• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Men and brethren, what shall we do?"

Bro Rando

After Peter delivered his first sermon to those gathered for the celebration of Pentecost in Jerusalem, convicting them of the murder of Jesus and convincing them that He was the Messiah, they asked him this question (Acts 2:37). He then tells them, "Repent, and let every one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit." (Acts 2:38) Why then do so many deny that either repentance or baptism are requirements of salvation? (Scripture quoted from NKJV.)

Interesting. You are the first person I came across to recognize the true baptism.

A closer look at Matthew 28:19….

InChrist

Free4ever
"lest anyone should say that I had baptized in my own name." Paul isn't saying that baptism isn't required, he's saying that they were putting emphasis where it shouldn't be, namely on who was doing the preaching, and trying to divide the church up based on those names. They were trying to start denominations, and he WASN'T HAVING IT! But he's not saying here that baptism is not required for salvation. He's saying it should be in the name of Christ, that the name of Christ is the one you should be wearing. It should not be the church of Paul or the church of Peter or the church of Apollos, but the church of Christ, and please leave my (Paul's) name out of it.

A better question would be, "Why was Paul not told that since he now believed he was saved?" If belief is alone enough to save a man, why didn't Jesus, who was standing right in front of him, tell him that? Why instead send Paul to a place where he would be told what he must do? Why send him Ananias to tell him, "And now why are you waiting? Arise and be baptized, and wash away your sins, calling on the name of the Lord."

I agree, it is true Paul opposed division and baptizing in the name of men, including his own. Nevertheless, he clearly stated he had baptized only a few. If baptism was required for salvation then Paul would have stated so and baptized many, many souls during his missionary years. He also stated he was sent NOT BAPTIZE , but to preach the Gospel. This shows that water baptism has nothing to do with the Gospel or Salvation. If it did then Paul was certainly being amiss in his preaching and by not baptizing very many. In Romans 10:8-.13 Paul says “whoever calls upon the name of the Lord shall be saved”... without any mention of baptism to be saved.

The word is near you, in your mouth and in your heart”(that is, the word of faith which we preach): 9 that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. 10 For with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. 11 For the Scripture says, “Whoever believes on Him will not be put to shame.” 12 For there is no distinction between Jew and Greek, for the same Lord over all is rich to all who call upon Him. 13 For “whoever calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved.”

Paul and Silas say the same thing when then jailer asks...

Sirs, what must I do to be saved?”

So they said, “Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and you will be saved, you and your household.”
Acts 16:30-31

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
The book of Acts is often called the book of conversions, and there are many instances of people being required to be baptized for the remission of their sins. But perhaps more telling is the fact that Jesus Himself stated that baptism would be a requirement of salvation when speaking to Nicodemus (John 3:1-7). He states, "Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God."

A very good example is the instance of Philip and the Ethiopian eunuch (Acts 8:36-38). Philip baptized this man in water after preaching Jesus to him. Other good examples are Cornelius and his household, the Philippian jailer, and Lydia.

As a final point, I Peter 3:21 explicitly states, "There is also an antitype which now saves us--baptism (not the removal of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God), the resurrection of Jesus Christ,".

Water represents purity of heart because Jesus also says the pure in heart shall see God. (Beautitudes) without any stipulation of physical water being a requirement.

RestlessSoul

Water represents purity of heart because Jesus also says the pure in heart shall see God. (Beautitudes) without any stipulation of physical water being a requirement.

Human civilisation began near rivers, and all living things are mostly made of water. Which is why rivers play a part in theologies from The Jordan to The Ganges.

CrochetOverCoffee

Ask me anything about the church of Christ.
I agree, it is true Paul opposed division and baptizing in the name of men, including his own. Nevertheless, he clearly stated he had baptized only a few. If baptism was required for salvation then Paul would have stated so and baptized many, many souls during his missionary years. He also stated he was sent NOT BAPTIZE , but to preach the Gospel. This shows that water baptism has nothing to do with the Gospel or Salvation. If it did then Paul was certainly being amiss in his preaching and by not baptizing very many. In Romans 10:8-.13 Paul says “whoever calls upon the name of the Lord shall be saved”... without any mention of baptism to be saved.

The word is near you, in your mouth and in your heart”(that is, the word of faith which we preach): 9 that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. 10 For with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. 11 For the Scripture says, “Whoever believes on Him will not be put to shame.” 12 For there is no distinction between Jew and Greek, for the same Lord over all is rich to all who call upon Him. 13 For “whoever calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved.”

So they said, “Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and you will be saved, you and your household.”

If you believe, you should obey, and baptism is commanded. How many times should it have to be commanded before it is actually a command? Once. It was also the first thing told to the first audience of the first sermon preached after Jesus's resurrection. And what does Luke say happened to these people who were being baptized? "And the Lord added to the church daily those who were being saved." (Acts 2:47) They weren't added until they were saved, and they were saved by obeying what they were told to do when they asked the question, "What shall we do?"

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
In the Gospels 3 types of baptism are mention.

Baptism with water
Baptism with fire
Baptism with the Holy Spirit

If taken literally no person could survive fire so a meaning other than this is intended.

Both water and fire symbolise cleansing in this case the heart, and the Holy Spirit signifies that this is a spiritual event of the heart, not just a repetitive ritual. The person must truly believe in the Lord in their heart, to become a confirmed believer.

An outward ceremony does not guarantee this according to the verse below.

21 “Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven. 22 Many will say to Me in that day, ‘Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?’ 23 And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!’ Matthew 7:21-23

To my understanding, outward baptism has been an administrative function by churches to maintain records of membership but acceptance into the Kingdom of God is conditional upon one doing the will of the ‘Father’.

So true baptism in this day, according to Jesus and entering the Kingdom of God, can only be attained by doing the Will of the Father. And in this day, the Father’s Will is revealed to us.

Say, Lo! The Father is come, and that which ye were promised in the Kingdom is fulfilled! This is the Word which the Son concealed, when to those around Him He said: ‘Ye cannot bear it now.’ And when the appointed time was fulfilled and the Hour had struck, the Word shone forth above the horizon of the Will of God. Beware, O followers of the Son, that ye cast it not behind your backs. Take ye fast hold of it. Better is this for you than all that ye possess. Verily He is nigh unto them that do good. The Hour which We had concealed from the knowledge of the peoples of the earth and of the favoured angels hath come to pass. Say, verily, He hath testified of Me, and I do testify of Him. Indeed, He hath purposed no one other than Me. Unto this beareth witness every fair-minded and understanding soul. (Baha’u’llah)

Muffled

Jesus in me
After Peter delivered his first sermon to those gathered for the celebration of Pentecost in Jerusalem, convicting them of the murder of Jesus and convincing them that He was the Messiah, they asked him this question (Acts 2:37). He then tells them, "Repent, and let every one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit." (Acts 2:38) Why then do so many deny that either repentance or baptism are requirements of salvation? (Scripture quoted from NKJV.)

I believe I don't know of anyone who thinks repentance is not necessary for salvation. However it can't save by itself. I repented sometime around 1967 but did not receive Jesus as Lord and Savior until 1971. Also I was not baptized until 1978 and yet I was still saved all those years in between. Also athought the Spirit of God was in me in 1971 I did not receive what is called the Baptism of the Holy Spirit until 1978 ( a different event from water baptism) when I received the gift of tongues.

Muffled

Jesus in me
Welcome to RF

baptism is not in the name jesus. the name is a whole other name. it is the name, notice not plural, of the Father, the son, and the holy spirit into which the of self is immersed. the holy spirit isn't called jehovah, nor is it called jesus. the father is not called jesus either.

I believe Peter with the inspiration of the Holy Spirit didn't use the formula described by Jesus but the result is nearly the same. I find that formulas rarely work in saving people.

Muffled

Jesus in me
The Scripture is a direct quote. So how is baptism not in the name of Jesus? Because Peter, the inspired apostle, said it is. How are you getting a different answer?

I believe it is this verse:
Matt 28:19 Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,

Muffled

Jesus in me

I believe I have had people of a certain denomination say that meant the whole household would magically get saved without believing and that covers babies. However the verse does say "believe" and babies can't do that.

PS: It would be nice if my belief could save my household but that has not happened.

InChrist

Free4ever
I believe I have had people of a certain denomination say that meant the whole household would magically get saved without believing and that covers babies. However the verse does say "believe" and babies can't do that.

PS: It would be nice if my belief could save my household but that has not happened.
I agree, one must believe and have faith in Jesus Christ as their Savior to be saved. It’s a personal expression of faith everyone must decide and cannot be done for others.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I agree, one must believe and have faith in Jesus Christ as their Savior to be saved. It’s a personal expression of faith everyone must decide and cannot be done for others.
What about the many millions of people before Jesus' time, and also those today who couldn't even give us a basic concept of Jesus?

InChrist

Free4ever
What about the many millions of people before Jesus' time, and also those today who couldn't even give us a basic concept of Jesus?
I’d say God knows each person’s heart, mind and conscience and they are judged on what information they DO know and understand and whether or not they would have faith in Christ if they heard the gospel and had the opportunity.

For as many as have sinned without law will also perish without law, and as many as have sinned in the law will be judged by the law 13 (for not the hearers of the law are just in the sight of God, but the doers of the law will be justified; 14 for when Gentiles, who do not have the law, by nature do the things in the law, these, although not having the law, are a law to themselves, 15 who show the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness, and between themselves their thoughts accusing or else excusing them) 16 in the day when God will judge the secrets of men by Jesus Christ, according to my gospel.
Romans 2:12-16

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I’d say God knows each person’s heart, mind and conscience and they are judged on what information they DO know and understand and whether or not they would have faith in Christ if they heard the gospel and had the opportunity.
But how does the make sense in regards to the fact that Jesus lived a mere 2000 years ago and yet humankind goes back at least 5 million years? IOW, something's missing.

IMO, yes, I do believe it's important for us to believe as Christians but then we should drop any and all attempts to judge others, as Jesus taught.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Because repentance and baptism are responses to God’s salvific works, not initiators of such work. God always initiates, and we respond.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
I apologize. Being a writer, I will sometimes use my own images to clarify Biblical concepts. But yes, being put into the church, is being put into Christ, and it is achieved through baptism. Many people state that a person is saved and then baptized, but this clearly states otherwise.
You’re forgetting that Jesus was mostly talking to Jews, whom were already favored by God, that is, recipients of God’s grace. Therefore, baptism was a response for them when they had come to this different perspective Jesus was teaching. And in the early proto-church, gentiles had to convert to Judaism before joining the church. So, in the Biblical understanding, one was baptized into Christ — not into a saved state.

e.r.m.

Church of Christ
To be fair, Peter does not actually say that repentance and baptism are the only way to salvation. He just tells this particular audience to do these things.
He doesn't just say to do these things, he says "why" to do these things, for the forgiveness of your sins and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

Last edited:

exchemist

Veteran Member
He doesn't just like to do these things, he says "why" to do these things, for the forgiveness of your sins and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.
Sure. But he does not say these things are the only way to salvation, for everyone.

e.r.m.

Church of Christ
I believe there are many reasons, but that the biggest reason, is history. Justin Martyr as early as 130 A.D believed in baptism for the remission of sins formerly committed, just like it says in the Bible. It went from that to infant baptism & pouring and sprinkling, St. Augustine's original sin. The Reformation restored believer's baptism and added "other purposes" like a public confession (John Calvin), but then sometime between the reformation and the 1700s, they took out the purpose stated twice by Peter Acts 2:38-39, 1 Peter 3:21, and echoed by Justin Martyr soon after the Apostle John died.
Leaving baptism as only a public declaration, and in 1651 the purpose of "an act of obedience" was tacked on as well. People began putting greater importance to the messages coming off the pulpit than the scripture, and preachers foster that dependence.

Perfect example is Baptism as a public declaration of... and its several spin-offs (e.g. -publically identifying with Christ). Preachers who espouse this abomination do not even claim this is in the Bible. They give their "own" explanations, which may include the wedding ring analogy, on their own authority. The hearer doesn't ask if it's in the Bible, because attention is drawn away from the Bible toward said explanation.

Last edited:

e.r.m.

Church of Christ
Sure. But he does not say these things are the only way to salvation, for everyone.
Would he have to? Why would somebody go looking for another way after he has stated how? And didn't he say this is for everybody from now on?
Acts 2:38-39 Peter said to them, "Repent, and each of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins; and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. [39] For the promise is for you and your children and for all who are far off, as many as the Lord our God will call to Himself."