• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Meet Governor Rick Perry: Our Next President?

darkstar

I live in Texas. Every time I think of Perry being president, it sends shivers down my spine and makes me want to memorize the words to the Canadian national anthem.

I'm so tired of hearing how good he's done for Texas, when even some conservative republicans here are screaming out that he's bad news. They say he's made jobs for Texas? Bullcrap, there are still no new jobs that we've seen. It's a PR campaign, and if you want my advice... don't listen to them and be very cautious where he's concerned. To be honest I'd rather vote Bush back into office.

darkstar

Hahaha, thank you. I actually know the words but was using it to imply my fear of having that man as president, and implying I would be moving to Canada.

Honestly I really do fear that with his PR campaign in full swing that he's likely to be a big contender in this election. And make no mistakes, jokes aside I am honestly scared of this man getting into office.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
I don't think there is a single candidate who isn't serving one agenda or another that isn't in the best interest of the people.

I have to agree. :yes:

The thing is, America has become so divided I'm not sure what is in the best interest for our country as a whole.

Seniors should not bankrupt our country so young folks can never retire.

Money spent on education should actually educate our children which we are failing miserably at doing. Throwing more money at something has not produced any tangible results.

Green technology is a sound idea, but I don't think any of us can afford to pay 50,000 for a little car or pay three times our current utility bills in the name of "green".

Just who are the people we should be helping? Myself I believe they should be the people who will crawl out of bed in the morning and rebuild our infrastructure in this country. Yes, that will cost alot of money but at least if we are going to put our children in debt they will have something to show for their debt.

We need more people pouring water and less folks drinking. We need to solve problems not just sustain unproductive people in this country.

EVERY ONE OF US HAS SOMETHING WE COULD CONTRIBUTE TO MAKE OUR COUNTRY BETTER.

Corporate welfare is no different than entitlement programs. When we help folks, they should become part of the solution not the problem.

If America is ever going to be great again, folks are going to have to work AND pay taxes, all of us.

Yes, the rich should pay more taxes, but that will not solve the problem completely.

We need cheap cars, little houses and jobs that pay enough to get ahead not just survive. If we are going to make more money, we need to be productive.

Everyone is so busy screwing each other it is no wonder we have such a mess.

You cannot get anywhere in a boat that only has half the people rowing.

You can't get everyone rowing if you don't make it worth their while.

As long as people on entitlements have a better life than folks making minimum wage, people will sit on their butts and do nothing.

Random

As regards Perry, the only thing that could improve the field of candidates for next year's elections would be Matt Damon running for President. Epic lulz if that happens. God knows are true Liberal candidate is needed, as opposed to Obama's fake center-right cowardice.

Yeshe Dawa

Lotus Born
Hahaha, thank you. I actually know the words but was using it to imply my fear of having that man as president, and implying I would be moving to Canada.

Honestly I really do fear that with his PR campaign in full swing that he's likely to be a big contender in this election. And make no mistakes, jokes aside I am honestly scared of this man getting into office.

Hi Darkstar!

Sorry, just making a funny. Actually, I'm about as liberal as they come and I too shudder to consider the possibility of this man becoming president. I fear it may be quite possible, if enough liberals like me refuse to reward Obama with our votes again next year.

Peace and blessings,
Yeshe
:flower2:

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
Texas Job Growth Trend Stretches Back For Decades : NPR

Two teasers:

Hammond and Perry say Texas is attractive to businesses because there's no corporate income tax, no state income tax, and environmental and other state regulations on Texas businesses are kept to a minimum. Critics reply that there's a big downside to these policies, as Texas ranks 44th in expenditures per public school pupil and 50th in the number of adults and children who have health insurance.
Dick Lavine, a senior fiscal analyst with the Center for Public Policy Priorities, says the state is tied with Mississippi for the highest percentage of the workforce in minimum wage jobs. His group tracks legislation's impact on middle- and working-class Texans.
"To some extent, people in Texas just do without a lot of the public services that inhabitants of other states enjoy," Lavine says.

What is undeniable is that relative to the rest of the country, Texas is adding the most jobs by far. Unfortunately, it has not been enough. Texas' unemployment rate is at 8.2 percent, higher than the unemployment rate in the highly taxed, highly regulated state of New York. It is also higher than the 7.6 percent unemployment rate of Massachusetts, with its near universal health care, the state once governed by GOP rival Mitt Romney.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I sure hope not.

I have to admit, Rick Perry does remind me of GWB. The thing is, I believe GWB will go down in history as a great President so I like the resemblance just as much as most of you hate it.
How can a president who went to two wars, without paying for them, and issued tax cuts primarily for the upper class, without paying for them, go down as a great president? We had a surplus before him, and a large deficit after him.

T-Dawg

Self-appointed Lunatic
I sure hope not.

How can a president who went to two wars, without paying for them, and issued tax cuts primarily for the upper class, without paying for them, go down as a great president? We had a surplus before him, and a large deficit after him.

Yeah, that's roughly what I'm thinking...
AND he created the Office of Faith-Based and Community Initiatives. In the long run, that open breach of the separation of church and state is probably the single worst thing he could possibly have done. The wars will eventually be over and the economic crisis may or may not subside, but if we don't remove this blemish on the executive branch soon, we'll have set an incredibly dangerous precedent that gives Christians a legal foothold in our government (as opposed to them simply hijacking the legislature like they've done in the past and will continue to do, possibly even more so than before). Understand, ground lost to reactionaries is generally ground that stays lost for a very long time.
Unfortunately, Obama has no intention of removing this office. It's been kept perfectly intact, with the exception that he's had it's name changed to the "Office of Faith-Based and Neighborhood Partnerships." Great going, Obama.

Obama will be remembered primarily as a president who possibly could have mitigated the damaged done by his predecessor, but chose not to.

As for this election, the only Republican that I've heard for that I would even remotely consider voting for is Fred Karger, who happens to be the United States' first openly homosexual candidate (of course, I've heard absolutely nothing about his economic views; given that he's homosexual and still running as a Republican, they're probably horrid, but I won't judge them for certain until I see them).
I'm not sure if I would bother voting for Obama. I can always give Ralph Nader a vote. Of course, I certainly wouldn't want Rick Perry getting into office. I'm stuck between a choice between voting for rapid destruction of society, voting for compromise with people who desire the rapid destruction of our society, or voting for a half-way decent leader who will never get elected and who will possibly die by the time his term ends, given his current age (and as a result have a greater risk of winding up with rapid destruction).

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
Hi Darkstar!

Sorry, just making a funny. Actually, I'm about as liberal as they come and I too shudder to consider the possibility of this man becoming president. I fear it may be quite possible, if enough liberals like me refuse to reward Obama with our votes again next year.

Peace and blessings,
Yeshe
The thing is, it is not really about you and I. Republicans take my vote for granted just as Democrats take your vote for granted.

It is about moderates and how they decide to vote.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
I don't think there is a single candidate who isn't serving one agenda or another that isn't in the best interest of the people.

Well, amen to that.

I say we tar and feather them all and then run them out of town on a rail.

Politicians are killing this fine, beautiful country.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
I live in Texas. Every time I think of Perry being president, it sends shivers down my spine and makes me want to memorize the words to the Canadian national anthem.

I'm so tired of hearing how good he's done for Texas, when even some conservative republicans here are screaming out that he's bad news. They say he's made jobs for Texas? Bullcrap, there are still no new jobs that we've seen. It's a PR campaign, and if you want my advice... don't listen to them and be very cautious where he's concerned. To be honest I'd rather vote Bush back into office.

Unemployment is up everywhere so you gotta factor that in.

I live in East Texas and our unemployment rate is far below the national average of 9.1. Our unemployment rate is 7.4%. It was 7% in December 2008, so we've been holding steady thru this economic downturn.

Business is booming up here in Northeast Texas. New businesses are being created every month, and businesses are hiring, borrowing money, expanding, and contributing to the local economy. The housing market is less inflated than it was a few years ago, but I sold my house last year for a significant profit, and bought a new home for what I considered a very reasonable price as well.

Here in northeast Texas, life is good.

darkstar

Unemployment is up everywhere so you gotta factor that in.

I live in East Texas and our unemployment rate is far below the national average of 9.1. Our unemployment rate is 7.4%. It was 7% in December 2008, so we've been holding steady thru this economic downturn.

Business is booming up here in Northeast Texas. New businesses are being created every month, and businesses are hiring, borrowing money, expanding, and contributing to the local economy. The housing market is less inflated than it was a few years ago, but I sold my house last year for a significant profit, and bought a new home for what I considered a very reasonable price as well.

Here in northeast Texas, life is good.

Well, that's great for Northeast Texas. But what about the rest of us that are suffering? Yet the news makes it seem like all of Texas has been made into some job filled paradise by Perry. This of course is not true. And they fail to mention the harm he's done to the Texas school systems.
As I said, it's a PR campaign. Say what you want, but Perry is looking out for himself only. Why should we think he'd do any better as president?

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
Here are a couple of other Perry gems from the recent past:

Attachments

• sonogram.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 72
  • SacredCow.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 75
  • Wildfires.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 79
  • PerryMan.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 76

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
Say what you want, but Perry is looking out for himself only. Why should we think he'd do any better as president?

Could he do any worse? Seriously, all politicians are quilty of this. Can you think of any exceptions?

I made alot of money during the Bush years.... well 7 out of 8.

I have been in survival mode for the last 4 years and have made it through the recession but if we have a double dip, I'm throwing in the towel.

Most small businesses are sitting on the teeter totter one bad quarter away from disaster.

Treating these 250,000 dollar companies like multinational billionaires will be the death of us all.

Can we raise the bar to one million? I don't have a prop plane much less a corporate jet geeze!

darkstar

Could he do any worse? Seriously, all politicians are quilty of this. Can you think of any exceptions?

I have been in survival mode for the last 4 years and have made it through the recession but if we have a double dip, I'm throwing in the towel.

Most small businesses are sitting on the teeter totter one bad quarter away from disaster.

Treating these 250,000 dollar companies like multinational billionaires will be the death of us all.

Can we raise the bar to one million? I don't have a prop plane much less a corporate jet geeze!

Eh, like I said before, both Republicans AND Democrats are to blame. In equal parts actually. If anyone from one party tries to make an improvement, it's inevitable that the other party will block it just so they can point out how badly their opponents are doing. And that is the problem, they view each other as opponents rather than working on the same team.

Could we do worse? It's hard to imagine right now. But I'm sure we could somehow.
As I said in the forum concerning Ron Paul, at this point I'm open to trying something radically different because otherwise there won't be significant change.
Either way I've become very pessimistic and fear that things won't be improving in a noticeable way for quite some time.

Yeshe Dawa

Lotus Born
The thing is, it is not really about you and I. Republicans take my vote for granted just as Democrats take your vote for granted.

It is about moderates and how they decide to vote.

Hi Reverend Rick!

I agree. That is why Obama is catering to centrists now.

Peace and blessings,
Yeshe

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Well, amen to that.

I say we tar and feather them all and then run them out of town on a rail.

Politicians are killing this fine, beautiful country.
Wrongo pongo!
We elect them, knowing full well their sins & records of fecklessness/accomplishment.
Yet we (not me, of course) put'm in office. Politicians just do what it takes to please us.
Voters should be tarred & feathered.

Examples, using a non-partisan analysis:
Obama came from a corrupt Chicago political machine. He had little real world experience, with none in the private sector, & his leadership was weak.
Why should anyone expect him to have turned out other than he has?
Bush came from.....geeze....need I say more? Once again, we got what was portended in his past.
Clinton's dalliances & dumbstick exploits as governor were merely replayed in the Oval Office.

Last edited:

Darkness

Psychoanalyst/Marxist

Way to walk into the right-wing stereotype of judging economic performance on the basis of how you personally made out. :p