• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Meet Governor Rick Perry: Our Next President?

Acim

Revelation all the time
When Dems finds a Republican that is worth consideration and Pubs agree on that candidate and/or Pubs find a Dem worth consideration and Dems agree on that candidate - let me know. I'll start paying attention then as if what you all are saying actually matters to the direction and priorities of our country.

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
When Dems finds a Republican that is worth consideration and Pubs agree on that candidate and/or Pubs find a Dem worth consideration and Dems agree on that candidate - let me know. I'll start paying attention then as if what you all are saying actually matters to the direction and priorities of our country.
Yeah - I'm not holding my breath either..............

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member

I think the day both sides agree on a canidate is the day the world will fall out of orbit and go shooting off into space.

Or we'll all just spontaneously combust. Either one.

Mathematician

Reason, and reason again

I like the New Mexico guy.

Darkness

Psychoanalyst/Marxist

I could live with Mitt Romney as President. :yes:

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I think Romney would be less of a problem than Bachmann or Perry. He's somewhat of a moderate, and could negotiate rather than sticking to extreme positions.

But I think he's a typical corporate republican, perhaps even more than usual, who would keep a regressive tax system, and continue to grow the divide between the rich and the poor, continue to grow the trade deficit, and not balance the budget.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
But I think he's a typical corporate republican, perhaps even more than usual, who would keep a regressive tax system, and continue to grow the divide between the rich and the poor, continue to grow the trade deficit, and not balance the budget.
At least he'd looks better than Obama (an archetypical corporate Republican) by those criteria.
Don't worry though...if Romney got the nod, I'll still vote for whomever the Libertarian candidate is.

Copernicus

Industrial Strength Linguist
I agree with Penumbra's assessment of Romney. He is still the most likely challenger to Obama, but we won't know that until we see how Republican voters actually cast their votes in primaries and caucuses. Rick Perry may turn out to be a flash-in-the-pan candidate who ends up in the VP slot. Romney will run the toughest campaign against Obama. If he were to prevail, he would not have policies that are significantly different from Obama's, and our country will continue to decline economically, unless he can find a way to get an adequate stimulus bill through Congress. Being a Republican with an "R" in front of his name would certainly give him more influence, but I do see him as basically looking for ways to give out even more corporate welfare to his campaign contributors than Obama (a Republican with "D" in front of his name) is willing to do. His "corporations are people" line is going to dog him in the same way that Gore's "I invented the internet" quote (which Gore did not actually say) dogged him. The big difference is that the punditry media does not have to make this stuff up to pin it on Romney.

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I agree with Penumbra's assessment of Romney. He is still the most likely challenger to Obama, but we won't know that until we see how Republican voters actually cast their votes in primaries and caucuses. Rick Perry may turn out to be a flash-in-the-pan candidate who ends up in the VP slot. Romney will run the toughest campaign against Obama. If he were to prevail, he would not have policies that are significantly different from Obama's, and our country will continue to decline economically, unless he can find a way to get an adequate stimulus bill through Congress. Being a Republican with an "R" in front of his name would certainly give him more influence, but I do see him as basically looking for ways to give out even more corporate welfare to his campaign contributors than Obama (a Republican with "D" in front of his name) is willing to do. His "corporations are people" line is going to dog him in the same way that Gore's "I invented the internet" quote (which Gore did not actually say) dogged him. The big difference is that the punditry media does not have to make this stuff up to pin it on Romney.
You made up the Romney quote too.

Copernicus

Industrial Strength Linguist
Hah! That's you pretending to be Romney!
I should look so good in my dotage. He has the hair, the smile, the plaid shirt, and the foot on the bale of hay. Have you noticed lately that the Republican candidates have been posing with one foot resting on a bale of hay? I suspect that they do this because Bachmann can't. However, she might surprise us all and do it anyway. Then they would have to think up some other pose to demonstrate their masculine dominance. This war of the poses could get creepy.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Electioneering is always creepy.
I'm off to a a short extended family vacation.
I fear that they will want to talk about the election.
I must be diplomatic & evasive....they're all from the DC area, & see Castro as a conservative.