• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Meet the Parents

Doc

Space Chief
I used to frequent these forums when I was younger, and it's been a pretty long time since I've been on. But I thought it would be a decent place to pose this question given my previous positive experiences here.

I'm in my early 20s and I've been dating a wonderful girl for a while now. She's the best thing that's ever happened to me. I don't have any doubt that she will be the girl I'll marry. In fact, I hope to pop the question within a year.

We are alike in almost all respects. We agree on just about everything and we're very open with one another. The only difference between us is religion. I was raised Roman Catholic, and she Non-Denominational. Religion has been the one topic I avoid at all costs with her, but it has inevitably come up a few times.

She asked me last year what my thoughts on religion were and inside I cringed. I told the truth about as well as I could. Although raised Catholic, I didn't really consider myself a devout one. I'm extremely traditional when it comes to sex, morality, and family, and I enjoy reading the Bible as well. I guess you could say I'm a deist. But as for organized religion, I'm fairly indifferent. (I stealthily left those last two lines out.)

Thankfully, that passed muster and it really hasn't been brought up a whole lot since. Sometime this spring though, I will be meeting her parents presumably. I asked my girlfriend what her parents would most likely ask me about. One of the first things she says? Religion.

Have any of you ever had this sort of experience? Perhaps a spouse or lover who isn't of the same religious persuasion as you. How did you deal with it, and if it applies, dealing with their relatives about it too?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
Yes, my ex's family is very Christian. They already knew I was a Hindu and didn't really bring it up. I do know though that it is important to be honest and respectful. If they ask, tell the truth without elaborating if possible. Just say that you are a deist and if you want to make it sound better say that you sometimes read the Bible. Don't look ashamed or embarrassed and just be honest.

enchanted_one1975

Resident Lycanthrope
Have any of you ever had this sort of experience? Perhaps a spouse or lover who isn't of the same religious persuasion as you. How did you deal with it, and if it applies, dealing with their relatives about it too?
My fiance and I were of totally different religions. Being open minded I researched her religion so that I may know more about her. The end result was me becoming Wiccan. I later fine tuned to Kemetic Wiccan. That was not her doing, but a further journey along my own, yet similar path. As far as family, it is important to establish if she will still feel the same about you if her parents do not approve of you. If she will then you have no worries. If she will not then she is not ready for a serious relationship.