas

proof?

look in my last journal entry, its in the link in my signature line---i dont have access to it now to paste it here

(click on Livejournal link)

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
rocka21 said:
so you saying that christmas would be the same ( economically) if christians didn't shop and only hannaka, yule , and kwanzaa shopped? LOL

Reading comprehension is apparently beyond you. That's not what I said. I was objecting to your anger at the use of "happy holidays". You think it's wrong because people should say "merry christmas", but you fail to understand that Christmas isn't the only holiday. Therefore, unless you know what religion a person is, "happy holidays" is more appropriate. Unless you would go up to a Rabbi on Hannukha and say "merry Christmas".

Yes but the tradition or obligation revolves around the birth of JESUS. ( accept for hannaka, yule, and kwanzza that is.) LOL

No, actually you're wrong. The gift giving on Christmas that we do today isn't based on the 3 wise men and thier gifts, it's based on an old Dutch folk tale based on St. Nicholas. They called him "Sinterklaas", and he gave gifts on the night before his feast day of December 6th. He became "Santa Clause" and associated with Christmas in America in the 19th century. The Dutch also weren't the only ones who had this type of figure in thier folklore, such as Britan, Italy and France. The commercialization of Christmas has to do with the assimilation of the Santa Caluse figure, and nothing to do with the birth of Jesus.

the birth of Jesus is a very important part of our economy, and i just wanted to point that out. Belive me , i am not complaining as some on this thead think, i love it! To deny or try to say we don't need it for the countries economy is just ( to me), laughable.

So, you think that the economy and Christmas itself would come to a screeching halt if Christmas wasn't the birth of Jesus? I highly doubt that. Don't forget, if you take the "Christ" out of Christmas you get "Santa Clause". And, he's far more popular around Christmas anyway.

jacquie4000

We have made Christmas into a season to spend money and give lots of gifts it really has nothing to do with Christmas. Most people the more they make the more they spend and Christmas is just another reason to do it. It is not the true meaning of the Holiday.

rocka21

Brother Rock
RevOxley_501 said:
Hey genius...Christ never was in Christmas

proof?

look in my last journal entry, its in the link in my signature line---i dont have access to it now to paste it here

(click on Livejournal link)

i love how you address me as HEY GENIUS.

calm down tough guy.)(

please don't turn this into a " christ was not born dec. 25th, its all a pagan holiday, no one said celebrate the birth", debate.

The FACT of the matter is MILLIONS of people in this country DO celebrate the birth of Jesus on dec. 25 and they DO SHOP.

i am not debating is it " right ' or not , that is another thread.

AGAIN, just pointing out how SOME ( not all) have this war on taking christ out of the store, but where would the stores or the nation be if we did not spend all this money during this time? JESUS DAY!:D
</IMG></IMG>

RevOxley_501

sorry, that was innapropriate

im just sick of Christmas---and sick of hearing this stuff over and over---

for the majority, it isnt about Jesus, it never was---thats my entire point

rocka21

Brother Rock
sorry guys, did not mean to stir everyone up.

anyway MERRY christmas. I love this season. I got to go.

last minuet shopping. LOL how ironic!
lights on the house, tree, presents , weather, christmas songs, just makes me feel good.

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
rocka21 said:
AGAIN, just pointing out how SOME ( not all) have this war on taking christ out of the store, but where would the stores or the nation be if we did not spend all this money during this time? JESUS DAY!:D
</IMG></IMG>

The point is that if it wern't for Sinterklaas, people would care as much about Christmas as they do about Hannukha (which is to say, not much at all). The birth of Jesus, then, has no effect on the "gift-giving" economy. It's santa that drives that consumerism. And, if we had no Christmas at all, we'd probably be celebrating the Feast of St. Nicholas on December 7th, and all of the "Christmas" shopping that fuels the holiday economy would just come earlier.
If the church decided to declare another day the birth of Christ, Christmas wouldn't disappear, it would simply then only be about Santa and gifts. And, we might rename it.

rocka21

Brother Rock
MaddLlama said:
Reading comprehension is apparently beyond you. That's not what I said. I was objecting to your anger at the use of "happy holidays". You think it's wrong because people should say "merry christmas", but you fail to understand that Christmas isn't the only holiday. Therefore, unless you know what religion a person is, "happy holidays" is more appropriate. Unless you would go up to a Rabbi on Hannukha and say "merry Christmas".

No, actually you're wrong. The gift giving on Christmas that we do today isn't based on the 3 wise men and thier gifts, it's based on an old Dutch folk tale based on St. Nicholas. They called him "Sinterklaas", and he gave gifts on the night before his feast day of December 6th. He became "Santa Clause" and associated with Christmas in America in the 19th century. The Dutch also weren't the only ones who had this type of figure in thier folklore, such as Britan, Italy and France. The commercialization of Christmas has to do with the assimilation of the Santa Caluse figure, and nothing to do with the birth of Jesus.

So, you think that the economy and Christmas itself would come to a screeching halt if Christmas wasn't the birth of Jesus? I highly doubt that. Don't forget, if you take the "Christ" out of Christmas you get "Santa Clause". And, he's far more popular around Christmas anyway.

very good points , thank you:)

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
rocka21 said:
sorry guys, did not mean to stir everyone up.

anyway MERRY christmas. I love this season. I got to go.

last minuet shopping. LOL how ironic!
lights on the house, tree, presents , weather, christmas songs, just makes me feel good.
Happy Hannukha!

gnomon

What nonsense.

Merry Christmas from an atheist wise enough to know better.

Some people just need to get over themselves.