• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Men Without Work

Brickjectivity

Turned to Stone. Now I stretch daily.
Staff member
Premium Member
Did you know that 1 in every 8 men (not in prison) in USA have had a felony conviction?
Did you know that for every unemployed male aged 25-54, that there are 3 who have stopped looking? Therefore unemployment figures are missing 3/4 of the problem.
Did you know that since WWII male labor participation has steadily declined around the world, not because of recessions or because of demand problems or because of the introduction of women into the workforce but for some other reason? It is a decline that is linear and is not affected by recessions, depressions, lack of education?
Did you know marriage is what keeps most males looking instead of not looking?
Did you know that most males not looking for work spend most of their time on entertainment?

Its a long video about a short book.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
Did you know that 1 in every 8 men (not in prison) in USA have had a felony conviction?
Did you know that for every unemployed male aged 25-54, that there are 3 who have stopped looking? Therefore unemployment figures are missing 3/4 of the problem.
Did you know that since WWII male labor participation has steadily declined around the world, not because of recessions or because of demand problems or because of the introduction of women into the workforce but for some other reason? It is a decline that is linear and is not affected by recessions, depressions, lack of education?
Did you know that most males not looking for work spend most of their time on entertainment?

I just took another suicide prevention training, and while I don't remember the stats or have the ability to look them up right now, but the number of men who die by suicide versus women is sobering.

(Noting that women attempt suicide more, but men actually die from it more often, likely based on more lethal means and a lack of male emotional support for depression.)

Stonetree

Model Member
Premium Member

Thank you for bringing this issue to the attention of the members of RF......This is a sad situation for any American to accept. I don't know how this trend can be turned around. There are complex multiple factors that contribute to this problem..I did take the time to watch the video...

Last edited:

Gargovic Malkav

I just took another suicide prevention training, and while I don't remember the stats or have the ability to look them up right now, but the number of men who die by suicide versus women is sobering.

(Noting that women attempt suicide more, but men actually die from it more often, likely based on more lethal means and a lack of male emotional support for depression.)

I also wonder how much the individual's intent is taken into account.
Some people attempt suicide with the intent of garnering attention and/or drama, whereas others do it with the actual intent of killing themselves.

Audie

Veteran Member
Thank you for bringing this issue to the attention of the members of RF......This is a sad situation for any American to accept. I don't know how this trend can be turned around. There are complex multiple factors that contribute to this problem..I did take the time to watch the video...
Turn it around?

How about no work no eat.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Mrs Revolt used to suggest I look for work.
She had no success.
Now she's accepted that I'm retired.
I still occasionally move machinery for pay.
(Don't tell the cops...they'd want me to
get a commercial license & DOT number
for Mr Van.)

BTW, I invest in a manner that keeps friends
more productive & profitable by lending money
for equipment, facilities, items to resell.
Everyone wins. Go capitalism!

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member

Young American males are in crisis in America, and no wonder, their institutions have taught them that there's no such thing as absolute truth, that they are merely smart apes, television has taught them that they are dufass' good for nothing but beer drinking and sex.
Men need purpose in their lives.. to know that they're doing something that matters.
They need jobs that bring some sense of satisfaction.

Exaltist Ethan

Bridging the Gap Between Believers and Skeptics
I am one of those men without work. I've already given up trying to create a "normal" life for myself. If you are going to label me as someone with a severe disability and put me on SSI, I'll take every advantage I can from it. I don't care anymore.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Young American males are in crisis in America, and no wonder, their institutions have taught them that there's no such thing as absolute truth, that they are merely smart apes, television has taught them that they are dufass' good for nothing but beer drinking and sex.
Men need purpose in their lives.. to know that they're doing something that matters.
They need jobs that bring some sense of satisfaction.
If people who believe in "absolute truth" can't
even agree on what's true, what's so absolute
about it?
This evolved (barely) ape never needed truth
to be inspired to work. So your religion isn't
necessary.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I am one of those men without work. I've already given up trying to create a "normal" life for myself. If you are going to label me as someone with a severe disability and put me on SSI, I'll take every advantage I can from it. I don't care anymore.
See post #6.
No one should be forced to take care of those
who just don't want to carry their own weight.

PureX

Veteran Member
I have a couple of questions. One is how are they surviving if they are not 'working'? Humans everywhere have to work at something to survive. They have to procure the necessities of their survival in some way. So, if they are not participating in the global culture's current mechanisms for doing that, how are they doing it?

Then the next question of course is why are they doing it this way? And I'm sure there will be no one answer to that question. The list of reasons will likely be long and include all of the above, and then some.

And then finally, I have to ask if there is a better way? A way that would be more inclusive and more satisfactory to everyone involved?

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
See post #6.

There are many who are unable to carry their own weight for one reason or another, be it societal, medical, or economic.

I believe in looking into why they're not carrying their own weight instead of abandoning them altogether and, if necessary, helping them through social security. It solves nothing to let, say, a mentally disabled person become hungry or homeless just because they lack the ability to work.

Exaltist Ethan

Bridging the Gap Between Believers and Skeptics
See post #6.

Fortunately society now days isn't really like that.
If I weren't on disability I would be underemployed.
My medications cost thousands of dollars and would cost too much for be to buy with private insurance.
I'll take every goddamn government benefit I'm legally able to take.

Stonetree

Model Member
Premium Member
I have a couple of questions. One is how are they surviving if they are not 'working'? Humans everywhere have to work at something to survive. They have to procure the necessities of their survival in some way. So, if they are not participating in the global culture's current mechanisms for doing that, how are they doing it?

Then the next question of course is why are they doing it this way? And I'm sure there will be no one answer to that question. The list of reasons will likely be long and include all of the above, and then some.

And then finally, I have to ask if there is a better way? A way that would be more inclusive and more satisfactory to everyone involved?
In the video there were references to 'Welfare' and family support. Eberstadt also mentioned many were on pain killers and perhaps they sell some of their medications. Otherwise I don't know how they survive....

PureX

Veteran Member
In the video there were references to 'Welfare' and family support. Eberstadt also mentioned many were on pain killers and perhaps they sell some of their medications. Otherwise I don't know how they survive....
I matters a lot. Being a thief, for example, IS a job. Being a social welfare parasite IS a job. Being an addict hustling every day for the next high IS a job. As all of these methods of survival take persistent daily effort to make them viable. And of course none of this effort is ever going to show up on anyone's statistical questionairs or studies. Yet we need to know this if wish to effectively address these problems.