• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Meditations of the day

FineLinen

"No matter what storm you face, you need to know that God loves you. He has not abandoned you." - Franklin Graham-

"Though our feelings come and go, God's love for us does not." -C.S. Lewis-

955-9559071_bleed-area-may-not-be-visible-blue-bird.png

FineLinen

"Man with all his shrewdness is as stupid about understanding by himself the mysteries of God, as an *** (donkey) is incapable of understanding musical harmony." -John Calvin-

iu

Last edited:

FineLinen

“Perhaps we are not following Christ all the way or in the right spirit. We are likely, for example, to be a little sparing of the palms and hosannas. We are chary of wielding the scourge of small cords, lest we should offend somebody or interfere with trade. We do not furnish up our wits to disentangle knotty questions about Sunday observance and tribute money, nor hasten to sit at the feet of the doctors, both hearing them and asking them questions. We pass hastily over disquieting jests about making friends with the mammon of unrighteousness and alarming observations about bringing not peace but a sword; nor do we distinguish ourselves by the graciousness by which we sit at meat with publicans and sinners. Somehow or other, and with the best intentions, we have shown the world the typical Christian in the likeness of a crashing and rather ill-natured bore---and this in the name of the one who assuredly never bored a soul in those thirty-three years during which he passed through the world like a flame. Let us, in heaven's name, drag out the divine drama from under the dreadful accumulation of slipshod thinking and trashy sentiment heaped upon it, and set it on an open stage to startle the world into some sort of vigorous reaction. If the pious are the first to be shocked, so much worse for the pious---others will pass into the kingdom of heaven before them. If all men are offended because of Christ, let them be offended; but where is the sense of their being offended at something that is not Christ and is nothing like him? We do him singularly little honor by watering down his personality till it could not offend a fly. Surely it is not the business of the Church to adapt Christ to men, but to adapt men to Christ.” - Dorothy L. Sayers-

iu

Last edited:

FineLinen

“When we leave the pen in His hands we will never be disappointed with the story of our lives.” -Eric Ludy-

“Not without design does God write the music of our lives. Be it ours to learn the tune, and not be dismayed at the 'rests.' They are not to be slurred over, not to be omitted, not to destroy the melody, not to change the keynote. If we look up, God Himself will beat the time for us. With the eye on Him, we shall strike the next note full and clear. If we sadly say to ourselves, 'There is no music in a rest', let us not forget there is the making of music in it. The making of music is often a slow and painful process in this life. How patiently God works to teach us! How long He waits for us to learn the lesson!" -Leslie Ludy-

FineLinen

"Maturity is the ability to think, speak and act your feelings within the bounds of dignity. the measure of your maturity is how spiritual you become during the midst of your frustrations.” –Samuel Ullman-

iu

Last edited:

FineLinen

"If you want your own way, God will let you have it. Hell is the enjoyment of one's own way forever." -Dorothy L. Sayers-

FineLinen

"Faith is like an empty, open hand stretched out towards God, with nothing to offer and everything to receive." -John Calvin-

c1f53dfc80e1e5cf324e9a257e9655d2--john-calvin-quotes-golden-quotes.jpg

Last edited:

FineLinen

"Evil will never stand, its days are limited. In the final analysis the God of righteousness prevails, He is the God of unlimited." -David E. Johnson-

FineLinen

“The Christian says, 'Creatures are not born with desires unless satisfaction for those desires exists. A baby feels hunger: well, there is such a thing as food. A duckling wants to swim: well, there is such a thing as water. Men feel sexual desire: well, there is such a thing as sex. If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world. If none of my earthly pleasures satisfy it, that does not prove that the universe is a fraud. Probably earthly pleasures were never meant to satisfy it, but only to arouse it, to suggest the real thing. If that is so, I must take care, on the one hand, never to despise, or to be unthankful for, these earthly blessings, and on the other, never to mistake them for the something else of which they are only a kind of copy, or echo, or mirage. I must keep alive in myself the desire for my true country, which I shall not find till after death; I must never let it get snowed under or turned aside; I must make it the main object of life to press on to that country and to help others to do the same.” - C.S. Lewis

FineLinen

“Christians know by experience that true religion is a union of the soul with God, a real participation in the divine nature, the very image of God drawn upon the soul, or, in the apostle's phrase, "it is Christ formed within us". - Henry Scougal-

“Prayer is the natural outgushing of a soul in communion with Jesus. Just as the leaf and the fruit will come out of the vine-branch without any conscious effort on the part of the branch, but simply because of its living union with the stem, so prayer buds, and blossoms, and fruits out of souls abiding in Jesus.” - Charles Spurgeon-

FineLinen

Brennan Manning =

"What makes authentic disciples is not visions, ecstasies, biblical mastery of chapter and verse, or spectacular success in the ministry, but a capacity for faithfulness. Buffeted by the fickle winds of failure, battered by their own unruly emotions, and bruised by rejection and ridicule, authentic disciples may have stumbled and frequently fallen, endured lapses and relapses, gotten handcuffed to the fleshpots and wandered into a far county. Yet, they kept coming back to Jesus."

"I have been seized by the power of a great affection."

"Those who have the disease called Jesus will never be cured."

FineLinen

"God forbid that I should limit the time of acquiring faith to the present life." -Martin Luther-

"God has us where he wants us, with all the time in this world and the next to shower grace and kindness upon us in Christ Jesus. Saving is all his idea, and all his work. All we do is trust him enough to let him do it. It’s God’s gift from start to finish! We don’t play the major role. If we did, we’d probably go around bragging that we’d done the whole thing! No, we neither make nor save ourselves. God does both the making and saving. He creates each of us by Christ Jesus to join him in the work he does..." -MSG-

FineLinen

“The moment God is figured out with nice neat lines and definitions, we are no longer dealing with God.” - Rob Bell-

the-moment-god-is-figured-out-rob-bell-quote.jpg

Last edited:

FineLinen

“To say that God’s goodness may be different in kind from man’s goodness, what is it but saying, with a slight change of phraseology, that God may possibly not be good?” -John Stuart Mill-

“One cannot believe that God has divided humanity into the elect, whom he loves, and the non-elect, whom he despises and believe that God is nonetheless worthy of worship and, at the same time, love one’s neighbor as oneself.” - Thomas Talbott (The Inescapable Love of God) -

iu

FineLinen

“All living creatures are sparks from the radiation of God’s brilliance, emerging from God like the rays of the sun.“ – Hildegard of Bingen-

"The mystery of God hugs you in its all-encompassing arms." -Hildegard of Bingen-

"From my early childhood, before my bones, nerves and veins were fully strengthened, I have always seen this vision in my soul, even to the present time when I am more than seventy years old. In this vision my soul, as God would have it, rises up high into the vault of heaven and into the changing sky and spreads itself out among different peoples, although they are far away from me in distant lands and places. And because I see them this way in my soul, I observe them in accord with the shifting of clouds and other created things. I do not hear them with my outward ears, nor do I perceive them by the thoughts of my own heart or by any combination of my five senses, but in my soul alone, while my outward eyes are open. So I have never fallen prey to ecstasy in the visions, but I see them wide awake, day and night. And I am constantly fettered by sickness, and often in the grip of pain so intense that it threatens to kill me, but God has sustained me until now. The light which I see thus is not spatial, but it is far, far brighter than a cloud which carries the sun. I can measure neither height, nor length, nor breadth in it; and I call it 'the reflection of the living Light.' And as the sun, the moon, and the stars appear in water, so writings, sermons, virtues, and certain human actions take form for me and gleam."

FineLinen

Don't limit God, always remember: He is the God of the impossible !

"Exchange your limited for His unlimited." -David E. Johnson

FineLinen

“Water does not resist. Water flows. When you plunge your hand into it, all you feel is a caress. Water is not a solid wall, it will not stop you. But water always goes where it wants to go, and nothing in the end can stand against it. Water is patient. Dripping water wears away a stone. Remember that, my child. Remember you are half water. If you can't go through an obstacle, go around it. Water does.” - Margaret Atwood-

stories.jpg

Last edited:

FineLinen

"Those times when you feel like quitting can be times of great opportunity, for God uses your troubles to help you grow." - Warren Wiersbe-

"I think Christians fail so often to get answers to their prayers because they do not wait long enough on God. They just drop down and say a few words, and then jump up and forget it and expect God to answer them. Such praying always reminds me of the small boy ringing his neighbor's door-bell, and then running away as fast as he can go." - E.M. Bounds-

iu

iu

Last edited:

FineLinen

"God transcends even the undertakings of evangelical theologians." -Karl Barth-

"...'joy' in Philippians is a defiant 'Nevertheless!' that Paul sets like a full stop against the Philippians' anxiety..." Karl Barth-