• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Memorization of scripture

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
Do you have any scripture memorized?

I figure memorization of scripture could be very spiritually strengthening. Do you agree?

I'm rereading the Dhammapada right now and am thinking I would like to commit it to memory. I could then meditate on it freely. I think I could have it memorized within a year if I am diligent about it.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I've never been drawn to memorization. Sometimes phrases will stick my mind but it's not something I seek to do.

As far as what's spiritually helpful, I think it's individual not a rule for all.

exchemist

Veteran Member

I figure memorization of scripture could be very spiritually strengthening. Do you agree?

I'm rereading the Dhammapada right now and am thinking I would like to commit it to memory. I could then meditate on it freely. I think I could have it memorized within a year if I am diligent about it.
Only the usual few passages that have been absorbed into the culture of Europe. Things like Vanitas vanitatis, omnia vanitas, love thy neighbour as thyself, judge not that ye be not judged, let him that is without sin cast the first stone, and so forth - more phrases than entire passages.

One issue is that there are so many translations, so there is no single definitive version to memorise.

Audie

Veteran Member

At Uni I did very little memorizing.

I would read something over, get the idea,
so I could explain it in my own words, and
I would have it.

If comprehension is the purpose of reading
memorizing is worse than useless.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I've often taught that knowing where to find information is every bit as effective as memorizing it.

Truth in love

I used to work on this a fair bit. It was helpful. At this point I don’t do much memorizing any more.

Exaltist Ethan

Bridging the Gap Between Believers and Skeptics
Given that I've invented a unique theology that doesn't have scripture, no. And honestly I find people to be disingenuous when they do and recite scripture all the time. If I did remember scripture I would remember the short obligatory Baha'i prayer, which for a short time I took extremely seriously. While I can't quote that prayer by heart anymore I know the general idea of it, and why it's important to Baha'is.

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member

I always remember this quote and wrote it by heart. There are two ways of memorising scripture by heart and by ‘heart’. Do you understand? When I read a scripture which I instantly fall in love with it goes straight into my heart and I remember it without trying to manually memorising it.

A man a conquer ten times ten thousand men in battle but he who conquers his own self is a true conquer’ (Dhammapada - the Thousands)

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
No. I wish I could at least remember some good Sanskrit and Urdu verses. They are loaded with meaning and it is such a delight to come across them. What I remember can be counted on fingers.

But memorizing scriptures in the correct way was and is just a part of traditional education. Remembering 700 verses of Gita was no big deal, but think of remembering and instant recapitulation of 10,600 verses in 1028 hymns of RigVeda (with proper pronunciation) takes many years of practice. The people who can do this were known as 'Dvivedis' (since hymns of RigVeda and SamaVeda are nearly the same). Those who could remember YajurVeda in addition to the two were known as 'Trivedis', and the 'ChaturVedis' remembered all the four Vedas by heart. We have a finely developed technique to do that. Vedic chant - Wikipedia

Memorizing is essential for scriptural debates that Hindus delight in. There are techniques to remember very long numbers and techniques to do quick calculations (now known as Vedic Mathematics). Then there are challenges. Like one stanza is spoken and the contestants are asked to complete the verse (happens in Urdu poetry also). Then there are competitions of creating extempore poetry. People who can do this are known as 'Ashu Kavis'.

Then deep knowledge of grammar. They have full command on words and the use of them. All this was and is a part of 'Shiksha' (Education), one of the six additional disciplines of Vedic studies.

DEV_9289.jpg

Last edited:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I have a few slokas memorised, and 2 astottarams. I also have a couple of quotes from the Tirukkural, and from my Gurus in mind for particular situations.

Memorisation, as Aup indicated, has a long history in India. It certainly is a useful tool for developing will.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Hundreds of thousands devotees can recite the 10,902 verses of Sri Ramacharit Manas of Sage Tulsi Das by heart (Ramayana in Awadhi, a local language), even if they do not speak Awadhi (it is just a bit different from Hindi and easily understood in North India, a beautiful poetic creation).
Awadh is the Lucknow area in Uttar Pradesh.

FredVB

There was a time when I was memorizing some scripture verses. I still remember some of the the way I learned it. But over time I found it much more useful to just know where in scriptures to find what things said in them are. More people I shared communication with did not need the passages cited to them, and I learn more to reason with them. Some are Christian, but some are of other beliefs, and some are atheists, and there are certainly cases where memorized scripture verses are not so helpful.

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
I've been spending time memorizing the Dhammapada. Still working on the first chapter. Still, I meditate on it while memorizing it. It makes me really think about what is being said and i am excited to keep memorizing further.