• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Meet the introverts who are dreading a return to normal

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
Meet the introverts who are dreading a return to normal

Social scientists correctly predicted that introverts were best suited to weather the stress of the past year. After months of lockdown, the question now is whether introverts can teach the rest of us something about moving forward.

When restrictions were imposed last year, “I had extrovert friends who were just losing their minds,” says Sólo. But introverts were finally getting the uninterrupted time they craved.

Not every introvert, of course — those suddenly spending 24/7 with family members or roommates were much more stressed. But most of Granneman’s audience said they loved being at home, freed from all the invitations, the meetings, the many outings with family and friends.

So how about you? Do you lean introvert or extrovert? (It's a sliding scale, not an either or, you can be some of both and even situationally an introvert or extrovert).

Myself, I lean introvert, and this sentence from the article speaks for me:

Introverts missed seeing their close friends but savored the ability to go for hours or even days without speaking to another person.

Are you ready to go back out into the pre-quarantine world? Or are you already mourning the impending loss of the solitude you didn't have to make any excuses for?
The one thing I miss most from before COVID is being able to go to the grocery store at 3 Am when there is almost literally no one else there.

anna.

but mostly it's the same
The one thing I miss most from before COVID is being able to go to the grocery store at 3 Am when there is almost literally no one else there.

I wonder if grocery stores will ever go back to their pre-pandemic hours.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Latish middle-aged and definitely old enough to know better. :) I think some people are naturally themselves without apology and some learn how to be that way whether through positive or negative experiences, and some never get there.
I don't know how or when it happened (I'm 61) but I definitely toned down my deference somewhere along the way. :D

anna.

but mostly it's the same
I don't know how or when it happened (I'm 61) but I definitely toned down my deference somewhere along the way. :D

I find that admirable. :) I went from conservative to moderately liberal in the last ~decade, being an exception to the idea of getting more conservative as you get older. Now I keep my expanding liberalism in the closet most of the time to avoid conflict with family and friends, but I'm learning slowly how to present a different POV. Being online has helped a lot, I can say online what I find almost impossible to say in real life.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
An overly vocal uncle I'm quite fond of used to give me crap about it until I said "The only reason anyone cares is because I'm a woman and women are supposed to like hugs. No one gives (my male cousin) crap about not wanting hugs." He left me alone after that, and respectfully gives me the same goodbye gesture he does with male family members now.
I have read that a long enough hug can generate endorphins in a person. So now, if I think I might hug a person, I must irritate them first. (just meaning an uncomfortable long time)

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
I wonder if grocery stores will ever go back to their pre-pandemic hours.
I hope so.

It sucks dealing with stupid and when in public, there is a lot more stupid.
specially in Michigan where most people refuse to wear masks and 90% of the ones "wearing" a mask are not wearing it correctly.