• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Men's Issues/Masculism DIR

Should we have a Men's Issues DIR?

• Yes

Votes: 29 64.4%
  • No

Votes: 16 35.6%

• Total voters

idav

Being
Premium Member
Well naturally some issues may be rooted with women so it may cross into feminist issues. Id suggest a couple thread titles like ”why boobs are taking over America and how to keep them coverrd” or ”why burning bras denies reason”. Perhaps some debate between masculist and feminist but not in dirs.

Badran

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I'm not sure why but i feel some kind of shame reading the posts of female members expressing such genuine interest in this DIR idea. I don't see why i should, but i do.

And it's not that i didn't expect them to. May be i'm just humbled by the emotion and it's sincerity.

Kerr

It may sound silly, but I think men should be able to do things like ballet without being regarded "unmanly". Just guessing in the case of ballet, tbh. But the point is I think the term "manly" is a bit rigid sometimes and it would be great if it could be a little more flexible.

Badran

Veteran Member
Premium Member
In regards to this DIR idea, while i originally didn't feel like it's really needed (from a practical stand point only, as in considering whether or not there's a specific need for a DIR in particular, not whether or not these topics are serious and need addressing), since there seems to be desire for it i support the idea if it's really wanted.

Kerr

I'm not sure why but i feel some kind of shame reading the posts of female members expressing such genuine interest in this DIR idea. I don't see why i should, but i do.

And it's not that i didn't expect them to. May be i'm just humbled by the emotion and it's sincerity.
In all seriousness, my first impression is that its no needed and just silly to claim it is. Now I am starting to think that might be a topic for such a forum. The whole "a man doesnt need help" thing is quite silly at times.

Badran

Veteran Member
Premium Member

For clarification, by shame i was meaning that i felt like i'm not doing enough, or something along those lines.

Guilt, in other words.

Badran

Veteran Member
Premium Member
In all seriousness, my first impression is that its no needed and just silly to claim it is. Now I am starting to think that might be a topic for such a forum. The whole "a man doesnt need help" thing is quite silly at times.

Agreed.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
Honestly, I don't really see the point, since pretty much all the "men's issues" I'm aware of are already covered under feminism, and so "masculinism" is simply a rebranding of what amounts to the same philosophy: gender equality.

I, personally, consider such rebranding as a waste of time, because of the fact that when a term catches on, it doesn't particularly matter whether it's a misnomer or not (see JRPG.)

Riverwolf

Premium Member

I need help all the time, and I'm a man. ^_^

Apex

Somewhere Around Nothing
Honestly, I don't really see the point, since pretty much all the "men's issues" I'm aware of are already covered under feminism, and so "masculinism" is simply a rebranding of what amounts to the same philosophy: gender equality.

I, personally, consider such rebranding as a waste of time, because of the fact that when a term catches on, it doesn't particularly matter whether it's a misnomer or not (see JRPG.)
But what about those of us who disagree with the name "feminism", even though we may still support its causes? It has already been made crystal clear we are not welcome in the feminism DIR, so where do we post?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Hmm...the best reason for a Masculinist Only forum would be completeness.
If I see a Feminist Only forum, I expect to see a balancing entry. But then, I'm one of
those who compulsively straightens pictures in other people's homes & businesses.

Riverwolf

Premium Member
But what about those of us who disagree with the name "feminism", even though we may still support its causes? It has already been made crystal clear we are not welcome in the feminism DIR, so where do we post?

Frankly, it's like saying Mexico shouldn't be called that since the Aztecs, who called themselves the Mexica, aren't really around anymore, or that England shouldn't be called that since the vast majority of the people who live there aren't descended from the Anglo-Saxons. It's just nitpicky at best.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Even that approach has been challenged.
Note posts #4 & #5.
http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/feminist-only/150439-leadership-gap.html
It remains clear as mud to me.
So I'm not a fan of purple forums, which make rule enforcement more susceptible to personality conflicts & cliques.

Last edited:

ignition

Frankly, it's like saying Mexico shouldn't be called that since the Aztecs, who called themselves the Mexica, aren't really around anymore, or that England shouldn't be called that since the vast majority of the people who live there aren't descended from the Anglo-Saxons. It's just nitpicky at best.
Well, it's not nitpicky if you're chucked out of the forum is it? The fact is that feminist movements have highjacked the name feminism to stand for things a lot of people would find offensive, to even question this is not allowed in the feminist DIR. Am I right or am I right?

ignition

Causing trouble in any DIR or DIR-like forum is grounds for being chucked out of them, regardless of personal affiliation.
So it's not allowed to question feminist movements in the feminist DIR? By that logic, I'm guessing it's not allowed to question people's interpretation of the Qur'an in the Islam DIR?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Causing trouble in any DIR or DIR-like forum is grounds for being chucked out of them, regardless of personal affiliation.
But in a blue & especially purple forum, one needn't cause any trouble at all to get the boot.
In purple, mere presence (even with respectful questions) is impermissible. So membership becomes critical.
Ideally, if we limited ourselves strictly to civil discourse, the green classification would even be superfluous.

Riverwolf

Premium Member
So it's not allowed to question feminist movements in the feminist DIR? By that logic, I'm guessing it's not allowed to question people's interpretation of the Qur'an in the Islam DIR?

That is correct, if you're doing the questioning in an argumentative fashion.