• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mega-church?

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
Who here has ever been to a Mega-church?

i.e. a church with more than 2,000 regular attendees

What was it like?

Last edited:

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member

i.e. a church with more than 2,000 regular attendees

What was it like?
I have visited one -- multiple times.

Generally speaking, as with a small church (350 or less), there are pro's and con's and you get out of it what you put into it.

Personal experience (Hillsong mega-church) it was AMAZING from beginning to end.

Any particular area you wanted to address?

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Generally speaking, as with a small church (350 or less), there are pro's and con's and you get out of it what you put into it.
I've been to both but prefer the smaller ones as there's fewer people to chase me.

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
I have visited one -- multiple times.

Personal experience (Hillsong mega-church) it was AMAZING from beginning to end.

Any particular area you wanted to address?
Would you say it lacked intimacy?

That's what I'd expect...

And I'd expect it to feel more like an observer at a concert than a participation in a worship service???

In your experience, would you say these preconceptions are correct?

What did the atmosphere feel like?

metis

Like when all 11 grandchildren are in my house!!!
Hey, ever been in a Sicilian home? Ours is so noisy when our kids and grandkids are all here that we get warnings from the police in neighboring counties.

Kenny

Premium Member
Would you say it lacked intimacy?

That's what I'd expect...

And I'd expect it to feel more like an observer at a concert than a participation in a worship service???

In your experience, would you say these preconceptions are correct?

What did the atmosphere feel like?

I would say it is really just perception. I pastor a church that runs between 300 and 350 and within that group there are those who would say it isn't intimate and those who say it is. That is why I say "You get out of it what you put into it".

Caveat, it also depends on the culture of the church (whether small or large). Each church has a different culture.

As a rule, we never go beyond knowing 70 people and intimately no more than 12 or so. Therefore, whether in a large church or a small one--you still can only be intimate with 70 people. Perception, because of size, may differ but the reality is just the same. There are people in our church that just aren't and don't want to be intimate.

If the person gets plugged in and serves, they will automatically develop intimate relationship. Go to a home-group and it is even more intimate.

Worship is also individual. When I first gave my life to Jesus -- I was an observer. As my relationship with God became deeper, I became a participator. Now, I don't care who sees me or which church I am at... I will worship. To put it another way, if someone goes to a place with expectation they will be touched and ministered to. If one enters with doubt the it probably will be the same as it was with Jesus when he entered his own town... flat.

The atmosphere at Hillsong was amazing. It seemed like every one of those going were on the same page with the same heart. Maybe an anomaly since that is the only mega-church I've been to. People were engaging, loving and reaching out and wanting to know you.

Kenny

Premium Member
Hey, ever been in a Sicilian home? Ours is so noisy when our kids and grandkids are all here that we get warnings from the police in neighboring counties.
LOL... my great grandmother was Sicilian and some of her children could give you an offer you couldn't refuse... so YES! :D

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
I would say it is really just perception. I pastor a church that runs between 300 and 350 and within that group there are those who would say it isn't intimate and those who say it is. That is why I say "You get out of it what you put into it".

Caveat, it also depends on the culture of the church (whether small or large). Each church has a different culture.

As a rule, we never go beyond knowing 70 people and intimately no more than 12 or so. Therefore, whether in a large church or a small one--you still can only be intimate with 70 people. Perception, because of size, may differ but the reality is just the same. There are people in our church that just aren't and don't want to be intimate.

If the person gets plugged in and serves, they will automatically develop intimate relationship. Go to a home-group and it is even more intimate.

Worship is also individual. When I first gave my life to Jesus -- I was an observer. As my relationship with God became deeper, I became a participator. Now, I don't care who sees me or which church I am at... I will worship. To put it another way, if someone goes to a place with expectation they will be touched and ministered to. If one enters with doubt the it probably will be the same as it was with Jesus when he entered his own town... flat.

The atmosphere at Hillsong was amazing. It seemed like every one of those going were on the same page with the same heart. Maybe an anomaly since that is the only mega-church I've been to. People were engaging, loving and reaching out and wanting to know you.
To me 300 to 350 attendees is enormous, for a church

I can't imagine that many people ever attending any of the churches I go to, I literally cannot imagine it!

metis

On the more serious side, I was to one that was a large church but I wouldn't go as far as calling it a "mega-church". And when I said "noisy" in an earlier post, I meant it. I felt that I was more at a rock concert than a church as it was loud and the noise didn't cease for probably around 1 & 1/2 hours. Obviously, many people seemed to very much enjoy that but not me-- but that's me. A product of my age, I guess.

But it does remind me of what Martin Luther said, namely that church services should not be entertaining or people will go for the wrong reason. I can see his point on that, but I can also see how services like that can attract young people especially.

IOW, a "mixed bag".

Kenny

Premium Member
To me 300 to 350 attendees is enormous, for a church

I can't imagine that many people ever attending any of the churches I go to, I literally cannot imagine it!

It community, it's involvement, it's life

I notice you are from England. Assuming you are living there I would go to a mega-church just for the experience especially if the extent of interaction is within the Lutheran venue (not wrong... just different)

Screen Shot 2020-02-13 at 5.00.49 PM.png

Locations | UK

Let me know how it went if you go.

PS... People usually line up to get in 1/2 hour before it starts. :)

Last edited:

Kenny

Premium Member
On the more serious side, I was to one that was a large church but I wouldn't go as far as calling it a "mega-church". And when I said "noisy" in an earlier post, I meant it. I felt that I was more at a rock concert than a church as it was loud and the noise didn't cease for probably around 1 & 1/2 hours. Obviously, many people seemed to very much enjoy that but not me-- but that's me. A product of my age, I guess.

But it does remind me of what Martin Luther said, namely that church services should not be entertaining or people will go for the wrong reason. I can see his point on that, but I can also see how services like that can attract young people especially.

IOW, a "mixed bag".

there is some good points here, Metis. It really is a tightrope for a pastor. One person said, "It is still ONE Church with many rooms"... some rooms are quieter than others :)

The tightrope is "How do I reach the next generation without changing the message. How do I repackage the product but not change the actual message and life that is in it".

I do know that people went to Jesus for different reasons. But if you were hungry and thirsty, you were impacted.

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
It community, it's involvement, it's life

I notice you are from England. Assuming you are living there I would go to a mega-church just for the experience especially if the extent of interaction is within the Lutheran venue (not wrong... just different)

View attachment 37031

Locations | UK

Let me know how it went if you go.
Thanks for sharing

Next time I'm in London I'll go to one of them

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member

I see from the scriptures that the congregations were apparently kept deliberately small in the first century because the shepherds could never take adequate care of the flock if there were too many sheep needing help....Fast forward to today and it is especially true in the world we have to contend with now....so many problems!
There was never just one man who was responsible for the whole congregation, there was a body of elders who together, cared for the flock.

1 Peter 5:1-3
" Therefore, I exhort the elders among you, as your fellow elder and witness of the sufferings of Christ, and a partaker also of the glory that is to be revealed, 2 shepherd the flock of God among you, exercising oversight not under compulsion, but voluntarily, according to the will of God; and not for sordid gain, but with eagerness; 3 nor yet as lording it over those allotted to your charge, but proving to be examples to the flock." (NASB)

Where does this rule come from? I have never heard of it before. What if more than 70 need your help and guidance through a rough patch? How do mega-churches ever fulfill their responsibility before God to care for the flock?

Does Hillsong engender more than hyped up emotion though? Should our worship become based on what is popular as if "bums on seats" means anything but money in the coffers. I had neighbors who attended Hillsong services and was appalled that their yearly assembly was sold by the ticket, like some kind of rock concert. (and it wasn't cheap) Did Jesus charge money for his services?
Didn't he say..."you received free, give free"? :shrug:

Kenny

Premium Member
I see from the scriptures that the congregations were apparently kept deliberately small in the first century because the shepherds could never take adequate care of the flock if there were too many sheep needing help....Fast forward to today and it is especially true in the world we have to contend with now....so many problems!
There was never just one man who was responsible for the whole congregation, there was a body of elders who together, cared for the flock.

I don't see anything there about small. Actually, if the word "elders" (plural) is used, which suggests bigger than small.

Scriptures also show both big and small

Where does this rule come from? I have never heard of it before. What if more than 70 need your help and guidance through a rough patch? How do mega-churches ever fulfill their responsibility before God to care for the flock?

Remember... the first day 3000 were saved, then 5000 were saved and then it multiplied in Jerusalem. You could say it was the first mega-church. Acts 6 (Deacons)

How you care for a large church? You select among you overseers... That is exactly what they did. :)

Does Hillsong engender more than hyped up emotion though? Should our worship become based on what is popular as if "bums on seats" means anything but money in the coffers. I had neighbors who attended Hillsong services and was appalled that their yearly assembly was sold by the ticket, like some kind of rock concert. (and it wasn't cheap) Did Jesus charge money for his services?
Didn't he say..."you received free, give free"? :shrug:

No. Go to their church and it is free and not hyped. Extended gatherings require rental fees, public servants that want a paycheck etc. I don't think you can judge an event like that with the same judgement of having a church service.

Remember when Jesus went to his home town and they didn't get any miracles save the healing of some small things? It was their faith and attitude but not the presence of God.

So let me look at the "attitude" of your friend... "Appalled" -- "Sold" -- "Rock Concert" -- sounds like a pre-disposition.

I know of people who went and they were "ministered to" -- "had an encounter with God" -- "entered into deep worship" and were not "hyped"

I guess you get what you want. ;)

A tree is known by its fruit. Lives are changed, drug addicts are delivered, the lost are found, the poor are helped, and so much more. The fruit seems to be very much God.

sooda

Veteran Member

I had to look up Hillsong.

Hillsong was formerly affiliated with Australian Christian Churches (the Assemblies of God in Australia), which belongs within the Pentecostal tradition of Christianity. The church's beliefs are Evangelical and Pentecostal in that it holds the Bible as the truth and authoritative in matters of faith.