• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mental Health Stigma

The Transcended Omniverse

People who say that depressed people are deserving of scorn and to be called selfish have no idea what they are talking about. There are two concepts here. One is the idea of something while the other is the experience. Someone can just simply look at the idea of a depressed person feeling that their lives are worthless and empty and tell them to just stop feeling sorry for themselves and move on.

However, these people are unaware of what this experience is like for this person. These people are simply doing nothing more than judging the person based on what they see and not what they experience for themselves. Even if this person claimed to have moved on and found worth/meaning in his/her life despite crippling depression, the fact is that his/her experience is different than this other person's and he/she cannot judge the other person based on his/her own experiences.

It is also a misconception to think that having worth, joy, and meaning in one's life is all just a matter of the way you think. It is more complicated than that. It is our brains that allow us to perceive meaning in our lives through our mental experiences. Our mental experiences allow us to perceive so many things including sight, hearing, smell, sound, and meaning.

But to think that meaning is solely tied and can always be achieved through one particular mental experience (thought), this is a big misconception. When I was depressed, my life and the relationship with my family seemed completely empty and everything seemed dead. Even while I truly thought to myself that my life still has meaning, it did nothing. It did not make my life actually seem filled with meaning or joy at all. It was just telling myself nothing more than a thought.

Everything just seemed like nothing more than empty shapes, sounds, etc. When I looked at my own family, I just perceived nothing more than empty meaningless shapes. It was not my way of thinking at all that did this. It was my depressed brain that took away the perception of meaning in my life. It was my depression itself that made everything seem like empty meaningless shapes.

So I can conclude here that having meaning in one's life for some people is a different mental state than our thinking. It is some sort of mental perception in which when we look at our family, they seem truly meaningful and alive in our lives. They are not perceived by our brains as being empty shapes. We need this mental perception to have meaning in our lives. Without that, then our way of thinking alone can do nothing for us.

This mental perception would be my good moods. When I am not depressed and I have my good moods (feelings of happiness which would be my feelings of pleasure), then this is an experience that completely fills my life with joy and meaning. Some people would say that pleasure is nothing more than some chemical feel-good sensation in the brain and that it is nothing important for this very reason.

But here again, these people are only looking at the idea of what pleasure is and failing to look at what the experience is like for me. In terms of the actual experience of pleasure, I would not even describe it as pleasure because to do so would imply that it is nothing more than some feel-good sensation in the brain. It is far more than that in terms of my experience of it. It is a divine surging life force that fills everything in my life.

So to call me selfish and frown upon me for thinking that my feelings of pleasure are the only things that can bring joy and meaning to my life is judging me based on your own brain (your own experiences). For me, my experience of pleasure really is the only thing that gives me that mental perception of meaning in my life. For this person, that mental perception can be achieved through his/her way of thinking alone even while he/she is depressed.

But for many people, this mental perception can only be achieved by the brain through being in a good mood. This mental perception resides in different experiences for different people. Like I said, for some it resides in their way of thinking alone so that even while they feel depressed, they are still able to perceive full joy and meaning in their lives just by truly thinking that they still have meaning and joy in their lives.

But for many people like me, this mental perception only resides in our feelings of pleasure. In other words, it is only our feelings of pleasure (our good moods) that can give meaning and joy to our lives since they are the only things that create that mental perception of joy and meaning in our lives. For us, this mental perception takes on a feeling/emotional form (a feeling/emotional experience of joy/meaning through our good feelings/emotions) while for others it takes on the form of thought alone. So you must understand here that the brain is a very complicated organ and so too is joy/meaning.

So for me, living an eternal blissful life of no more suffering is the only life that can ever bring joy/meaning to my life. It would be the afterlife. But I do not believe in it and I am living a depressed life here. So my life is truly meaningless and can never be meaningful ever again. This does not make me selfish or someone worthy of scorn. It is just how my brain is and this is just how it perceives joy/meaning.

jeager106

Learning more about Jehovah.
Premium Member
I have suffered from clinical depression for years.
Is this because of a brutal childhood?
A chemical imbalance in my brain?
The pain of seeing so much trauma from being a police officer?
I don't have a clue. Probably all the above.
I take an anti-depressant and get on with my life that I have made
as satisfying as I can.
I treat others as I would be treated.
With agape love and compassion.

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member
I have suffered from clinical depression for years.
Is this because of a brutal childhood?
A chemical imbalance in my brain?
The pain of seeing so much trauma from being a police officer?
I don't have a clue. Probably all the above.
I take an anti-depressant and get on with my life that I have made
as satisfying as I can.
I treat others as I would be treated.
With agape love and compassion.
The brain is still pretty complex, it is difficult to pin point. Mrs. Q works with school psychologists and she tells me about it. From what I gather, it is an exceptionally difficult task.

jeager106

Premium Member
I became a police officer when I was 25 years old.
I grew up in the country having little experience with crime or criminals.
I saw a cop toss a coffee cup to go lid on the ground and immediately mentally
pronounced him a "crooked cop". He wasn't.
My first call, first night on the job, was a shooting. A man shot a female point blank
contact would to the left breast blowing out her entire lung. Blood and meat stuck to
the walls. She lived! Can't kill white trash.
Then police work got even worse. My city was in the top 10 for violent crime in
Ohio. I had no idea.
I learned from the older experienced cops to drink (alcohol) away the trauma and
never show it affected me at all.
This led to all manner of psychological issues later in life, some I fight to this day.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
People who say that depressed people are deserving of scorn and to be called selfish
I just don't hear much of that thinking in current times. I hear sympathy predominantly. People are predominantly on your side. It seems nowadays nobody is perfect and imperfection is not a 'stigma'.

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
I just don't hear much of that thinking in current times. I hear sympathy predominantly. People are predominantly on your side. It seems nowadays nobody is perfect and imperfection is not a 'stigma'.

I think you are basically right but some stigma is still out there due to a lack of true compassion.

Would be nice if we could all embrace our imperfections and quit judging ...

Enjoy your day

FTNZ

Agnostic Atheist Ex-Christian
I think that's true in the context of what people say to one's face, but a lot of employers would not hire a person they knew had depression, or they would try to get rid of the person. Also, potential romantic partners are the same. And even if your bf/gf accepts you, their parents often don't.

People are usually happy to say they accept depressed people, but if it affects their life in some way, they back away behind the scenes. It will take a long time to change the stigma in society.

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
I became a police officer when I was 25 years old.
I grew up in the country having little experience with crime or criminals.
I saw a cop toss a coffee cup to go lid on the ground and immediately mentally
pronounced him a "crooked cop". He wasn't.
My first call, first night on the job, was a shooting. A man shot a female point blank
contact would to the left breast blowing out her entire lung. Blood and meat stuck to
the walls. She lived! Can't kill white trash.
Then police work got even worse. My city was in the top 10 for violent crime in
Ohio. I had no idea.
I learned from the older experienced cops to drink (alcohol) away the trauma and
never show it affected me at all.
This led to all manner of psychological issues later in life, some I fight to this day.

Where do you live? Perhaps you could try Medical Marijuana for PTSD.

Doctor Sanjay Gupta had an interesting show on it. I think it was called Weed 2. Look it up.

jeager106

Premium Member
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh boy! I get to be stoned legally!
I'll look into that. It might be a big help.
I took type of medical T.H.C. in capsule form when I had no appetite and was loosing weight.
It worked. I ate like a horse! :>) There is NO high associated with the meds.

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh boy! I get to be stoned legally!
I'll look into that. It might be a big help.
I took type of medical T.H.C. in capsule form when I had no appetite and was loosing weight.
It worked. I ate like a horse! :>) There is NO high associated with the meds.

He actually put out three of these documentaries.

The first one dealt mainly with marijuana for children with severe epilepsy.

I know the second had some military and police PTSD and how marijuana was helping, and how it worked in the brain.

The third covered more PTSD, and Alzheimer's Disease.

I'm not sure if the main info for PTSD was in WEED 2, or WEED 3.

All three are very interesting.