• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Meiosis, Menstruation, Memes.

John D. Brey

Professor David Biale has an excellent essay that questions the gender-dynamics of blood within a Jewish religious context. Why is the blood of circumcision (male blood) sacred, purifying, ornamental, while the blood of the menstruant, the niddah (female blood), is a pollutant, poisonous, even demonic?

Though I've dealt with this question in depth in essays of my own, here I'm thinking about menstruation specifically in relationship to meiosis, and memes, and specifically in the context of the other thread on meiosis and Messiah.

To cut to the chase, within the context of a reworking of the ontology of gender (ha-adam initially possessed a female body), we can say the first human's female body represents "female" flesh (not remarkable) while the "androgyny" (which would better be termed "gynandrous") is not about a male existing inside ha-adam, or part of ha-adam's female flesh becoming "male" (inverting Genesis 2:21), but about revealing the true gender-dynamics of the Torah-text once some questionable Masoretic slips of the wrist have been removed from the interpretation of the Hebrew text.

Ha-adam's body, flesh, is female flesh, while ha-adam's blood (which Rabbi Hirsch calls "liquid flesh") is male.

The power of this thought is that within this context there's no visible male flesh, no manifest masculinity, unless there's some blood-letting, which usually lets us know death, or danger, is lurking in the vicinity. The power of this thought is two-fold since it accounts for taking a knife (brit milah) to the lie of male flesh (the phallus), while accepting the blood of that flesh as masculine, soul, spirit, life-giving, and then turning around and doing the complete opposite in the case of the niddah: her flesh is female, so it's not gallivanting as what it's not (as the flesh of the phallus is). But her blood, which is male, as all blood is, should not be "seen" outside a female body any more than soul or spirit should be seen outside of a body.

Where the foregoing is understood, so to say, a legitimate question arises as to why circumcision blood would be ok outside a body regardless of whether that body, that flesh, were male or female since being outside of a body, as stated above, implies that death, or danger, is lurking in the midst?

There's only one way that the death associated with, symbolized by, visible blood, can be good, pure, purifying, sacred: it must be an utterly unique symbol of death. It must be the symbol of death itself, which in this context, is the death of the death-dealing con-cept of "masculine flesh." Voila! Brit milah! . . . The blood of the "male flesh" (the phallus which is only gallivanting as what doesn't exist, male flesh, symbolizes the serpent of death, the rod of death, the weal and woe of death, therein symbolizing death itself: brit milah, the blood of brit milah, is good, sanctifying, salvific, even though it represents death just as much as does the blood of the niddah, for the express reason that it represents the death of death itself (whose deliver is the facade of male-flesh, the fallacy of male-flesh, the phallus), and therein represents everlasting life.

John

Last edited:

John D. Brey

This is if anything even more creepy than the last subject. :confused:

Ultimately, nobody can get more out of things, including books, than he already knows. For what one lacks access to from experience one will have no ear. . . What serves the higher type of men as nourishment or delectation must almost be poison for a very different and inferior type. The virtues of the common man might perhaps signify vices and weaknesses in a philosopher. It could be possible that a man of a high type, when degenerating and perishing, might only at that point acquire qualities that would require those in the lower sphere into which he had sunk to begin to venerate him like a saint.

Nietzsche.​

John

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
This is if anything even more creepy than the last subject. :confused:
In that case, I guess I should probably read it.

For this thread I decided to scroll past the OP and read the reactions first...

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Why is the blood of circumcision (male blood) sacred, purifying, ornamental, while the blood of the menstruant, the niddah (female blood), is a pollutant, poisonous, even demonic?

Right off the bat, you're wrong on this, John. But I'm not a Rabbi, so I can't really explain it. It's just plain not true.

On all 6 counts.

The entire question is based on a false premise. OY!

I'm sorry @exchemist , I tried to read it. But I couldn't get past the 2nd sentence. { big sigh }

exchemist

Veteran Member
Right off the bat, you're wrong on this, John. But I'm not a Rabbi, so I can't really explain it. It's just plain not true.

On all 6 counts.

The entire question is based on a false premise. OY!

I'm sorry @exchemist , I tried to read it. But I couldn't get past the 2nd sentence. { big sigh }
I don't blame you.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Professor David Biale has an excellent essay that questions the gender-dynamics of blood within a Jewish religious context. Why is the blood of circumcision (male blood) sacred, purifying, ornamental, while the blood of the menstruant, the niddah (female blood), is a pollutant, poisonous, even demonic?

Though I've dealt with this question in depth in essays of my own, here I'm thinking about menstruation specifically in relationship to meiosis, and memes, and specifically in the context of the other thread on meiosis and Messiah.

To cut to the chase, within the context of a reworking of the ontology of gender (ha-adam initially possessed a female body), we can say the first human's female body represents "female" flesh (not remarkable) while the "androgyny" (which would better be termed "gynandrous") is not about a male existing inside ha-adam, or part of ha-adam's female flesh becoming "male" (inverting Genesis 2:21), but about revealing the true gender-dynamics of the Torah-text once some questionable Masoretic slips of the wrist have been removed from the interpretation of the Hebrew text.

Ha-adam's body, flesh, is female flesh, while ha-adam's blood (which Rabbi Hirsch calls "liquid flesh") is male.

The power of this thought is that within this context there's no visible male flesh, no manifest masculinity, unless there's some blood-letting, which usually lets us know death, or danger, is lurking in the vicinity. The power of this thought is two-fold since it accounts for taking a knife (brit milah) to the lie of male flesh (the phallus), while accepting the blood of that flesh as masculine, soul, spirit, life-giving, and then turning around and doing the complete opposite in the case of the niddah: her flesh is female, so it's not gallivanting as what it's not (as the flesh of the phallus is). But her blood, which is male, as all blood is, should not be "seen" outside a female body any more than soul or spirit should be seen outside of a body.

Where the foregoing is understood, so to say, a legitimate question arises as to why circumcision blood would be ok outside a body regardless of whether that body, that flesh, were male or female since being outside of a body, as stated above, implies that death, or danger, is lurking in the midst?

There's only one way that the death associated with, symbolized by, visible blood, can be good, pure, purifying, sacred: it must be an utterly unique symbol of death. It must be the symbol of death itself, which in this context, is the death of the death-dealing con-cept of "masculine flesh." Voila! Brit milah! . . . The blood of the "male flesh" (the phallus which is only gallivanting as what doesn't exist, male flesh, symbolizes the serpent of death, the rod of death, the weal and woe of death, therein symbolizing death itself: brit milah, the blood of brit milah, is good, sanctifying, salvific, even though it represents death just as much as does the blood of the niddah, for the express reason that it represents the death of death itself (whose deliver is the facade of male-flesh, the fallacy of male-flesh, the phallus), and therein represents everlasting life.

John
Well, it's in a debate thread, so here goes....

What a load of ....

Up next...can God make a penis so big he can't circumcise it, followed by what's your favourite Disney fairy tale?

Blood is neither male nor female. It is not "good, sanctifying, or salvific." It has precisely 3 functions, in males, females, adults, children, the educated and the stupid, and even in the religious and non-religious. It transports, it protects and it regulates.

It transports gases (O2 and CO2), between the lungs and rest of the body, nutrients from the digestive tract and storage sites to the rest of the body, waste products to be detoxified or removed by the liver and kidneys, hormones from the glands in which they are produced to their target cells, and heat to the skin so as to help regulate body temperature.

It offers protection through leukocytes, or white blood cells, that destroy invading microorganisms and cancer cells, antibodies and other proteins destroy pathogenic substances, and platelet factors that initiate blood clotting and help minimise blood loss.

And it helps regulate pH by interacting with acids and bases, and water balance by transferring water to and from tissues.

Oh, I forgot -- yes, it does have something to do with the phallus after all -- it's the source of the hydraulics that make that thing stand to attention. Humans (and spider monkeys), fairly uniquely among animals, have no baculum (penis bone) to help in that regard.

John D. Brey

Oh, I forgot -- yes, it does have something to do with the phallus after all -- it's the source of the hydraulics that make that thing stand to attention. Humans (and spider monkeys), fairly uniquely among animals, have no baculum (penis bone) to help in that regard.

. . . We'll get back to the baculum. But the statement above lends itself to the concepts in this thread, though I'll be sure to return it. The blood is the heart and soul of the male-flesh. When the organ is involved in its most seminal mission, the mission of semen emission, it's filled to the brim with masculinity: blood. . . In Professor Wolfson's terminology, it's androgynous. In mine, it's gynandrous.

Flesh and blood = androgyny; or corrected, gynandrous.

John

Last edited:

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Quid est veritas?

I'm not a Rabbi, so I can't really explain it. It's just plain not true.

I have no reason to try to convince you otherwise. There's nothing harmful about these misconceptions.

But basically,

You labeled the blood from circumcision: sacred, purifying, ornamental. All three of those are false.
Then you labeled female menstrual blood: a pollutant, poisonous, even demonic. All three of these are false.

3+3=6 false statements all in the 2nd sentence in your OP.

If you would like to bring evidence supporting these 6 false claims go ahead.

John D. Brey

I have no reason to try to convince you otherwise. There's nothing harmful about these misconceptions.

But basically,

You labeled the blood from circumcision: sacred, purifying, ornamental. All three of those are false.
Then you labeled female menstrual blood: a pollutant, poisonous, even demonic. All three of these are false.

3+3=6 false statements all in the 2nd sentence in your OP.

If you would like to bring evidence supporting these 6 false claims go ahead.

. . . None of the points are false and you would know that if you knew enough to appreciate what's being said. That said, if the perceived error of the points was the source of your disagreement with the concepts here proffered I'd gladly show the veracity of each point.

John

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
. . . I was kinda insinuating that your big words and head suggest you mightn't be circumcised.

John
And what would that have to do with my ability to think?

For the record, I was born in 1948, when pretty much every boy was...and thus I am.

But I also think it's a ridiculous practice, just as I would suppose snipping off the earlobes of newborns because they don't seem to be involved in hearing would be ridiculous.

Circumcision is a religious practice, one that tries to assert that God alone is in charge of your sexuality, and takes ownership through circumcision. Totally dumb, without merit, and without a logical raison d'etre.

(Full disclosure, so that I am not made out to be dishonest...I am a homosexual, and I do not in fact like uncircumcised penises. That is a result of my own inculturation, and does not change my attitude to the stupidity of the practice.)

John D. Brey

Circumcision is a religious practice, one that tries to assert that God alone is in charge of your sexuality, and takes ownership through circumcision. Totally dumb, without merit, and without a logical raison d'etre.

. . . Dumb could be said to be in the eye-hole of the beholder. That's a stinging truth no doubt. For instance, I might say if circumcision is a religious practice, then leave it to the religious to say what it is. For instance, I'm religious, and I don't recognize your definition of circumcision as legit.

John