• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Medrashim Giving Voice to Inanimate Objects

rosends

There is a medrash in which the mountains discuss why each should be the one on which the Torah is given. I even vaguely recall a medrash about the letters of the Hebrew alphabet arguing over which one should be the first in the Torah.

I'm wondering if anyone knows of other examples (or a premade list) of medrashim in which inanimate objects are given voice/personality. There are plenty of stories in which inanimate objects are discussed, but are there others in which those objects are given the power of speech?

Does the desert ever speak? What about water, or the Torah, itself? Or other things.

TIA

(I'm not asking about jokes, like the one about the floor, the bima and the back of the shul)

Last edited:

rosends

Would you see a medrash which complements biblical events as on the same level as maiseh she (lo) haya in the gemara?

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
Would you see a medrash which complements biblical events as on the same level as maiseh she (lo) haya in the gemara?
I suppose in these cases not, but not necessarily because of a. being about Tanachic events and b. being about something else. More because the forces of nature in Rabbi Elazar's story are there just to reflect his inner turmoil whilst in the other midrash the mountains are more prominent entities. If there are other examples, I'd have to think again whether there is a difference in level.

rosends

I suppose in these cases not, but not necessarily because of a. being about Tanachic events and b. being about something else. More because the forces of nature in Rabbi Elazar's story are there just to reflect his inner turmoil whilst in the other midrash the mountains are more prominent entities. If there are other examples, I'd have to think again whether there is a difference in level.
I don't know the history of various midrashim, but I wonder if the body of midrash collected which comments on Tanach events has a different provenance, whereas stories told in the gemara (especially about talmudic characters) are later "tall tales".

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't know the history of various midrashim, but I wonder if the body of midrash collected which comments on Tanach events has a different provenance, whereas stories told in the gemara (especially about talmudic characters) are later "tall tales".
It's hard to make sweeping generalizations on midrashic sources. I think it's almost a case-by-case situation. But I think it can be said that in Chazalic sources, i.e. those from the Mishanic and Talmudic eras all the stories have deeper meanings behind them and weren't intended as tall tales.

rosends

It's hard to make sweeping generalizations on midrashic sources. I think it's almost a case-by-case situation. But I think it can be said that in Chazalic sources, i.e. those from the Mishanic and Talmudic eras all the stories have deeper meanings behind them and weren't intended as tall tales.
yeah, I see that. I wish I could put it into words, but my gut says that there is a difference on some level.