• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mental health services are rubbish

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member

I haven't seen my psychiatrist in over two years, indeed probably more like over three years

And they haven't bothered assigning me a worker so I'm all alone

For all they know I could be in some terrible condition

But fortunately I'm not

But as far as they know I could very well be

I understand that people who are acutely unwell should be prioritised over those who are only chronically unwell

But I think I should still be seeing my psychiatrist, if only once every few months

Although yes, I see a nurse every month when I have my monthly blood test, but he only ever asks about side-effects from my meds, that's all he's interested in

RabbiO

הרב יונה בן זכריה
If it is any consolation, I think a goodly percentage of the forum would agree with you that you should be seeing your psychiatrist. Where many might differ with you is the frequency with which you should be meeting your health care professional.

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
If it is any consolation, I think a goodly percentage of the forum would agree with you that you should be seeing your psychiatrist. Where many might differ with you is the frequency with which you should be meeting your health care professional.
As far as they're concerned I'm "stable"

So I'm not a priority

At my monthly blood test the nurse asks a list of questions, one of which is "how is your mental health" and I always say "stable" so he literally ticks that box on the form that has "stable" listed next to it

But to me "stable" is a meaningless concept

You can be in a very bad way and still be stable

The whole system is impersonal and bureaucratic

Next time I might give him a different answer to "stable" to see what he says

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

I haven't seen my psychiatrist in over two years, indeed probably more like over three years

But fortunately I'm not

I understand that people who are acutely unwell should be prioritised over those who are only chronically unwell

But I think I should still be seeing my psychiatrist, if only once every few months

Although yes, I see a nurse every month when I have my monthly blood test, but he only ever asks about side-effects from my meds, that's all he's interested in
Most seem to be only interested in prescribing pills. It makes me wonder if there are any kickbacks involved. ;0]

I dunno why healthcare has gotten so 'sterile' nowadays. Maybe its due to the workload and perhaps a shortage of professionals maybe?

pearl

It might have to do with your insurance. Medication is always the cheaper way out, I have an 17 yr old grandson with ADHD who from age 7 was placed on medication to counteract the affects. Work ok until this year. The med strength was increased as needed through the years 'till this year and his pediatrician informed that he may no longer prescribe a stronger medication only prescribed by a psychiatrist. Due to covid his visit was virtual. I'm hoping the next visit will be in person and he receives more than medication, some therapy in skills to manage his reaction to events other than loosing his temper.

HonestJoe

Sadly that is true pretty much everywhere. They tend to fall down the general priorities for a variety of reasons.

Why are you telling us? Tell your psychiatrist! Make an appointment and see them. You've made the big step of recognising the need, now you just need to get off your backside and do something about it.

RestlessSoul

You're in England aren't you? mental health services here are woefully underfunded, I understand. How often do you speak to your GP? He or she has responsibility for all aspects of your healthcare, so if you feel you are not getting the support you need, that would be a good place to start.

You might also consider contacting an independent charity or support group such as MIND.

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
Why are you telling us? Tell your psychiatrist! Make an appointment and see them. You've made the big step of recognising the need, now you just need to get off your backside and do something about it.
The thing is though, I am exactly the same as I was when I last saw him, nothing has changed since then, so there's no point. And he isn't interested. He's given me my diagnosis, he's given my meds - the rest is let up to the nurse who I see each month

But I still think that I should see my psychiatrist routinely. But he's made it clear he doesn't want to see me routinely.

RestlessSoul

Yes, that's my impression

There are other therapies available, besides medication. But you have to push for them, because access has always been limited and I doubt that situation has improved much in recent years.

Your community nurse should be willing to at least discuss things with you in a general way, even if his caseload is such that he can’t do a lot for you personally.

HonestJoe

The thing is though, I am exactly the same as I was when I last saw him, nothing has changed since then, so there's no point.
I'm not sure what the issue is then. You seems to be saying there is no point in you seeing him but you want to see him anyway? If you're seeing the nurse regularly and given the opportunity to raise any issues or concerns at that point (which would presumably be raised up to the psychiatrist to follow-up as necessary), you're in a much better position than many.

I would expect that if you really want regular sessions with a psychiatrist (though not necessarily your current one) you could arrange that too, though you'd probably need to pay for it.

PureX

Veteran Member
It's all about the money. Health care is expensive and no one wants to pay the tab. Unfortunately, that means things have to come to a crisis point before anyone is willing to help deal with it.

I guess the question is what can you do to help yourself in this regard?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

But fortunately I'm not

My brother in law is in the UK and has suffered schizophrenia for close on 20 years.

Over that time he has seen drastic changes in the service which come about by government cutbacks. Mental health is not profitable so defunded, destaffed, reduced training.

Three years ago he attempted suicide, for around 6 months following that the attention he received was really outstanding considering the devastation imposed on mental health services. Since then he has had one video chat with a psychiatrist and two visits from councilors.

Now he has taken it on himself to use a private psychological therapist, at least he now has the sessions he needs even if he pays for the service.

And he uses me as an unpaid councilor several times a day.

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
I'm not sure what the issue is then. You seems to be saying there is no point in you seeing him but you want to see him anyway? If you're seeing the nurse regularly and given the opportunity to raise any issues or concerns at that point (which would presumably be raised up to the psychiatrist to follow-up as necessary), you're in a much better position than many.

I would expect that if you really want regular sessions with a psychiatrist (though not necessarily your current one) you could arrange that too, though you'd probably need to pay for it.
The thing is, a person less assertive than me could easily fall through the cracks of such a system - I'm thinking of the type of person who doesn't put themselves forward or stand up for themselves. Which is what plenty of mentally ill people are like.