• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Membership qualifications

JDMS

Academic Workhorse
I'd love to just sit in front of a Shinto shrine. Is that considered okay? As a Hindu, I like to sit anywhere there is a peaceful vibration.

I googled. they're not common here in Canada, or unadvertised, but I did find one in Calgary, with a contact number. Maybe one day.

Of course :) you are welcome inside any shrine thats open to the public, which should be most.

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
What exactly does it take to become a member of your faith? I see great variance. When I say faith here, I also mean denomination or organisation, not just the religion (or non-religion, as there are atheist and secular organisations you can be a member of) . When you say, "I am a member of ________." what exactly does that entitle within the rules of that group? Also, is your definition of membership different from the organisation's definition? I see a lot of rather loose ideas, and I know that there is great variance. There is baptism, declarations, initiations, etc.

As a simple example, I am a member of the congregation that attends the temple I go to, but I'm not a member of the group that runs the temple, the group that has by-laws, hires staff, and can vote on decisions. So right there there are two distinct ideas. Of course some groups may not even have membership as some sort of legal idea.

I'm interested in the great diversity of this, and I think it might provide learning for many of us. Thoughts?

This is the basic requirement to become a Baha’i.

..the Universal House of Justice in a letter dated 10 February 1985 written on its behalf to an individual believer indicated that:

...recognition of the Manifestation of God and understanding of the obligation to obey His laws are the two basic prerequisites for membership in the Bahá'í community....

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
What exactly does it take to become a member of your faith?
To start with, Judaism doesn't proselytize. No one NEEDS to be a Jew. It is perfectly okay to be an ethical monotheist outside of Judaism.

There are two ways to have Jewish identity. The first is to be born of a Jewish mom. The second is to convert, and thus be adopted into the People. The conversion process involves a year or two of deep study of Jewish history, religion, culture, Hebrew language, etc. while living as a Jew, being tested by a Jewish tribunal, and immersion in a mikvah (moving water).For those coming out of another religion like Christianity, it includes disavowing all connection to that previous religion.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
This is the basic requirement to become a Baha’i.

..the Universal House of Justice in a letter dated 10 February 1985 written on its behalf to an individual believer indicated that:

...recognition of the Manifestation of God and understanding of the obligation to obey His laws are the two basic prerequisites for membership in the Bahá'í community....
Those are prerequisites. What are the requisites?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
To start with, Judaism doesn't proselytize. No one NEEDS to be a Jew. It is perfectly okay to be an ethical monotheist outside of Judaism.

There are two ways to have Jewish identity. The first is to be born of a Jewish mom. The second is to convert, and thus be adopted into the People. The conversion process involves a year or two of deep study of Jewish history, religion, culture, Hebrew language, etc. while living as a Jew, being tested by a Jewish tribunal, and immersion in a mikvah (moving water).For those coming out of another religion like Christianity, it includes disavowing all connection to that previous religion.
I like the last sentence, (far less confusion that way, and my little Hindu sampradaya follows that) and didn't know about the first part. Am I reading it correctly that only the Mother has to be Jewish, but not the father. I realise there aren't that many mixed marriages in the Jewish community, but I'm sure it's happened.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
What exactly does it take to become a member of your faith? I see great variance. When I say faith here, I also mean denomination or organisation, not just the religion (or non-religion, as there are atheist and secular organisations you can be a member of) . When you say, "I am a member of ________." what exactly does that entitle within the rules of that group? Also, is your definition of membership different from the organisation's definition? I see a lot of rather loose ideas, and I know that there is great variance. There is baptism, declarations, initiations, etc.

As a simple example, I am a member of the congregation that attends the temple I go to, but I'm not a member of the group that runs the temple, the group that has by-laws, hires staff, and can vote on decisions. So right there, there are two distinct ideas. Of course some groups may not even have membership as some sort of legal idea.

I'm interested in the great diversity of this, and I think it might provide learning for many of us. Thoughts?

The way we do it is "If Jesus Christ is your Lord and Savior, you are a member". No formal effort or signing of paper.

From there your level of connectivity is up to the individual.

We have a team mentality with authority given with responsibility. The general direction is done by the elders with the pastor as the senior elder.

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
Those are prerequisites. What are the requisites?

Basically acceptance of the Baha’i Covenant which includes the Bab, Baha’u’llah, Abdul-Baha, Shoghi Effendi and the Universal House of Justice. Laws and teachings.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
The way we do it is "If Jesus Christ is your Lord and Savior, you are a member". No formal effort or signing of paper.

From there your level of connectivity is up to the individual.

We have a team mentality with authority given with responsibility. The general direction is done by the elders with the pastor as the senior elder.

Thank you. That sounds pretty standard. How large is your congregation?

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I was raised Roman Catholic in an Italian-American family but I too just started believing and living as a Hindu …at least trying to live as one, I’m not vegetarian. Vegetarianism is not a requirement though it’s the ideal and highly encouraged.

There was no formal conversion process or ritual because Hinduism is really more a way of life than a religion. There are no requirements or dogmas. However, it’s a generally accepted condition that one accepts the validity of the Vedas as being apauruśeya, “not of human origin”. Some people say “the authority of the Vedas” but they are not laws or commandments. We don’t have those. We have examples of (im)proper and (a)dharmic behavior in our stories, as well as recommendations.

What was the question? :D

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
I like the last sentence, (far less confusion that way, and my little Hindu sampradaya follows that) and didn't know about the first part. Am I reading it correctly that only the Mother has to be Jewish, but not the father. I realise there aren't that many mixed marriages in the Jewish community, but I'm sure it's happened.
That is correct. Let's say the mother is Jewish and the father is not -- the child is 100% Jew. On the flip side, if the father is a Jew and the mother is not, the child is not a Jew at all. Mixed marriages are actually pretty common where I live.

syo

As a simple example, I am a member of the congregation that attends the temple I go to, but I'm not a member of the group that runs the temple, the group that has by-laws, hires staff, and can vote on decisions. So right there, there are two distinct ideas. Of course some groups may not even have membership as some sort of legal idea.

I'm omnist. Practically, everyone belongs to my religion. :D:)

Exaltist Ethan

Bridging the Gap Between Believers and Skeptics
In my most recent incarnation of faith I have decided to become what I call "Post-Baháʼí". In the way that I frame it, I believe that the Faith is helping us create the God we have learned to understand it. To be this, one has to be both Baháʼí and understand and practice exaltist theology. Since my two major religions are Baháʼí and Exaltism merging the two together seemed to make the most sense to me. I am still Baháʼí but I'm also more than that religion too. My journal Brain Droppings explains how I came up with this idea as a means to understand myself and my ideas in an easier fashion.

In a way everybody is creating God, the Manifestations just focus on the God part directly, whereas ordinary people create God through our divine abilities.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
That is correct. Let's say the mother is Jewish and the father is not -- the child is 100% Jew. On the flip side, if the father is a Jew and the mother is not, the child is not a Jew at all. Mixed marriages are actually pretty common where I live.
That's very cool, as so many groups go the patriarchal way. I learned something new today, and it was surprisingly refreshing. Thanks.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Of course :) you are welcome inside any shrine thats open to the public, which should be most.
The one I looked at had the symbol in your avatar all over the place. Quite likely I will make that phone call.

InvestigateTruth

In Bahai Faith it is simple. As long as a person declares he/she believes in Baha'u'llah, they can contact Bahai representatives in their town and get a membership card. Of course to keep membership, one needs to also follow some rules. For example they cannot drink alcohol in a Bahai gathering. (In their home, it is their own business).

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I think there may be quite a few people who declare themselves to be something, but when you look at the qualifications of that particular something, it would indicate that either the person doesn't understand what it actually entails, or they simple want to be a member of it. Anyone can say anything.

Exaltist Ethan

Bridging the Gap Between Believers and Skeptics
I think there may be quite a few people who declare themselves to be something, but when you look at the qualifications of that particular something, it would indicate that either the person doesn't understand what it actually entails, or they simple want to be a member of it. Anyone can say anything.

Some people do it for the jokes. :)

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
So this card I keep hearing about doesn't exist?

It’s not universal. I think mainly in western countries. My wife and I have a plastic card with information on who to contact for Baha’i funeral laws. In Myanmar they don’t have such a thing yet. So there is a card one signs in some countries but not in all. I think it’s up to the National administration how they deal with membership. But I think having a Baha’i ID is used for things like conferences.