• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Melchizedek: Psalm 110:4 and its Discontents

Vouthon

Dominus Deus tuus ignis consumens est
Staff member
Premium Member
This post consists of my own personal reflections on what I find to be a particularly fascinating but perplexing expression in Psalm 110:4. I welcome the opinions of other interested posters on how the text is best interpreted:

al dibratiy malki-sedeq

אתה כהן לעולם על דברתי מלכי צדק​

This rare Hebraic idiom - ‘dibratiy’ - is found here in Psalm 110:4b and (in its absolute state dibrah) in but a few other verses of the Tanakh (see: (Job 5:8), (Psalm 110:4), (Ecclesiastes 7:14),(Daniel 2:30), (Daniel 4:17)). Its paucity of references makes it a notably challenging word to translate.

For such a rare and seemingly puzzling expression, it has, however- mediated through its subsequent and widely dispersed translations into Greek as τάξις (kala ten taxin "an arrangement or grouping of people appointed for a purpose" in the LXX), Latin as ordinem ('order' in the Vulgate) and Syriac as badmuteh ('likeness of' in the Peshetta) - proved to be enormously influential; with a very long and controversial 'afterlife' in later Patristic and Rabbinic exegesis.

This is particularly so in a Christian context, owing to its citation from the Greek septuagintal version by the author of the Epistle to the Hebrews (70 - 100 CE) in the New Testament. His quotation from the LXX in Hebrews 7 shapes the epicentre of a critical theological argument, which can be read as a kind of midrash on Genesis 14:18-20 and Psalm 110, in which the anonymous author declares Jesus Christ to be a “a priest forever after the manner of Melchizedek(Hebrews 7:17).

Indeed, it is said that no Psalm has been more frequently cited by the authors of the New Testament than this one.

The entire psalm, however, abounds in textual and exegetical problems (as numerous scholars have noted, including KRAUS 1960:752-764; HORTON 1976: 23-34; FITZMEYER 2001) and not merely in verse 4, although that is the focus of this discussion.

It is exceedingly difficult to figure out the identity of the person we - as the readers or listeners - are meant to understand as the speaker and his addressee: (a) is it someone referring to David or to a Davidic ruler? (b) Is it David himself referring to another predecessor as his 'lord', such as Abraham, or to a future successor as his 'lord' (i.e. Messianic)? (c) Should "malki-sedeq" even be interpreted as a personal name at all or, rather, as an epithet (literally "righteous king")?

In terms of the last question, there seems to be a consensus among contemporary scholars in favour of it being a proper noun and personal name - Melchizedek - as the most plausible inference, so I will proceed with that as an assumption.

But as concerns (a) and (b), Christians - taking their interpretative cue from the New Testament - have almost universally understood the text in light of a traditional messianic paradigm. Jewish exegetes, on the other hand, have apparently entertained the Davidic (i.e. Rashi, Gershonides), Abrahamic (Nedarim 32a) and Messianic (Avot of Rabbi Natan (34:6)) exegeses.

Recent scholarship tends to situate the psalm in the context of early Israelite kingship (M. GILBERT & S. PISANO, Bib 61 356). According to this modern exegesis, it contains two 'oracles' addressed to a king-to-be (presumably by a prophet) in verses 1 and 4. The former is a kind of enthronement-formulae which promises divine sanction for the new ruler; the latter, introduced by a divine oath, declares this same individual to be a 'priest' forever......and this is where the vexing phrase above comes in.

There's a somewhat similar phrase "priest forever" or parallel usage of such a saying in 1 Maccabees 14:41: "The Jews and their priests have resolved that Simon should be their leader and high priest forever", which may be an attempt by the pro-Maccabean dynastic historian to allude to the language of the psalm for the newly independent theocracy.

I am fairly certain that the saying refers (as does the aforementioned) to a proper cultic, priestly person who is at once also a 'ruler'.

I would thus have to disagree, albeit respectfully, with Rashi's hypothesis that kohen in this psalm may refer to a merely ministerial, statist role without any sacral connotations. His argument by way of 2 Sam. 8:18, where sons of David are described as having been appointed as 'priests' (kohanim) by their father, does not seem persuasive to me. Although the Mishnah and Talmud, presuppose that all references to Israelite priests in biblical literature should be understood as implying Aaronide priests, modern scholarship using the historical-critical method has significantly complicated this traditional account.

In this respect, Professor Mark Leuchter in an article for thetorah.com has argued that: "the biblical text mentions multiple priestly families, some of whom are not Aaronide", amongst whom he includes the 'sons of David' in 2 Samuel; in addition to a term in Deuteronomy seemingly equating all Levites with priests (“levitical priests") and not just the direct descendants of Aaron; evidence of a class of 'Mush-ite priests' (Judges 18:30) in the pre-exilic period which could explain the priestly lineage of Eli, the priest of Shiloh and the Zadokites (Ezekiel 40:46) (2 Samuel 8:17), which Saul M. Olyan (“Zadok’s Origins and the Tribal Politics of David,” Journal of Biblical Literature 101 (1982)) understands as originally consisting of "a priestly family that served in Judah, David’s own tribe", only subsequently re-cast as Aaronides from Ezra 7 on.

With this in mind, I personally think the 'sons of David' were literally assigned as priests in 2 Samuel - this text alluding to a time when "priestly status was not hereditary, and was more permeable and fluid, a hallmark of early Israelite social conditions", to quote Leuchter.

In the Talmud (b. Nedarim 32b), as noted in passing earlier on, Rabbi Zechariah and Rabbi Ishmael conduct a remarkable exegesis on Psalm 110, whereby they interpret the key line "You are a priest forever" as an address to Abraham and as meaning that Melchizedek's priesthood is superseded by Abraham and consequently by that of his seed or progeny in the form of Levi.

They conclude thusly, on the understanding that even though Melchizedek was first priest referred to as a priest in the Torah that he disappointed God when he blessed Abraham before blessing God, and that God accordingly transferred the priesthood from his descendants to the descendants of Abraham. In this interpretation, the 'you are a priest forever' refers less to an individual priest-ruler (as in 1 Maccabees 14:41) as it does to the idea that there will always be a descendant of Abraham ready to take up the functions of the Aaronic priestly office.

I think this is a bold and exegetically brilliant interpretation of this challenging text, however I'm not sure that I am personally convinced by Rabbi Ishmael's linguistic argument, namely:

"Immediately [the priesthood] was given to Abraham, as it is said, ‘the word of the LORD to my lord: sit and my right hand until I make your enemies your footstool.’ Afterward it is written, ‘The LORD hath sworn, and will not repent: “Thou art a priest for ever after the manner (dibrati) of Melchizedek.”’ After the utterance (dibburo) of Melchizedek." (b. Nedarim 32b)​

Using the Mishnaic Hebrew translation of the Biblical דִּבְרָתִי dibratiy and דּבְרֵי dibrey, Rabbi Ishmael appears to make a (intentional or unintentional?) misreading, in which he takes the word dibratiy (order of) and renders it as if it were a different word sharing the same root (ד.ב.ר (d.b.r)) - namely, dibrey (the words of).

No, since they share a common root, dibratiy and dibrey share a close semantic relationship which - according to a professional linguist I consulted - "in unpointed Hebrew would differ only in one consonant (ת t): דברתי (dbrty) vs דברי (dbry)".

He explained to me that roots by themselves have no syntactic meaning in Hebrew but they often share the same consonant sequence with words which are derived from the root. For example, דבר (d.b.r) as it is ordinarily written without vowels can be interpreted as דָּבָר dābār (word), with context determining meaning. The root ‘d.b.r’ thus only becomes ‘word’ when given as דָּבָר. Otherwise it is just a 'root' without syntactic meaning in itself.

In terms of consonant sequence, there seem to be two ancient roots with these three same consonants with hugely disparate meanings when applied in context with suffixes. Examples include:

– dabar (davar) – word, speaking, speech, thing, matter etc.
– deber – pestilence
– dober – pasture
– dobrot – floats, rafts
– dibra – cause, reason, manner, succession, ORDER
– dǝborah – bee
– dǝvir – I oracle, II a city in Judah
– midbar – wilderness.

(continued....)

Last edited:

Vouthon

Staff member
Premium Member
From what I can tell, the only logic linking phenomenons as disparate as 'speech', 'things', 'pestilence,' 'pastures', 'succession', 'bees' and 'wildernesses' is that they all describe a specific “order” of things.

'Words' form part of an ordered arrangement of vocalizations that strung together form coherent sentences. 'Bees' - most obviously - form part of a highly ordered, hierarchical 'hive' under a queen bee and I'm sure this must have been understood in ancient times, as today. Pastures are plots of land 'arranged' by farmers to graze cattle. 'Wildernesses' - contrary to what one might imagine today - are ecosystems where entities exist as part of a larger system.

The common logic underpinning these consonant sequences sharing a common root, all have to do with different "arrangements" of "things" (from words to cattle-grazing to lineal succession i.e. one arranged so as to come after another like, or with the authority, of a predecessor).

It is not immediately apparent to my mind dibratiy should be synonymous with the different word dibrey simply because they share a common root.

Moreover, the Abrahamic exegesis does not fit with the "royal" interpretation that both the majority of contemporary scholars and I myself favour (for the evidence cited above). In addition, while I admire the skill employed in their exegesis, I cannot personally concur with the exegesis of Genesis 14 as implying that Melchizedek has 'lost' his priesthood to Abraham. In the text as we have it, understood on its own merits, I just don't see this, with the text to me clearly showing Melchizedek as the 'priest' and with no hints as to him losing this status when the tithes are given over.

The "tenth of all" given as tithe (Genesis 14:19) is described in the ancient Second Temple texts that I could find as having been given by Abraham to Melchizedek: "Abraham give him a tithe of all the goods of the king of Elam and his companions" (Genesis Apochryphon from Qumran Cave 1); Philo says that Abraham "dedicated the tithes to him as a thank-offering for his victory"; while Josephus likewise writes that Abraham offered Melchizedek "the title of the plunder" (Antiquities 1.181).

Since Melchizedek is the priest who accepts tithes from Abraham and bestows a divine blessing, I see no rationale in the text of Genesis itself for regarding Melchizedek as humbling himself before Abraham and being deprived of his priesthood. The text seems quite clear, as the ancient commentators I referenced above understood, that Abraham is in the more suppliant position, offering Melchizedek the 'plunder' in return for a blessing from God.

Rabbi Joshua Garroway penned an interesting article on thetorah.com in which he noted:

Who Assumed Melchizedek’s Priesthood? - TheTorah.com

Melchizedek appears but twice in the Tanakh, in Gen. 14:18-20 and Psalm 110:4...

Melchizedek, the hoary king of Salem—that is, Jerusalem—blesses the patriarch whose descendent, David, will one day make that city his capital.

Others say it is David’s priest, Zadok, who finds legitimation through Melchizedek.[5] On this reading, Zadok was the Jebusite cult leader in Jerusalem whom David, following his conquest of the city, appointed over the Israelite cult. A biblical editor foreshadows David’s endorsement of a non-Israelite priest by showing Abraham pay a tithe to a non-Israelite priest, Melchizedek, who presides over a cult in (Jeru)salem dedicated to “God, the Most High” (Gen. 14:18).

Either interpretation might account for the other biblical appearance of Melchizedek, in Psalm 110:4:

תהלים קי:ד נִשְׁבַּע יְ-הוָה וְלֹא יִנָּחֵם אַתָּה כֹהֵן לְעוֹלָם עַל דִּבְרָתִי מַלְכִּי צֶדֶק. Ps 110:4 YHWH has sworn and will not relent, “You are a priest forever, after the manner of Melchizedek.”[6]

This royal psalm praises someone as a priest like Melchizedek, but whom? Is David here hailed by God as possessing priestly responsibilities? David is said on occasion to have offered up sacrifices (2 Sam. 6:13, 17-18; 24:25; 1 Kings 3:4, 15). Or is God validating David’s selection of Zadok by likening him to the paradigmatic non-Israelite priest of yore? Or is this psalm addressed to a later king or high priest in Judah?

The limitations of the evidence preclude a consensus, and thus the biblical Melchizedek remains elusive. Later traditions will nevertheless exploit this bit player to serve their own theological aims.

Defrocking the Kohanim – Early Christian Interpretation

For early Christians who considered Christ to be the latest and greatest high priest, such as the author of the anonymous New Testament treatise known as the Epistle to the Hebrews(ca. 100 ce), Melchizedek provided the perfect precedent.[7] According to Hebrews, Jesus is the archetype—the ideal Platonic form—of all things biblical. To borrow a line from Annie Get Your Gun, the theme of Hebrews seems to be “anything Jews can do, Christ can do better.” Jews have angels, but Jesus is superior to all angels. Jews have prophets, but Jesus surpasses even Moses. Jesus represents a better covenant, a better tabernacle, a better sacrifice, and yes, a better high priest than Judaism provides.

Identifying Jesus as the ultimate high priest is fraught with problems, however. Jesus was thought by Christians to have descended from David, a Judahite. Not being a Levite, how could Jesus be the ideal and eternal high priest for the God of Israel?

Enter Melchizedek. The author of Hebrews latches on to the mysterious king of Salem and acclaims him as the founder of an archetypal priesthood fulfilled by Jesus:

Melchizedek thus inaugurated a priesthood superior to the one later awarded to the Levites. Levitical priests are mortal, while Melchizedek, seeing as neither his parents nor his death are recorded, must be immortal. Abraham recognized the superiority of Melchizedek’s priesthood when he paid him a tithe and received a blessing as his subordinate. The coup de grace is the claim that Levi, inasmuch as he was in Abraham’s loins, also offered a tithe to Melchizedek.

The Levitical priesthood, which offers inferior sacrifices by mortal priests, is thereby defrocked by the author of Hebrews. Jesus, the eternal priest “after the order of Melchizedek,” offers the perfect once-and-for-all sacrifice, himself.

Defrocking a Priest – Rabbinic Interpretation

The rabbis, in contrast, were hardly looking to legitimize an alternative priestly line. To them, Melchizedek threatened the exclusivity of the Levitical priesthood. By no means did they consider Melchizedek inimical. He is identified with Noah’s son, Shem, and is said to have composed psalms, taught torah to Abraham, and helped God to name Jerusalem.[8] The rabbis, however, simply could not countenance the idea that this non-Levite is called a priest of God the Most High—and in Jerusalem, no less! The Torah later insists that God’s priesthood belongs perpetually to the descendants of Levi through Aaron, so how can there be an eternal priestly order through Melchizedek?

The issue is resolved in the Talmud (b. Nedarim 32b):

According to Rabbi Ishmael, Psalm 110 was spoken by God to Abraham at the time of his encounter with Melchizedek. God indeed appointed Melchizedek the first priest, but God became disappointed with him when he blessed Abraham before blessing God, and therefore punished him by transferring the priesthood from his descendants to the descendants of Abraham. Psalm 110 therefore opens with God relegating Melchizedek to be Abraham’s footstool.

God goes on to call Abraham “a priest forever” on account of Melchizedek’s rash utterance, an interpretation made possible by a clever misreading of the phrase עַל דִּבְרָתִי. The word dibrati is read as if it were a different word with the same root, dibburo, such that Psalm 110 has God say “You are a priest forever after the utterance of Melchizedek.” In other words, “You, Abraham, have become a priest because of what Melchizedek mistakenly said.” The coup de grace in this reinterpretation comes when Rabbi Ishmael notes that Gen. 14:18 can be read in a limited sense: yes, Melchizedek was a priest, but it does not say that his descendants would also be priests.

Thus, the Talmud is able to have its cake and eat it too. Melchizedek can be a priest, even the first priest, just as the Torah says, but the right to the priesthood thereafter is limited to the descendants of Abraham through Levi and Aaron.

Rabbi Garroway discerns possible partisan bias in both the Christian - trying to provide a non-Levite, eternal high priestly status for Jesus as a descendant of Judah - and the Rabbinic - in wanting to clamp down upon Christian misappropriation of a Gentile Melchizedek who is the earliest recorded priest in the Tanakh and appears to receive tithes from Abraham in return for a blessing and is somehow related to the idea of a priesthood without end - interpretations of these texts.

But as to what the text itself is actually saying....I'm not sure myself, although my inclination is that dibratiy still has something to do with some specific arrangement, such as a priestly-ruler (like David's sons and Simon Maccabee much later on) succeeding in the manner of Melchizedek to a priesthood that lasts forever through his descendants or in another fashion (i.e. one arranged so as to come after another like, or with the authority, of a predecessor).

But I could very well be completely wrong (and likely am), its just my opinion and it likely evidences my particular bias in interpretation as well!

Last edited:

Tumah

Veteran Member
Given the similarity of the phrase "priest forever" to parallel usage of such a saying in 1 Maccabees 14:41: "The Jews and their priests have resolved that Simon should be their leader and high priest forever", which appears to be an attempt by the pro-Maccabean dynastic historian to appropriate the language of the psalm for the newly independent theocracy, I am fairly certain that the saying refers (as does the aforementioned) to a proper cultic, temple priest who is at once also a 'ruler', and that this was (one may so deduce) likely a common way of interpreting the text amongst Jews of the Second Temple period, as referring to a sort of dual priest-ruler.
Considering the remainder of your post, I find it odd that you rely on the fairly weak position that because a certain phrase is found in two places there can only be one conclusion. Here are some other possibilities:
- The pro-Maccabean author was doing something not the common way of interpreting the text in order to promote a Priestly theocracy.
- The book of Maccabees was translated by early Christians and translated in such a way as to provide precedence for a later priestly theocracy they wanted to advance. (As a side note, I'm not sure what the Greek word means, but I see that a Hebrew translation of the Greek says, "all his days", not forever)
- Perhaps the parallel was unintended and simply a way of making grand statements of appointment.​

In this respect, Professor Mark Leuchter in an article for thetorah.com has argued that: "the biblical text mentions multiple priestly families, some of whom are not Aaronide", amongst whom he includes the 'sons of David' in 2 Samuel;
See below.

in addition to a term in Deuteronomy seemingly equating all Levites with priests (“levitical priests") and not just the direct descendants of Aaron;
The phrase seems to do just the opposite: equate all Priests with Levites. It doesn't say Priestly Levites, it says Levitical Priests. Which makes sense since that was there tribal affiliation.

evidence of a class of 'Mu****e priests' (Judges 18:30) in the pre-exilic period
This is really odd. The verse is describing people from the tribe of Dan that were made priests to an idol. Is that meant to be evidence that Torah-abiding Israel saw the priesthood as fluid?

which could explain the priestly lineage of Eli, the priest of Shiloh and the Zadokites (Ezekiel 40:46) (2 Samuel 8:17), which Saul M. Olyan (“Zadok’s Origins and the Tribal Politics of David,” Journal of Biblical Literature 101 (1982)) understands as originally consisting of "a priestly family that served in Judah, David’s own tribe", only subsequently re-cast as Aaronides from Ezra 7 on.
I don't understand what is being said here at all.

I would thus have to disagree, albeit respectfully, with Rashi's hypothesis that kohen in this psalm may refer to a merely ministerial, statist role without any sacral connotations. His argument by way of 2 Sam. 8:18, where sons of David are described as having been appointed as 'priests' (kohanim) by their father, does not seem persuasive to me.
Rashi very infrequently provides his own arguments, but is usually quoting or paraphrasing other texts. In this case, see 1 Chron. 18:17 for an identical text where the sons of David are described having a ministerial rather than priestly position.

Using the Mishnaic Hebrew translation of the Biblical דִּבְרָתִי dibratiy and דּבְרֵי dibrey, Rabbi Ishmael appears to make a (intentional or unintentional?) misreading, in which he takes the word dibratiy (order of) and renders it as if it were a different word sharing the same root (ד.ב.ר (d.b.r)) - namely, dibrey (the words of).
I'm not sure why you missed the interpretation here, considering you cited Rashi earlier on. The reading here understand the last letter yod to be superfluous. The superfluous yod is also found in Lam. 1:1 רבתי עם...רבתי בגויים rabatiy 'am...rabatiy bagoyim "abound [with] people ... abound with nation". The yod serves no purpose there and is ignored in translation. Here also, the yod is understood to serve no purpose and is attached to the word "speak" in its construct state "the speakings of Melchizedek".

– dibra – cause, reason, manner, succession, ORDER
I would like to see some examples of where the word means these things and is not actually just a better way in English of explaining a verse where the literal meaning would be "thing/matter".

The rabbis, in contrast, were hardly looking to legitimize an alternative priestly line. To them, Melchizedek threatened the exclusivity of the Levitical priesthood.
The priesthood isn't Levitical according to the Rabbis, it's Aaronical. I don't see any reason why the Rabbis (who were mostly not Levites) would have a problem accepting Phineas as a Priest but not an individual who lived before the Torah was given as a priest. The Rabbis are pretty clear on the fact that before the Torah Law was given, things didn't work as it did post-Torah. This is true of the Priesthood itself which at one time even stood in the hands of Esau! So I don't really see a problem with Melchizedek being a Priest. If anything, the Rabbinic interpretation answers the question: What happened to that line that after Melchizedek there's never mention of it again?

There's no rationalization given for the argument either. Jacob marries two (or possibly even four) sisters. They're fine with that. The entire Israelite nation descend from incest between the tribes and their sisters. No problem. The kingly archetype and forefather of the Messiah, David, is the child of a man who wanted to sleep with his slave, but his ex-wife jumped in? :thumbsup: There might be a non-Levitical priest 400 years before there were Levites? NO!
Why?

The Anointed

Considering the remainder of your post, I find it odd that you rely on the fairly weak position that because a certain phrase is found in two places there can only be one conclusion. Here are some other possibilities:
- The pro-Maccabean author was doing something not the common way of interpreting the text in order to promote a Priestly theocracy.
- The book of Maccabees was translated by early Christians and translated in such a way as to provide precedence for a later priestly theocracy they wanted to advance. (As a side note, I'm not sure what the Greek word means, but I see that a Hebrew translation of the Greek says, "all his days", not forever)
- Perhaps the parallel was unintended and simply a way of making grand statements of appointment.​

See below.

The phrase seems to do just the opposite: equate all Priests with Levites. It doesn't say Priestly Levites, it says Levitical Priests. Which makes sense since that was there tribal affiliation.

This is really odd. The verse is describing people from the tribe of Dan that were made priests to an idol. Is that meant to be evidence that Torah-abiding Israel saw the priesthood as fluid?

I don't understand what is being said here at all.

Rashi very infrequently provides his own arguments, but is usually quoting or paraphrasing other texts. In this case, see 1 Chron. 18:17 for an identical text where the sons of David are described having a ministerial rather than priestly position.

I'm not sure why you missed the interpretation here, considering you cited Rashi earlier on. The reading here understand the last letter yod to be superfluous. The superfluous yod is also found in Lam. 1:1 רבתי עם...רבתי בגויים rabatiy 'am...rabatiy bagoyim "abound [with] people ... abound with nation". The yod serves no purpose there and is ignored in translation. Here also, the yod is understood to serve no purpose and is attached to the word "speak" in its construct state "the speakings of Melchizedek".

I would like to see some examples of where the word means these things and is not actually just a better way in English of explaining a verse where the literal meaning would be "thing/matter".

The priesthood isn't Levitical according to the Rabbis, it's Aaronical. I don't see any reason why the Rabbis (who were mostly not Levites) would have a problem accepting Phineas as a Priest but not an individual who lived before the Torah was given as a priest. The Rabbis are pretty clear on the fact that before the Torah Law was given, things didn't work as it did post-Torah. This is true of the Priesthood itself which at one time even stood in the hands of Esau! So I don't really see a problem with Melchizedek being a Priest. If anything, the Rabbinic interpretation answers the question: What happened to that line that after Melchizedek there's never mention of it again?

There's no rationalization given for the argument either. Jacob marries two (or possibly even four) sisters. They're fine with that. The entire Israelite nation descend from incest between the tribes and their sisters. No problem. The kingly archetype and forefather of the Messiah, David, is the child of a man who wanted to sleep with his slave, but his ex-wife jumped in? :thumbsup: There might be a non-Levitical priest 400 years before there were Levites? NO!
Why?

Jesus, our high priest, now lives a life that has no end, He has been made High priest in the order of Melchizedek all his days which have no end.

Jesus, was the descendant of Nathan, the son of Bathsheba and Uriah the Hittite. Uriah became a member of the tribe of Levi by his marriage to Bathsheba the daughter of Ammiel, the son of Oded-Edom, who was a descendant of Moses from the house of Levi, by his second wife Jepunniah, an Ethiopian woman, [See Numbers 12: 1; KJV] who was the widow of a man from the tribe of Judah, and the mother of Caleb, who, at the age of forty, became the adopted son of Moses, and Jepunniah was the daughter of Hobab the Kennite, one of the two fathers-in-law to Moses, [See Judges 4: 11.]

The Talmud states, "Whoever brings up an orphan in his home is regarded...as though the child had been born to him." (Sanhedrin 119b).” In other words, the adopted child is to be treated as a child born to the father of that house, which means, that Heli and his descendants, who were born from the genetic line of Nathan who was the adopted son of King David, were legitimate heirs to King David, but not to the throne of Israel, as the prophesied Messiah had to come through the genetic line of Solomon.

Uriah became a member of the tribe of Levi by his marriage to Bathsheba the daughter of Ammiel, the son of Oded-Edom, who was a descendant of Moses from the house of Levi, by his second wife Jepunniah, an Ethiopian woman, [See Numbers 12: 1; KJV] who was the widow of a man from the tribe of Judah, and the mother of Caleb, who, at the age of forty, became the adopted son of Moses, and Jepunniah was the daughter of Hobab the Kennite, one of the two fathers-in-law to Moses, [See Judges 4: 11.]

The Talmud states, "Whoever brings up an orphan in his home is regarded...as though the child had been born to him." (Sanhedrin 119b).” In other words, the adopted child is to be treated as a child born to the father of that house, which means, that Heli and his descendants, who were born from the genetic line of Nathan ‘the prophet,’ who was the adopted son of King David, were legitimate heirs to King David, but not to the throne of Israel, as the prophesied Messiah had to come through the genetic line of Solomon.

Moses the great ancestor to Jesus, was to be seen as God to Aaron. See Exodus 4: 16.

Last edited:

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
There's a somewhat similar phrase "priest forever" or parallel usage of such a saying in 1 Maccabees 14:41: "The Jews and their priests have resolved that Simon should be their leader and high priest forever", which may be an attempt by the pro-Maccabean dynastic historian to allude to the language of the psalm for the newly independent theocracy.
Although clearly they never meant for it to be "forever", as the rest of the verse makes clear - until a true prophet comes.
@Tumah, near as I could figure, using google translate on the Greek verse, the word used is "Aiona" which means century. Some more info: Strong's Greek: 165. αἰών (aión) -- a space of time, an age

@Vouthon, have you considered the possibility that kingship/leadership is connected to priesthood in a more metaphorical sense?
In Exo. 19 it says:

"and ye shall be unto Me a kingdom of priests, and a holy nation. These are the words which thou shalt speak unto the children of Israel.'" (19:6)

and then:

"And the LORD said unto him: 'Go, get thee down, and thou shalt come up, thou, and Aaron with thee; but let not the priests and the people break through to come up unto the LORD, lest He break forth upon them.'" (19:24)

Priests had not yet been chosen at this point in time, so who are the priests? If all are supposedly priests, as suggested in verse 6, who are these specific people called 'priests'?

The Jewish interpretation is that these early priests were the first-born of every family - the leaders of the family.
But even per this interpretation, not all of Israel are priests, so what is the meaning of "kingdom of priests", which seems to suggest all are priests? I suggest that it means that in some connotations, 'priest' simply means leader. Holy leader, certainly, but not necessarily the guy that's in charge of the day-to-day duties of the Temple.

Tumah

Veteran Member
Jesus, our high priest, now lives a life that has no end, He has been made High priest in the order of Melchizedek all his days which have no end.
Well there you go then.

Jesus, was the descendant of Nathan, the son of Bathsheba and Uriah the Hittite.
They had no known children.

Uriah became a member of the tribe of Levi by his marriage to Bathsheba the daughter of Ammiel, the son of Oded-Edom
No he didn't.

who was a descendant of Moses from the house of Levi, by his second wife Jepunniah, an Ethiopian woman, [See Numbers 12: 1; KJV] who was the widow of a man from the tribe of Judah, and the mother of Caleb, who, at the age of forty, became the adopted son of Moses, and Jepunniah was the daughter of Hobab the Kennite, one of the two fathers-in-law to Moses, [See Judges 4: 11.]
What a mess.

The Talmud states, "Whoever brings up an orphan in his home is regarded...as though the child had been born to him." (Sanhedrin 119b).” In other words, the adopted child is to be treated as a child born to the father of that house, which means, that Heli and his descendants, who were born from the genetic line of Nathan who was the adopted son of King David, were legitimate heirs to King David, but not to the throne of Israel, as the prophesied Messiah had to come through the genetic line of Solomon.
No, that's not what the Talmud means. An adopted son does not naturally inherit from his father in Jewish Law.

Vouthon

Staff member
Premium Member
Although clearly they never meant for it to be "forever", as the rest of the verse makes clear - until a true prophet comes.

Agreed, "forever" can simply be a hyperbolic way of implying to the end of an age or aeon (in Greek), but certainly for an exceedingly lengthy time in ordinary human terms. In Early Christianity the term translated "forever" often refers to the end of an age - namely the present age before the second coming, the eschaton, for example, which effectively means all of human history and sets no real limit as to time.

In this case, the age in question could imply something similar vis-a-vis the close of the prophetic epoch and it's expected dawn again in a distant or unspecified/unknown time in the future.

My allusion to this Maccabean verse was simply because I view it as expressing quite a substantially similar concept to the idea presented in Psalm 110, of a priestly-ruler with a reign that lasts forever/till end of age.

Modern scholars now tend to believe that while priest-rulership - common in surrounding cultures - is extremely rare in the Tanakh, that in the very early Israelite tradition they could - as evidenced by David's sons - perform a priestly role and the Maccabees obviously revived this ancient theocratic model and were looking for biblical evidence to back it up.

That the Maccabees in fact did use this Psalm in their royal propaganda is inferred by some scholars from the elevation of Melchizedek in the Qumran texts into this heavenly divine judge figure, as Rabbi Garroway notes:

Who Assumed Melchizedek’s Priesthood? - TheTorah.com

Writing before either the Christians or the rabbis, the community represented by the Dead Sea Scrolls appears to have taken little interest in Melchizedek’s priesthood even as they wrote extensively about him. Among the Scrolls is a midrashic treatise (11Q13) in which the role of Melchizedek is so prominent that scholars named it after him: 11QMelchizedek. This text marshals verses from Isaiah, Daniel, Psalms, and other biblical books in portraying an eschatological period of judgment and redemption featuring Melchizedek, not as a priest, but as an angelic judge and redeemer at the end of time (11QMelch II:13-18)

While the exaltation of Melchizedek in the Scrolls is typically attributed to the Qumranites’ interest in mysterious biblical figures or to what might be understood as the heavenly office afforded the unnamed addressee of Psalm 110 (e.g., “YHWH is at your right hand”), one intriguing proposal holds that the Dead Sea sect was actually reacting to the deployment of Melchizedek in the royal propaganda of the Maccabean dynasty.[11] Simon Maccabeus, the brother of Judah, had himself declared high priest in 141 BCE despite lacking a Zadokite pedigree. His grandsons, Judah Aristobulus and Alexander Jannaeus, took the title “king” despite lacking a Davidic pedigree. A few sources hint that these Hasmonean rulers might have capitalized on the mysterious priest-king of Salem in order to justify their acquisition of titles for which they did not qualify.[12]

Unable to proclaim themselves Zadokite high priests or Davidic kings, perhaps they presented themselves as priests and/or kings “after the order of Melchizedek.” Indeed, one scholar has even proposed that Psalm 110 is of Maccabean vintage, composed by the ruling family to validate its claim to the priesthood.[13] Tantalizing is the possibility that the first letters from the first four lines are meant to form an acrostic spelling out the name “Simon,” shimon.

Admittedly, few scholars consider Psalm 110 Maccabean propaganda. Even if the psalm was produced centuries earlier, however, it is still possible that the Maccabees adduced this psalm, as well as the Melchizedek episode in Gen. 14:18-20, to provide historical precedent for their usurpation. Certainly it provides a reasonable scenario to explain why the Dead Sea sect, staunch opponents of the Maccabees, themselves embraced the figure of Melchizedek and turned him into a hero suited to their own aspirations.

In terms of priesthood though, we know from both Genesis itself and later midrashic literature that all agree Melchizedek was a real cultic priest to God and indeed the first in the Torah so described. Thus, in this sense when we read that the ruler in Psalm 110 is described as a priest somehow in relation to Melchizedek, I personally think we are bound to conclude that if he really does succeed or attain this station as a consequence of Melchizedek, that it is a real priestly status of some kind (akin to that exercised by the likes of Simon Maccabee), because Melchizedek is an odd figure to rely upon then for the analogy (as both King of Salem, Jerusalem, and cultic priest of God Most High according to Genesis, in other words a priest-ruler just like the addresse in Psalm 110).

Your allusion to the "kingdom of priests" verse is very useful, though. I will look myself at the verse in question (and do some surrounding research on its context and scholarship on it) and get back to you on it when I get the chance, to form my own assessment of what the text is getting at there with this phrase. Thanks!

Last edited:

The Anointed

Well there you go then.

No he didn't.

What a mess.

No, that's not what the Talmud means. An adopted son does not naturally inherit from his father in Jewish Law.
Well there you go then.

No he didn't.

What a mess.

Don’t you believe that Jesus who has been made high priest in the order of Melchezidek, now lives a life that has no end?

If Bathsheba and Uriah had no children, and Solomon, the second child born to David after the first child born from their adulterous act had died, and Solomon was the youngest of Bathsheba’s four sons, who was the biological father of Shimea, Shobab and Nathan the three older brothers of Solomon?

Caleb belonged to the tribe of Judah, see Numbers 13: 6; but Caleb was the son of Jephunneh the Kenezite see Numbers 13: 6. How can a Kenite ‘MALE’ be a member of the tribe of Judah?

The Kenezites are descendants of Cush, as are the Kenites, it was a Cu****e woman who Moses married that had upset Miriam and Aaron.

Judges 4: 11; states that Hobab the Kenite is the Father-in-law to Moses as was Jethro the Midianite, who was the father of Zipporah the first wife of Moses.

Chathan is the Hebrew for “WIFE’S FATHER’ as seen in Judges 4: 11. See Young’s analytical concordance.

Caleb is the son of Jephunneh the Kenezite, the widow of a man from the tribe of Judah.

And the Talmud states, Whoever brings up an orphan in his home is regarded as though the child had been born to him (Sanhedrin 119b) whether you like it or not sunshine. And a Child that is regarded to have been born of the Father of that house, is entitled to inherit from his Father.

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
Caleb belonged to the tribe of Judah, see Numbers 13: 6; but Caleb was the son of Jephunneh the Kenezite see Numbers 13: 6. How can a Kenite ‘MALE’ be a member of the tribe of Judah?

The Kenezites are descendants of Cush, as are the Kenites, it was a Cu****e woman who Moses married that had upset Miriam and Aaron.

Judges 4: 11; states that Hobab the Kenite is the Father-in-law to Moses as was Jethro the Midianite, who was the father of Zipporah the first wife of Moses.

Chathan is the Hebrew for “WIFE’S FATHER’ as seen in Judges 4: 11. See Young’s analytical concordance.

Caleb is the son of Jephunneh the Kenezite, the widow of a man from the tribe of Judah.

And the Talmud states, Whoever brings up an orphan in his home is regarded as though the child had been born to him (Sanhedrin 119b) whether you like it or not sunshine. And a Child that is regarded to have been born of the Father of that house, is entitled to inherit from his Father.
Interesting. You assert that Caleb was only a Judean by adoption and prove this with part of the Talmud, yet seemingly ignore a different part of the Talmud that asserts that Caleb's father was Chetzron of the Tribe of Judah and Kenaz was Otniel's father and Caleb's stepfather, in no way implying that Kenaz was not an Israelite.

The Anointed

Interesting. You assert that Caleb was only a Judean by adoption and prove this with part of the Talmud, yet seemingly ignore a different part of the Talmud that asserts that Caleb's father was Chetzron of the Tribe of Judah and Kenaz was Otniel's father and Caleb's stepfather, in no way implying that Kenaz was not an Israelite.

To begin with, never have I made the assertion that Caleb was only a Judean by adoption. Caleb was the son of Jephunneh the Kenezite, the daughter of Hobab one of the two fathers- in-law to Moses, See judges 4: 11.and Jephunneh was the widow of a Man from the tribe of Judah, who Moses took as his second wife.

And contrary to you erroneous statement that Kenaz, the father of Otniel, was the stepfather of Caleb, if you had bothered to read Joshua 15: 17; You would have discovered that Othniel was the son of Kenaz, who is Caleb's younger brother.

The Kenezites were a tribe descended from Cush the Son of Ham, they were not Israelites

Numbers 32:12; Caleb the son of Jephunneh the Kenezite.

יב בִּלְתִּי כָּלֵב בֶּן-יְפֻנֶּה, הַקְּנִזִּי, וִיהוֹשֻׁעַ, בִּן-נוּן: כִּי מִלְאוּ, אַחֲרֵי יְהוָה. 12 save Caleb the son of Jephunneh the Kenizzite, and Joshua the son of Nun; because they have wholly followed the LORD.

Joshua 14: 6; Caleb the son of Jephunneh the Kenezite.

ו וַיִּגְּשׁוּ בְנֵי-יְהוּדָה אֶל-יְהוֹשֻׁעַ, בַּגִּלְגָּל, וַיֹּאמֶר אֵלָיו, כָּלֵב בֶּן-יְפֻנֶּה הַקְּנִזִּי: אַתָּה יָדַעְתָּ אֶת-הַדָּבָר אֲשֶׁר-דִּבֶּר יְהוָה אֶל-מֹשֶׁה אִישׁ-הָאֱלֹהִים, עַל אֹדוֹתַי וְעַל אֹדוֹתֶיךָ--בְּקָדֵשׁ בַּרְנֵעַ. 6 Then the children of Judah drew nigh unto Joshua in Gilgal; and Caleb the son of Jephunneh the Kenizzite said unto him: 'Thou knowest the thing that the LORD spoke unto Moses the man of God concerning me and concerning thee in Kadesh-barnea.

If Kenaz, the younger brother of Caleb were his full brother, he too would have been sired by a man from Judah, and named by his mother Jephunneh after her tribal name.

Last edited:

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
To begin with, never have I made the assertion that Caleb was only a Judean by adoption. Caleb was the son of Jephunneh the Kenezite, the daughter of Hobab one of the two fathers- in-law to Moses, See judges 4: 11.and Jephunneh was the widow of a Man from the tribe of Judah, who Moses took as his second wife.
What is unclear to me is why you think Jephunneh was the second wife of Moses? Is this some bit of Christian apocrypha that I'm unaware of?
And contrary to you erroneous statement that Kenaz, the father of Otniel, was the stepfather of Caleb, if you had bothered to read Joshua 15: 17; You would have discovered that Othniel was the son of Kenaz, who is Caleb's younger brother.
What do you want from me? The Talmud writes it. The only reason I brought is is because you seemed to infer that the Talmud has some sort of legitimacy in your eyes (something quite a few Christians disagree with). Here's the quote:
"The Gemara asks: And Caleb, was he the son of Kenaz? Wasn’t he Caleb, son of Jephunneh (Joshua 15:13)? The Gemara explains that Jephunneh was not the name of his father, but a description of Caleb. What does the word Jephunneh mean? It means that he turned [sheppana] from the advice of the spies and did not join with them in their negative report about Eretz Yisrael. The Gemara further asks: But still, was he the son of Kenaz? He was the son of Hezron, as it is written: “And Caleb, son of Hezron, begot children of Azubah his wife, and of Jerioth, and these were her sons: Jesher, and Shobab, and Ardon” (I Chronicles 2:18). Rava said: Caleb was actually the son of Hezron, but after his father passed away his mother remarried Kenaz, and consequently he was the stepson of Kenaz. Othniel, son of Kenaz, was therefore his maternal half brother." (Tmurah, 16a)​
If you don't view the Talmud as a legit source, perhaps you shouldn't be quoting it...

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
I noticed you had nothing to say about the Talmudic text...

Anyway, to the calculations:
where, according to the Hebrew scriptures they remained for 430 years.See Exodus 12: 40.
Point 1: Really? Have you ever tried adding up the years? Some people have, and believe me, they don't quite add up. Let's take a different lineage:
Moses--Amram--Kehat [--Levi, but not relevant to the calculations]

Kehat, like Chetzron, was one of the people that were born prior to coming down to Egypt. It is stated that Kehat lived 133 years (Exo. 6:18).
Amram, son of Kehat, lived 137 years (Exo. 6:20)
Moses was 80 when he left Egypt (died at 120, led Israel for 40 years) (and, Exo. 7:7)
Do the math, bro: 133+137+80=350, and this is all assuming that each person was indeed born in the last year of his father.
350 is 80 years away from 430...

(Side-note: considering that Amram lived 137 years and Kehat 133, together with Moses at 120 and Aharon at 123, I'd say that puts a bit of a damper on your "average age of people who came down to Egypt"...)

Point 2: Abraham was told his descendants would be in Egypt 400 years (Gen. 15:13).
Did the author of the Bible make some sort of mathematical mistake when he (or He, depending how you want to look at it) wrote that bit? Did he change his mind on the numbers or something?

I propose (as many have done before me), that Israel were many years less than 430 or even 400 years in Egypt, and the count actually starts from an earlier point in history. But you choose to explain away these problems however you want.

The Anointed

I noticed you had nothing to say about the Talmudic text...

Anyway, to the calculations:

Point 1: Really? Have you ever tried adding up the years? Some people have, and believe me, they don't quite add up. Let's take a different lineage:
Moses--Amram--Kehat [--Levi, but not relevant to the calculations]

Kehat, like Chetzron, was one of the people that were born prior to coming down to Egypt. It is stated that Kehat lived 133 years (Exo. 6:18).
Amram, son of Kehat, lived 137 years (Exo. 6:20)
Moses was 80 when he left Egypt (died at 120, led Israel for 40 years) (and, Exo. 7:7)
Do the math, bro: 133+137+80=350, and this is all assuming that each person was indeed born in the last year of his father.
350 is 80 years away from 430...

(Side-note: considering that Amram lived 137 years and Kehat 133, together with Moses at 120 and Aharon at 123, I'd say that puts a bit of a damper on your "average age of people who came down to Egypt"...)

Point 2: Abraham was told his descendants would be in Egypt 400 years (Gen. 15:13).
Did the author of the Bible make some sort of mathematical mistake when he (or He, depending how you want to look at it) wrote that bit? Did he change his mind on the numbers or something?

I propose (as many have done before me), that Israel were many years less than 430 or even 400 years in Egypt, and the count actually starts from an earlier point in history. But you choose to explain away these problems however you want.

Caleb the son of Jephunneh the Kenezite was 40 years old when the Exodus occurred, The Kenezites are the descendants of Cush the son of Ham, and Miriam and Aaron were angry because Moses had Married a Cu****e woman some 40 years after he had Married Zipporah the Midianite, and you still believe that Caleb the son of Hezron and Caleb the son of Jephunneh the Kenezite are one and the same person.

Well good luck with that mate, Perhaps one day you might like to study the Holy scriptures.

OH, and BTW, Israel was only in Egypt for 215 years, and not 430 years as the erroneous Hebrew bible states

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
OH, and BTW, Israel was only in Egypt for 215 years, and not 430 years as the erroneous Hebrew bible states
So, once presented with the proper calculations, instead of saying "hey, you may be right, I'll go look into that", you backtrack and claim you never said the Bible writes 430 years? :rolleyes:

You have yet to present me with the source that proves that Jephunneh is Moses' second wife.

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
So your Bible has it at 215 years? I would very much appreciate it if you showed me both the verse and what version you're using.

The Anointed

So your Bible has it at 215 years? I would very much appreciate it if you showed me both the verse and what version you're using.

Paul wrote in Galatians 3: 17; "What I mean is that God made a covenant with Abraham and promised to keep it. The Law, which was given 430 years later, cannot break that covenant and cancel God's promise."

The first promise that God made to Abraham was, 'If he would leaves his father in Haran and travel to the land of Canaan, he would give it to Abraham and his descendants.'"

Abraham was 75 when he entered Canaan with his sister wife Sarah and his nephew Lot.

25 years later, at the age of 100, he sired Isaac the son of God's promise, when Isaac was 60, he sired Jacob, whose name was changed to 'Israel.' And when Jacob was 130, all of Israel entered Egypt.

Add that all up" 25+60+130=215 years in the land of Canaan, 430 years from the time God made his first promise to Abraham, until the law given by Moses, 430-215= 215 years in Egypt.

The Greek Septuagint, which was translated by Jews from the original Hebrew some 200 years before Jesus, states in Exodus 12; 40, that Abraham and his descendants would be in the land of Canaan AND Egypt for 430 years.

If the Israelites had really been in Egypt for 430 years, do you know what the date of the exodus would have been?

Last edited:

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
If the Israelites had really been in Egypt for 430 years, do you know what the date of the exodus would have been?
I hope you realize that you're the one who first stated that Israel was in Egypt for 430 years, not I.
Add that all up" 25+60+130=215 years in the land of Canaan, 430 years from the time God made his first promise to Abraham, until the law given by Moses, 430-215= 215 years in Egypt.
Interesting, thank you. As I'm sure you know, I don't have quite that much knowledge of the NT.
The Greek Septuagint, which was translated by Jews from the original Hebrew some 200 years before Jesus, states in Exodus 12; 40, that Abraham and his descendants would be in the land of Canaan AND Egypt for 430 years.
I don't have much faith in the Greek Septuagint, considering that the people who decided to preserve it were Christians.

As long as we're discussing years and numbers and Egypt, do you mind giving your take on the 70 people who came down to Egypt? The verse says "And the sons of Joseph, who were born to him in Egypt, were two souls; all the souls of the house of Jacob, that came into Egypt, were threescore and ten." (Gen 46:27)
If you go back and look at the entire list of people, you'll find that there are actually 69 people who went down to Egypt - 71 people are listed, but Er and Onan died before that. So who's the missing person, in your opinion?

The Anointed

I hope you realize that you're the one who first stated that Israel was in Egypt for 430 years, not I.

Interesting, thank you. As I'm sure you know, I don't have quite that much knowledge of the NT.

I don't have much faith in the Greek Septuagint, considering that the people who decided to preserve it were Christians.

As long as we're discussing years and numbers and Egypt, do you mind giving your take on the 70 people who came down to Egypt? The verse says "And the sons of Joseph, who were born to him in Egypt, were two souls; all the souls of the house of Jacob, that came into Egypt, were threescore and ten." (Gen 46:27)
If you go back and look at the entire list of people, you'll find that there are actually 69 people who went down to Egypt - 71 people are listed, but Er and Onan died before that. So who's the missing person, in your opinion?

Sorry sunshine, I never did say that Israel was in Egypt for 430 years, what I said, and these are my exact words; "According to the Hebrew scriptures they remained for 430 years. See Exodus 12: 40."

The Hebrew bible from which the Jews in Alexandria translated into Greek some two hundred years before Jesus, was the main source from which the Greek speaking northern Jews studied in the day of Jesus.

All the persons of the House of Jacob, which includes Jacob who were in Egypt were 70.

We are well aware that you are not conversant with the NT, and because you believe that Caleb the son of Hezon, is one and the same person as the 40 year old Caleb the son of Jephunneh the Kenezite, it is obvious that you not up to scratch on the Talmud also.

Exodus 3: 1; Now Moses was keeping the flock of his father-in-law Jethro. 'Father-in-law number one.'

Judges 4: 11; Now Heber the Kenite, had separated from the Kenites the descendants of Hobab the father-in-law of Moses. 'Father-in-law number two.'

Now surely, the fact that Moses had two fathers-in-law, must ring a bell, can you hear it ringing young fellow?

BTW, you never did answer the question; "In what Year do you believe that the exodus occurred?"

Last edited:

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
I prefer Maimonides: "You must accept the truth from whatever source it comes.”

Be that as it may, you might find Mekhilta d'Yishmael 12:40 relevant. It's referenced in Sarna's commentary on Exodus 12:40 where he notes:

40-41. This historical summation does not exactly accord with the four hundred years of Egyptian oppression predicted in Genesis 15:13. The Mekhilta resolves the discrepancy by attributing the thirty-year difference to the interval between God's covenant with Abraham and the birth of Isaac, although the text speaks clearly enough only of the Egyptian episode. The inclusion of the sojourn in Canaan in the computation is explicit in the texts of the Samaritan recension and the Septuagint translation. The variant in this latter is noted in rabbinic sources. Ibn Ezra begins the reckoning with the departure of Abraham from Haran for Canaan. And, in fact, exactly two hundred and fifteen years elapsed between that event and Jacob's migration to Egypt, yielding the same time span for the stay of the Israelites in Egypt. This kind of symmetry follows a pattern well established in the patriarchal narratives and describe elsewhere in the Book of Genesis. Thus, Abraham lived seventy-five years in the home of his father and seventy-five years in the lifetime of his son Isaac. He was one hundred years of age at the birth of Isaac, and lived one hundred years in Canaan. Jacob lived seventeen years with Joseph in Canaan and a like period with him in Egypt. Ten generations separated Noah from Adam, and another ten generations, Abraham from Noah. In the light of these facts it may be that neatly balanced periods of time are intended to be rhetorical rather than literal; that is, they underline the biblical ideal of history as the fulfillment of God's deliberate design. In the world view of the Bible, history cannot be merely a series of disconnected haphazard incidents.​