• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Meet Governor Rick Perry: Our Next President?

Alceste

Vagabond
Too late....T-Dawg dun tolerated my suggestion.
What would a Canuck know (better if the "k" is pronounced) about American grammar, eh?

Quite a bit! All our damn spell-checkers use US English because of free trade (* spits *), but we are taught English English at school. It's very irritating having our spell-checkers draw all these little red lines under "neighbour" and "labour" and "organise" and "cheque" when you KNOW you are spelling them right.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Quite a bit! All our damn spell-checkers use US English because of free trade (* spits *), but we are taught English English at school. It's very irritating having our spell-checkers draw all these little red lines under "neighbour" and "labour" and "organise" and "cheque" when you KNOW you are spelling them right.
Oh, irony......I use a 30 year old British operating system, word processor & spell checker.
To them, the "$" is only a prefix for system utility programs. Apostacy! Blasphemy! Abomination!

work in progress

You know I was puzzled to learn Obama quotes Reagan and considers him to be one of his "heroes" I think I understand why now, he doesn't want to be the next Carter (and really when you consider the **** Reagan pulled and got kudos for from the public, what politician, democrat or republican wouldn't admire him?)
I noticed that, in the 2008 Election, there were a lot of Obama supporters taken aback when he made these stupid comments about how much he admired Reagan. It might have been pure BS ... something similar to Reagan's claim of being inspired by FDR. Or it might have been a clue that he didn't know the basic history of the New Deal and Reagan's role in dismantling it, and had little appreciation for economic issues, which he delegated to Larry Summers and Tim Geitner. Obama is a weak and ineffectual leader, who arrived at a time when he could have been the next FDR....if he was bold, he may not have had a chance at getting re-elected, but he had a mandate to make a difference....and he tried to play it safe down the middle and forgot all about the people who got him in the White House!

To me, present day America is starting to look like Weimar Republic Germany...just before you-know-who showed up as the charismatic leader to solve all of their problems. Unfortunately, I see a similar pattern developing, with America as an empire about to collapse under the load of accumulated debt, that will end up with Republican leaders that are so far to the right, that Ronald Reagan wouldn't even qualify for membership today, let alone as a candidate for the presidency!

Sadly I think Reagan II is where we are headed with this Rick Perry guy and we are really going back into the toilet bowl soon, probably for good this time. Oligarchy here we come. I have no doubt the conservatives will bring jobs, you will just have to keep 3 or 4 of them to support yourself with no benefits or protections if you aren't part of the corporate machinery.

Weep for my country, etc. Shouldn't be surprised but still am.
I wish Rick Perry was someone who thought like Reagan! Reagan was somewhat of a pragmatist -- Perry is the new George Dubya Bush....but less intelligent and more belligerent.

Back in Reagan's time, he threw a few bones to the Religious Right -- did photo ops with Jerry Falwell and Pat Robertson...and mentioned God a few times in his speeches, but people are starting to look seriously at this new version of Dominionism that is working behind Governor Perry, after an expose by Rachel Maddow on the role an organization called the New Apostolic Reformation led Rick Perry's raindance and pray-for-rain rally back in August:
Meet The Radical Evangelical Army Behind Rick Perry read more: Rick Perry: The Evangelicals Behind The Response
These new evangelicals are part of the New Apostolic Reformation, an increasingly influential American Christian movement whose leaders consider themselves modern-day prophets and apostles. Many of the organizers for The Response are New Apostles, and the event's official endorser list reads like a roster of virtually everyone important to the movement.​
In a article for The Texas Observer, reporter Forest Wilder notes that the New Apostolic Reformation has been quietly expanding on the fringes of Christian fundamentalism since the 1990s. The New Apostles' beliefs — which focus on Christian dominion and End Times — are extreme, even for other conservative Christians.
As mainstream evangelical influence wanes, however, the New Apostolic Reformation is gaining broader acceptance among conservative Christians. The Response, whose endorsers also include more mainstream fundamentalists, is evidence of the New Apostles' emerging influence — and of its leaders growing appetite for political power.
Here's what you need to know about the fastest-growing religious movement you've never heard of.

To achieve their goal of Christian dominion over the world, leaders of the New Apostolic Reformation are training a new generation of so-called "super-believers" to cleanse the world before the Second Coming.
This new breed of Christians — known as "Joel's Army" in the early days of the NAR movement — is now commonly referred to as the "Elijah Generation," or the "Elijah Revolution." NAR leaders refer to this youth movement in strikingly militant terms, referring to international missions as "military bases" and local churches as "armories."
The New Apostolic Reformation believes in a Christian dominion theology known as Reclaiming the Seven Mountains, which seeks to put believers in control of the seven forces that shape society: Business, government, media, arts and entertainment, education, family, and religion.
Infiltration of civilian government is key to fulfilling this mission:
Wagner, the top leader of the New Apostolic Reformation, prophesies that God will soon transfer wealth from the "ungodly" to the faithful.
"We can expect that God will release the wealth of the wicked that He has been promising to the righteous, large sums of wealth that will be used to bring about significant, measurable transformation," New Apostolic Reformation founder Wagner said in 2006.
In the New Apostolic Reformation, "Market Apostles" are charged with establishing Christian dominion over the "mountain" of business. Apostles are encouraged to combine their ministries with business and use paid prayer intercessors to facilitate financial growth.
Read more: Rick Perry: The Evangelicals Behind The Response

Now, can anyone tell me what the difference is between a movement like the N.A.R. and the Taliban or the Muslim Brotherhood?

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Too late....T-Dawg dun tolerated my suggestion.
What would a Canuck know (better if the "k" is pronounced) about American grammar, eh?

True dat.

And in honor of NFL and football - Who dat say dey gonna beat dem Saints?

(Sorry - just had to throw that out there.)

Alceste

Vagabond
I noticed that, in the 2008 Election, there were a lot of Obama supporters taken aback when he made these stupid comments about how much he admired Reagan. It might have been pure BS ... something similar to Reagan's claim of being inspired by FDR. Or it might have been a clue that he didn't know the basic history of the New Deal and Reagan's role in dismantling it, and had little appreciation for economic issues, which he delegated to Larry Summers and Tim Geitner. Obama is a weak and ineffectual leader, who arrived at a time when he could have been the next FDR....if he was bold, he may not have had a chance at getting re-elected, but he had a mandate to make a difference....and he tried to play it safe down the middle and forgot all about the people who got him in the White House!

To me, present day America is starting to look like Weimar Republic Germany...just before you-know-who showed up as the charismatic leader to solve all of their problems. Unfortunately, I see a similar pattern developing, with America as an empire about to collapse under the load of accumulated debt, that will end up with Republican leaders that are so far to the right, that Ronald Reagan wouldn't even qualify for membership today, let alone as a candidate for the presidency!

I wish Rick Perry was someone who thought like Reagan! Reagan was somewhat of a pragmatist -- Perry is the new George Dubya Bush....but less intelligent and more belligerent.

Back in Reagan's time, he threw a few bones to the Religious Right -- did photo ops with Jerry Falwell and Pat Robertson...and mentioned God a few times in his speeches, but people are starting to look seriously at this new version of Dominionism that is working behind Governor Perry, after an expose by Rachel Maddow on the role an organization called the New Apostolic Reformation led Rick Perry's raindance and pray-for-rain rally back in August:
Meet The Radical Evangelical Army Behind Rick Perry read more: Rick Perry: The Evangelicals Behind The Response
These new evangelicals are part of the New Apostolic Reformation, an increasingly influential American Christian movement whose leaders consider themselves modern-day prophets and apostles. Many of the organizers for The Response are New Apostles, and the event's official endorser list reads like a roster of virtually everyone important to the movement.​
In a article for The Texas Observer, reporter Forest Wilder notes that the New Apostolic Reformation has been quietly expanding on the fringes of Christian fundamentalism since the 1990s. The New Apostles' beliefs — which focus on Christian dominion and End Times — are extreme, even for other conservative Christians.
As mainstream evangelical influence wanes, however, the New Apostolic Reformation is gaining broader acceptance among conservative Christians. The Response, whose endorsers also include more mainstream fundamentalists, is evidence of the New Apostles' emerging influence — and of its leaders growing appetite for political power.
Here's what you need to know about the fastest-growing religious movement you've never heard of.

To achieve their goal of Christian dominion over the world, leaders of the New Apostolic Reformation are training a new generation of so-called "super-believers" to cleanse the world before the Second Coming.
This new breed of Christians — known as "Joel's Army" in the early days of the NAR movement — is now commonly referred to as the "Elijah Generation," or the "Elijah Revolution." NAR leaders refer to this youth movement in strikingly militant terms, referring to international missions as "military bases" and local churches as "armories."
The New Apostolic Reformation believes in a Christian dominion theology known as Reclaiming the Seven Mountains, which seeks to put believers in control of the seven forces that shape society: Business, government, media, arts and entertainment, education, family, and religion.
Infiltration of civilian government is key to fulfilling this mission:
Wagner, the top leader of the New Apostolic Reformation, prophesies that God will soon transfer wealth from the "ungodly" to the faithful.
"We can expect that God will release the wealth of the wicked that He has been promising to the righteous, large sums of wealth that will be used to bring about significant, measurable transformation," New Apostolic Reformation founder Wagner said in 2006.
In the New Apostolic Reformation, "Market Apostles" are charged with establishing Christian dominion over the "mountain" of business. Apostles are encouraged to combine their ministries with business and use paid prayer intercessors to facilitate financial growth.
Read more: Rick Perry: The Evangelicals Behind The Response

Now, can anyone tell me what the difference is between a movement like the N.A.R. and the Taliban or the Muslim Brotherhood?

The MB is more moderate than the other 2?

work in progress

The MB is more moderate than the other 2?
I'm afraid you may be right on this one. A movement like the New Apostolic Reformation does not need the approval of the majority. Their system of "Apostles" being placed in charge of all aspects of life, including politics, business, education, law, etc. would be a religious legitimization for ending democracy....something that many rightwing conservatives an libertarians are already saying out loud. Scroll down to Democracy Is Not The Answer
Democracy is the current industry standard political system, but unfortunately it is ill-suited for a libertarian state. It has substantial systemic flaws, which are well-covered elsewhere,[2] and it poses major problems specifically for libertarians:
1) Most people are not by nature libertarians. David Nolan reports that surveys show at most 16% of people have libertarian beliefs. Nolan, the man who founded the Libertarian Party back in 1971, now calls for libertarians to give up on the strategy of electing candidates! Even Ron Paul, who was enormously popular by libertarian standards and ran during a time of enormous backlash against the establishment, never had the slightest chance of winning the nomination. His “strong” showing got him 1.6% of the delegates to the Republican Party’s national convention. There are simply not enough of us to win elections unless we somehow concentrate our efforts.
2) Democracy is rigged against libertarians. Candidates bid for electoral victory partly by selling future political favors to raise funds and votes for their campaigns. Libertarians (and other honest candidates) who will not abuse their office can’t sell favors, thus have fewer resources to campaign with, and so have a huge intrinsic disadvantage in an election.
Libertarians are a minority, and we underperform in elections, so winning electoral victories is a hopeless endeavor.

Looks like there are more problems than voter suppression presented by rightwing movements that work on behalf of the rich and powerful!

Biblestudent_007

I'm not focused yet on the next U.S. President but whether we will get things done and make progress in the U.S. Congressional House.

I also like to study and learn about the Legislation Process and Process of Lawmaking for U.S. Citizens.

The Supreme Court is cool.