• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Meet Governor Rick Perry: Our Next President?

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
I'm not saying the Dems are any better, but from my limited experience it seems to me that the GOP's grandest strategy is to convince the non-rich to actively vote against themselves and love it the whole time.

How to sum up the Dems... I don't know. They're just stupid. Just chant "hope" and "change" and appeal to everyone's emotions... yeah, that'll work. I dunno, maybe someone more politically clever can help!

You nailed it.

I think both parties take for granted certain blocs of the population that they just assume will support them.

They may all be in for some surprises this go 'round. I certainly hope so. I plan to do my own share of some surprisin'!

darkstar

There was a time when the hospital systems in Texas, especially in the Houston medical center, were considered very good. In fact I heard them mentioned in several other states. That has now changed. I've seen it as both a patient and a licensed CNA.

School systems are horrible now. My mother in law is a teacher and my wife was a teachers aid and studying to be a teacher.
I work, in my current job, with people that have special needs. This means physical and mental disabilities. Texas is at the bottom of the list of state care of people in need here. And what are they doing? Putting forward the idea of cutting more help for these people.

The job market is horrible here. Other than small areas of Texas that are not too bad, over 80% of Texas is suffering. When the lines at the unemployment office resemble the wait at the DMV, don't tell me that Texas is holding their own.

As I said to a previous post in this thread. It's great that you're doing well. I am truly happy for you and I am sincere in that. However, just because you are doing well doesn't mean that everyone else is. It's also rather disrespectful, irresponsible and potentially self defeating to stay blind to the big picture because you're small corner is ok. All it takes is one day of bad luck and you could end up down here with everyone else fighting to get out of bad times that Perry is making worse.

Last edited:

Kathryn

There was a time when the hospital systems in Texas, especially in the Houston medical center, were considered very good. In fact I heard them mentioned in several other states. That has now changed. I've seen it as both a patient and a licensed CNA.

School systems are horrible now. My mother in law is a teacher and my wife was a teachers aid and studying to be a teacher.
I work, in my current job, with people that have special needs. This means physical and mental disabilities. Texas is at the bottom of the list of state care of people in need here. And what are they doing? Putting forward the idea of cutting more help for these people.

The job market is horrible here. Other than small areas of Texas that are not too bad, over 80% of Texas is suffering. When the lines at the unemployment office resemble the wait at the DMV, don't tell me that Texas is holding their own.

As I said to a previous post in this thread. It's great that you're doing well. I am truly happy for you and I am sincere in that. However, just because you are doing well doesn't mean that everyone else is. It's also rather disrespectful, irresponsible and potentially self defeating to stay blind to the big picture because you're small corner is ok. All it takes is one day of bad luck and you could end up down here with everyone else fighting to get out of bad times that Perry is making worse.

darkstar - Texas is pretty large. I think you have selective vision, which is ironic since you're accusing me of the very same thing. I've lived in Texas for twenty years, and in, oh, I lose count - about 10 other states and two other countries, and traveled all over the world. I know full well that Texas isn't perfect, but I also know a good place when I see one.

It's ok that you don't share my opinion, but I can at least be generous and say that both viewpoints are rather subjective.

As for your accusation that I'm disrespectful and irresponsible because I appreciate the FACT that many parts of Texas (not just northeast Texas) are doing very well - sorry, but that's a pretty ridiculous statement. Not to mention, unnecessarily inflammatory and judgmental.

Last edited:

darkstar

Oh I can understand what you're saying. No Texas is not Hell. I'm not trying to compare it to a 3rd world country either.

I Have, however, lived all over this country. Texas is not much different than everywhere else. We aren't doing any better than most states. And cutting funding to things like school are not going to make it any better.

My point is that, I disagree with people trying to say that Perry is making Texas better in areas like jobs. We're just like everyone else in that regard.
However I'm also tired of people saying Obama is making things better when it feels like we're on a bad amusement park ride that takes us up a bit before dunking us back under water.

I was not meaning to imply attacking in any way. But I AM pointing out that, while you are doing well, you're in the minority.

Mathematician

Reason, and reason again
darkstar - Texas is pretty large. I think you have selective vision, which is ironic since you're accusing me of the very same thing. I've lived in Texas for twenty years, and in, oh, I lose count - about 10 other states and two other countries, and traveled all over the world. I know full well that Texas isn't perfect, but I also know a good place when I see one.

It's ok that you don't share my opinion, but I can at least be generous and say that both viewpoints are rather subjective.

As for your accusation that I'm disrespectful and irresponsible because I appreciate the FACT that many parts of Texas (not just northeast Texas) are doing very well - sorry, but that's a pretty ridiculous statement. Not to mention, unnecessarily inflammatory and judgmental.

I really don't see why you are implying Texas is keeping its head above water when our unemployment numbers, drop-out figures, uninsured population, poverty rate, etc. are dismal.

Kathryn

Oh I can understand what you're saying. No Texas is not Hell. I'm not trying to compare it to a 3rd world country either.

I Have, however, lived all over this country. Texas is not much different than everywhere else. We aren't doing any better than most states. And cutting funding to things like school are not going to make it any better.

My point is that, I disagree with people trying to say that Perry is making Texas better in areas like jobs. We're just like everyone else in that regard.
However I'm also tired of people saying Obama is making things better when it feels like we're on a bad amusement park ride that takes us up a bit before dunking us back under water.

I was not meaning to imply attacking in any way. But I AM pointing out that, while you are doing well, you're in the minority.

You live in Houston if I recall correctly - that colors your perception, just as living in northeast Texas colors mine. But the picture you paint is particularly bleak and just as biased as you say mine is.

You're calling me out for allowing my own perspective to color my opinion of the rest of the state - you're doing the same thing. Don't you see that?

By the way, to clarify, I'm not "sticking up for" Perry. I'm not saying Perry has created the good things about Texas. Lord no! I'd say hard working, independent minded Texans have contributed a lot more to that scenario than Rick Perry.

I also don't believe that Obama has single handedly wrecked the US economy. I mean, look at the WORLD economy (ah, the joys of a global village...). Just last week, economists all over the world were raving about what a powerhouse the German economy is, and today they're wringing their hands with worry over that same economy.

Better stock up on essentials - that's my advice.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
You live in Houston if I recall correctly - that colors your perception, just as living in northeast Texas colors mine. But the picture you paint is particularly bleak and just as biased as you say mine is.

You're calling me out for allowing my own perspective to color my opinion of the rest of the state - you're doing the same thing. Don't you see that?

By the way, to clarify, I'm not "sticking up for" Perry. I'm not saying Perry has created the good things about Texas. Lord no! I'd say hard working, independent minded Texans have contributed a lot more to that scenario than Rick Perry.

I also don't believe that Obama has single handedly wrecked the US economy. I mean, look at the WORLD economy (ah, the joys of a global village...). Just last week, economists all over the world were raving about what a powerhouse the German economy is, and today they're wringing their hands with worry over that same economy.

Economists.....barsh, flimshaw!
We should issue a bag of tea leaves with every economics PhD.
It would improve their prognistications.

darkstar

Oh I know what you're saying. But my vision is from several areas. Friends that I visit in Dallas, and Austin. And yes you are right that I've also used personal experience as well as talking about Texas as a whole.

Texas is huge. Some parts really are doing ok. And YES I fully agree its because of hardworking Texans. But overall the state of Texas is average or below in most areas. It hurts to say that. I still love Texas and I'm fighting to make my life here, rather than run to another state.

My point, as relating to the topic of the OP is directly opposed to Perry. We can say Texas is doing great, agree with the current drivel being shouted over various news programs and in doing so would be basically unleashing a potential monster into the presidential office.
I choose to say it like it is. Yes there are parts of our state that are probably wonderful. Heck, there are rich people here too. Many good neighborhoods and kids going to private schools. But that's the minority. Just like the rest of the US.

I point out the bad SPECIFICALLY to point out the BS that most people hear about Perry making ALL of Texas better and how he can do it for all of America. I'm not on a mission to bash my state. I'm just saying that Perry is an idiot. Things here are like everywhere else, we're mostly struggling here too, and letting anyone who wants to know the truth that we're just like they are.

I keep bringing Perry up because its a discussion about his "exploits" and his qualifications to be President. Not just about Texas in general.
Were this, for example, a discussion about Obama... well I would want to see people from Illinois, most specifically Chicago talking about their experiences concerning him.

xkatz

If Rick Perry becomes president...

130869324344.png

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
I would think it is safe to say the Rick Perry has the same affect on Liberals as Nancy Pelosi has on Conservatives.

I guess if Nancy was running for President, I would be reacting the same exact way as you all are.

I said before I don't know that much about Perry, but he does have that dejavoo vibe coming from him reminding me of GWB.

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
Under Perry, projects to meet water needs stall | Houston & Texas News | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

A couple of teasers:

When the Legislature approved a statewide water plan in 1997, then-Lt. Gov. Bob Bullock hailed it as "the heart of our legacy," while its sponsor, Sen. J.E. "Buster" Brown, promised it would provide plentiful supplies of the crucial resource "for our grandchildren and our grandchildren's grandchildren."

Then came the Great Drought: Since passage of the landmark 1997 legislation, state funding for water projects has been as scarce as rain in the summer of 2011.

Fourteen years after Bullock and Brown laid out a road map for securing adequate water resources for the state's booming population, state leaders still have not found a reliable way to finance water development beyond asking voters for authority to issue debt through bonds.

With the population of Texas expected to double by the year 2050, Gov. Rick Perry is fond of saying that people have been "voting with their feet" for the state's conservative governing principles. The additional population, however, has severely strained the state's infrastructure.

In November, Texas voters will be asked to approve $6 billion in bonds that the Texas Water Development Board will use to help local communities grow and maintain water supplies.

Perry, who took note of the withering drought in April when he issued a proclamation calling on Texans to pray for rain, endorsed the legislation authorizing the bond election.

"As Texas' population and economy continue to grow, Gov. Perry is committed to making sure both families and businesses have clean and reliable sources of water," said spokeswoman Lucy Nashed. She noted that since the Water Development Board was established, Texans have voted to authorize more than $4 billion in bonds for water projects.

The 1997 plan called for spending $53 billion for expanding water resources and identifies $142 billion in capital costs for water treatment and distribution projects and flood control.

Brown and Ritter say other financing tools are needed to help the state secure water resources for the future.

In the late 1990s, Brown and others proposed fee surcharges on bottled water or on consumption exceeding 5,000 gallons a month for residential users. Opposition was swift and stout.

"This is a water tax. The people I represent are viscerally opposed to this," one Houston lawmaker said at the time.

To this day, a prevailing anti-tax sentiment "makes it pretty difficult" to invest in the state's future water needs, said Brown.

Read more: http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/7703436.html#ixzz1VTQX9xXQ

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
Bush was a semi-competent governor who was seen as a moderate; Perry isn't even tolerable.

Many folks here at RF suffered from Bush derangement syndrome. I don't care if the man accomplished world peace, (ha ha) there are many here among us that would not say anything good about the man.

George W. Bush did what he thought was right at the expense of his popularity.

Right or wrong, he stuck to his convictions.

My personal opinion is, Democrats or Republicans should pick a leader that can be elected. Rick Perry in my opinion cannot bring in the moderate vote that is necessary to win the Presidency.

Our country has become too polarised and we need to choose a leader that will lead and unite us. We need to focus on the common good for all Americans not choose a candidate that will divide our country any further.

The problem is, compromise leaves a bad taste in all of our mouths. No one has the ability to realise just how diverse this country is and what is necessary to move forward and take on the task to makes this country great again.

Bill Clinton said it best to Bush 41, "It's about the economy stupid".

Mathematician

Reason, and reason again
Many folks here at RF suffered from Bush derangement syndrome. I don't care if the man accomplished world peace, (ha ha) there are many here among us that would not say anything good about the man.

George W. Bush did what he thought was right at the expense of his popularity.

Right or wrong, he stuck to his convictions.

My personal opinion is, Democrats or Republicans should pick a leader that can be elected. Rick Perry in my opinion cannot bring in the moderate vote that is necessary to win the Presidency.

Our country has become too polarised and we need to choose a leader that will lead and unite us. We need to focus on the common good for all Americans not choose a candidate that will divide our country any further.

The problem is, compromise leaves a bad taste in all of our mouths. No one has the ability to realise just how diverse this country is and what is necessary to move forward and take on the task to makes this country great again.

Bill Clinton said it best to Bush 41, "It's about the economy stupid".

A man of conviction is not necessarily a positive statement. Hitler led the entire world through a brutal war that lasted six years because of his convictions. I'm not suggesting Perry is comparable to the Fuhrer, but I would prefer a spineless politician whose head bobs in the wind to one who is dead wrong but focused.

I'm not interested in discussing Bush. I personally think he was not terrible, but a thread short of mediocre. But he's old news.

Perry is certainly not a 'uniter.' He's probably one of the most polarizing public figures out there - primarily because his convictions of taxing austerity (note economic austerity - taxation specifically) have ruined Texas's future. Our own universities are labeling our high school graduates unqualified. Perry responds by opening up the public rainy day fund not for education but for business promotion. Meanwhile one in three children who live in every major Texas city lives in poverty. It's a disaster.

We need a president who knows (or least associates with people who know) that refusing to amend the same policies established during a time of prosperity is just dumb. Businesses don't do it; families don't do it; governments shouldn't either.

Last edited: