• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mental Well-being

Best way to mental well-being

• Religious Faith

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Right Thinking

Votes: 7 33.3%
  • Either is equally effective

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Other means to mental well-being

Votes: 9 42.9%

• Total voters

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
feature-image-red.png

Which, in you opinion, is the better means to mental well-being,

Religious Faith or Right Thinking?
What is “Right Thinking?"

Is mental well-being possible without religious faith?
Do you see each as equivalent to the other?
Or do you know of a better method to mental well-being?

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I can't take the poll, because its too general. The best thing for my mental well being tends to be religious practice(which includes faith, but isn't limited to), but what's good for me isn't necessarily good for everybody. How should I know what's good for other people's mental well being? I'd have to be fairly close with them to even suggest anything.

The 'right thinking' seems like a positive step for most people, but I don't think its enough for everybody. (I don't think there's anything that's enough for everybody; we're a diverse species.)

Last edited:

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
My understanding is that these two are kind of the same thing.

If you are practicing the right religion for yourself - practicing that which connects you to deeper meaning and breathes contentment and joy into your life - you will be doing what is right thinking for yourself as well.

Eddi

Panentheist and Psychedelic Cat
Premium Member
As a schizophrenic my key to mental wellbeing is mostly medication

If I ever miss it bad things happen

Taking my meds allows me to have positive experiences using both religious faith and right thinking

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
I voted Right Thinking since it seems to encompass much of what I believe as to helping one through life, although the name hardly helps. :oops:

Too many religions seem to have hang-ups from the past, with such often interfering in the present, and is why I'm not so keen on them.

pearl

Nothing has brought to attention the critical state of mental health as the recent death of a mother and three children. Apparently suffering from post-partum depression, a beautiful young mother strangled her young children and jumped out the window to end her life. Her children are dead, she, however, survived and will now face three counts of murder.
This may have nothing to do with this, but decades ago a new mother did not go home 1or 2 days after giving birth, she remained in the hospital usually 5 days.

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
for me medication and sobriety and self employment are the biggest factors contributing to my mental health

Exaltist Ethan

Bridging the Gap Between Believers and Skeptics
Faith helps me observe and understand the outside world. And be in awe of it. Thinking logically helps me understand myself internally. And avoids internal pitfalls. Both are equally needed to develop a mentally aware and sound mind.

... and this is coming from someone who has a mental illness. It's similar to medication and therapy. Medication works from the inside coming out, therapy works from the outside coming in. Both are essentially needed by the severely mentally ill, including myself. If I don't take my medication I become irritable, anxious, agitated, and if I don't have therapy I can get in a really bad mood, for several days. They both work in tandem together, like living a spiritual life and having stable thinking.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Faith helps me observe and understand the outside world. And be in awe of it. Thinking logically helps me understand myself internally. And avoids internal pitfalls. Both are equally needed to develop a mentally aware and sound mind.
Same here. Both are equally needed for me to have well-being.
Other things might help too, like getting out more, being more sociable, but I can only do what I can do.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
Having important things to do, and being able to learn new things is vital for mental well being.

I consider emotional well being and mental well being to be two different things. Emotional well being is also vital for mental well being. Good relationships make for emotional well being, even if it's just being healthy in how you self relate.

Other then that, I think it's all about living the virtues, and removing falsehoods from life; falsehoods that are assumed to be true but are really not needed, and could actually be pulling a person down.

It also helps to make the environment you surround yourself in as motivating as possible, things that inspire.

Viker

Häxan
I use religious practice/faith and "right thinking" or cognitive analysis and therapy. I don't see religious faith/practice as necessary for most. Just for myself. Faith all alone would become totally useless to me without putting it into constructive usage. Hence, practice. I put other because the two aren't equals but don't have to be exclusive. Putting both into perspective and then action, they both can be complimentary.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
feature-image-red.png

Which, in you opinion, is the better means to mental well-being,

Religious Faith or Right Thinking?
What is “Right Thinking?"

Is mental well-being possible without religious faith?
Do you see each as equivalent to the other?
Or do you know of a better method to mental well-being?
First me, it's having a sense of neutrality and non attachment that keeps the mind stable.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
In short: Follow your conscience is a Highway to mental well being

Can you lengthen this slightly, because as I read it, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me, perhaps in part that I haven't had my morning coffee. How do I follow something that isn't separate from me?