• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Men's Issues/Masculism DIR

Should we have a Men's Issues DIR?

• Yes

Votes: 29 64.4%
  • No

Votes: 16 35.6%

• Total voters

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
I voted yes. There are political and cultural concerns that impact boys and men specifically that ought to have an arena for discussion and debate for the purpose of finding possibilities for solutions. I don't believe staff would allow a Masculinist DIR to operate with allowances for trolling feminism, but would definitely allow a restricted forum to focus entirely on issues pertaining to male-specific issues.

I favor it. I have brought up some issues such as the stoic, Marlboro Man stereotype that males are supposed to have in the Feminist Only forum I my "Mystic Dream" thread (where I dream of the day fathers realize the importance in their presence and their tenderness). I would like to see other males who don't identify necessarily as feminists offer their perspective on issues such as these, custody issues, domestic violence, over-medicated boys misdiagnosed with ADHD, and suffering in silence as victims of sexual assault.

And even if they see our culture as oppressively matriarchal rather than patriarchal, I'd support it. I don't agree, and perhaps I wouldn't belong as a result, but members deserve a forum to express their POV's nonetheless.

ignition

The point of the DIRs is to have discussions without fear of being confronted.

Confrontation of ideas is what the debate sections are for.

Yes. Do that in debate sections.

Show me.

Since I'm an aspie you can trust that whatever I say means nothing other than the words, and anything I say is exactly what they mean without any hidden, implicit meanings.
So let me get this straight: A person who identifies himself as a Muslim but has strange or faulty or false interpretations of the Qur'an is allowed to post unchallenged in the Islam DIR. But a person who identifies himself as a feminist but does not agree with things like male taxes or freeing women prisons is not permitted to post in the Feminist section? That's basically what you're saying. You want me to conform with the London Feminist Network's idea of feminism if I want to post in the feminist section, But you're perfectly fine with factually inaccurate interpretations in the Islam DIR.

Last edited:

ignition

I dont think you would be excluded from the feminist DIR for that. After all, I disagree with the "male tax" and I still identify myself as a feminist.
I'm not too sure that's true sadly, you might be a feminist, but you're not extreme enough to be accepted into feminist DIR.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
So let me get this straight: A person who identifies himself as a Muslim but has strange or faulty or false interpretations of the Qur'an is allowed to post unchallenged in the Islam DIR. But a person who identifies himself as a feminist but does not agree with things like male taxes or freeing women prisons is not permitted to post in the Feminist section? That's basically what you're saying. You want me to conform with the London Feminist Network's idea of feminism if I want to post in the feminist section, put you're perfectly fine with factually inaccurate interpretations in the Islam DIR.

I don't agree with a male tax, or the LFN, and I am a feminist.

I'll state again: feminist =/= misandrist

ignition

I don't agree with a male tax, or the LFN, and I am a feminist.

I'll state again: feminist =/= misandrist
I know, I'm a feminist as well lol and I don't agree with any of that. But that still doesn't mean I'm allowed to post in the feminist section apparently.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I know, I'm a feminist as well lol and I don't agree with any of that. But that still doesn't mean I'm allowed to post in the feminist section apparently.
Did you take the entrance exam which, if passing, makes you eligible for consideration?

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
So let me get this straight: A person who identifies himself as a Muslim but has strange or faulty or false interpretations of the Qur'an is allowed to post unchallenged in the Islam DIR. But a person who identifies himself as a feminist but does not agree with things like male taxes or freeing women prisons is not permitted to post in the Feminist section? That's basically what you're saying. You want me to conform with the London Feminist Network's idea of feminism if I want to post in the feminist section, But you're perfectly fine with factually inaccurate interpretations in the Islam DIR.

There's a difference between identifying as something and just calling yourself that something.

The difference having to do with a requisite level of interest and/or commitment to the ideals involved.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I propose that the Masculinist Only forum be green. I might want to contribute, & fully expect
that I'd fit in, but I don't want to adopt the label....not yet anyway. I'd have to consider it.

A difference between Feminist & Masculinist Only forums is that the former has expressed
a greater need for isolation from those who annoy them. Thus, my vote for green.

I don't believe staff would allow a Masculinist DIR to operate with allowances for trolling feminism.....
I wouldn't worry about a variety of feminism which is trolling. The rules already address that.

....perhaps I wouldn't belong as a result, but members deserve a forum to express their POV's nonetheless.
If it were green, you'd be able to post to your heart's content.
(You know those admin types....lobby for this, OK?)

Last edited:

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
So let me get this straight: A person who identifies himself as a Muslim but has strange or faulty or false interpretations of the Qur'an is allowed to post unchallenged in the Islam DIR.

Not if he does so in an argumentative way.

But a person who identifies himself as a feminist but does not agree with things like male taxes or freeing women prisons is not permitted to post in the Feminist section? That's basically what you're saying.
No, it's what you're saying. I asked you to show me where I said that, and you did not provide.

You want me to
How bold.

ignition

suffering in silence as victims of sexual assault.
There was a guy in the news recently who committed suicide because apparently his complaints about sexual advancements by his female boss were ignored. BBC News - BBC's Russell Joslin killed himself after harassment complaints I find this very hard to believe to be honest, there must have been some other more severe issues at play, it hints at it in the article. It's definitely much easier for women to get away with sexual assaults, I don't think there's any doubts about that. I've had a lot of occasions where *technically* a sexual assault happened to me, but I didn't think to report it at all because the person who done it was fit, or it felt good. I've had my bum pinched couple times though by my female line manager last summer, but in fairness she did allow me to come late a lot of times and sometimes even stay at home when I can't be asked haha so I'm not complaining.

ignition

Funny you should mention a test to be considered for entrance to the Feminism DIR
Feminist Perspectives Scale
My score:
Conservative 33
Women of color 31
Cultural Feminist 29
Liberal feminist 28
Social feminist 24
Radical feminist 21

I think it's BS. The questions were absolutely outrageous, very very anti-capitalist for starters. And then you had a host of other stupid questions which have nothing to do with feminism at all.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
My score:
Conservative 33
Women of color 31
Cultural Feminist 29
Liberal feminist 28
Social feminist 24
Radical feminist 21

I think it's BS. The questions were absolutely outrageous, very very anti-capitalist for starters. And then you had a host of other stupid questions which have nothing to do with feminism at all.
Dang! None of us are getting anywhere near 100.
We're all in the D- or E+ range as feminists.

It was better than this test though....
http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/3392767-post232.html

Last edited: