• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mercy Killing (Not Euthanasia)

The Voice of Reason

Doctor of Thinkology
In John Steinbecks novel "Of Mice and Men", one brother kills the other in cold blood, when no death is imminent (he is not dying of some terrible disease). Is this killing justified?

Note - please either read the book or watch one of the two movies based on the book before you jump to conclusions about what this question is really asking.
TVOR

meogi

First, I don't belive they are brothers, been a long time since I read it, but I could swear they were just good friends.

Second, I'm not sure how 'moral' it was for George to kill Lennie... but I think it was justified. If only for the fact that Lennie was able to go peacefully and with the comfort of his one and only real friend, rather than from a mob of people thirsty for revenge (think of what would be going on in Lennie's mind... he'd be scared sh*tless).

That's just my take on it though, and I hope I'm remember the ending correctly.

The Voice of Reason

Doctor of Thinkology
Meogi -

Come to think of it, you may be right. I'm getting too old to remember, but I thought they were brothers. Heck, at least I got the name of the book right. :confused: At any rate, I didn't mean to steer this into the morality of the issue, but if this thread takes that direction, it's ok with me.
Thanks for the reply.

TVOR