• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Meditation

Drolefille

PolyPanGeekGirl
I'm sure a thread like this has been made but, well, search didn't find it. So....

I suck at meditation. I've tried a variety of techniques, but suffer from ADHD which is kind of what my biggest issue is. I get so distracted and don't do well at letting the thoughts go. Guided meditation and mantras seem to work best for me, but then I don't feel like I'm getting as much out of it. Before sleep I can sometimes put myself in a meditative place, but then, I also fall asleep >.<

Suggestions for meditation? Do other people have the same problem? Awesome strategies or techniques?

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Dance to music.

No, seriously. There was a meditation group in the Chicagoland area I went to a few times and that is exactly what they did. I forget what they were called.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
You think that, and then you go to a group like that and it happens. Responding to music is something practically written into our bodies. You just become entranced and flow as you will with what you hear. Doesn't have to look good. It was an eye-opening experience.

Beyond that, the bigger point is that meditation isn't all about telling your mind to sit still and shut up. Certain forms are like that, but at its core, meditation is an altered state of consciousness. Simply being mindful of your thoughts wandering as a passive observer can be meditative. Getting so engrossed in gardening that you loose track of time is meditative.

Me Myself

Back to my username
Mantras have also worked better for me.

I´ve also found that meditating with the eyes closed looking at a fixed spot gets me into the very least distraction. Generally when everything else fails I open my eyes while being aware of my meditation, mantras and body relaxation. That does it for me better than anything else.

Also, you might want to find your best visualization. Visualizing myself levitating or floating on a calmed ocean with blue sky works wonders for me :) (color blue in general)

Most lucks with your meditation :namaste

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
Set an egg timer for 3 minutes to start, then simply sit down and silently count your breath...(four syllables: I'm-breathe-ing-in, four syllables: I'm-breathe-ing-out.) Just do that once a day for 3 minutes to start.

Know when you are breathing in, and know when you are breathing out. Simple as that.

Last edited:

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
I'm sure a thread like this has been made but, well, search didn't find it. So....

I suck at meditation. I've tried a variety of techniques, but suffer from ADHD which is kind of what my biggest issue is. I get so distracted and don't do well at letting the thoughts go. Guided meditation and mantras seem to work best for me, but then I don't feel like I'm getting as much out of it. Before sleep I can sometimes put myself in a meditative place, but then, I also fall asleep >.<

Suggestions for meditation? Do other people have the same problem? Awesome strategies or techniques?

Don't have any expectations concerning your mind's activity, just try to maintain a degree of choiceless awareness,..if your mind attains to a true state of stillness within this lifetime, then mission accomplished. There will be temporary states of near quiescence on the way, but the first drops of rain may signal, but are not the storm that is coming!

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member

I've done two kinds of meditation.

One is, just concentrate on breathing. ADHD disrupts this, but this kind of meditation is pretty much specifically made to deal with ADHD type of thoughts in the brain anyway. The point of the meditation is to see how frequently thoughts pop into the head (spoiler: all the time!), and then to become more skillful at observing them and letting them go rather than getting sucked into them. So with the meditation, focus on breathing. When thoughts pop into the head, observe them, and then let them go and concentrate on breathing again. Over and over and over and over and over again, as practice. It trains the mind to just be consciousness rather than identifying with the thoughts that enter the consciousness.

The other type I have done is shorter and easier. I just visualize happiness for myself, then my family, then my friends, then people I'm neutral towards, and then people that I actively dislike. Make it as detailed as possible, like if there's a guy at work you really don't like, visualize him in detail doing something he enjoys and laughing.

Maya3

Having your eyes closed and focus them on a fixed point makes a difference, try to focus somewhere near the third eye, just dont strain your eyes.
Keep the tongue at the roof of your mouth.
Keep your arms relaxed in your lap and fingers in Dhyani Mudra
Or relaxed on your knees in Vitarka Mudra.
The Ten Most Important Mudras

This makes a very big difference, once you are used to sitting comfortably with all this, then focus on your choice of focus, like your breath or a mantra.

Maya

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Keep in mind there is no one definition of meditation that everyone agrees on:
The term meditation refers to a broad variety of practices (much like the term sports), which range from techniques designed to promote relaxation, contacting spiritual guides, building internal energy (chi, ki, prana, etc.), receiving psychic visions, getting closer to God, seeing past lives, taking astral journeys, and so forth, to more technical exercises targeted at developing compassion[3], love, patience, generosity, forgiveness and more far-reaching goals such as effortlessly sustained single-pointed concentration,[4] single-pointed analysis,[5] and an indestructible sense of well-being while engaging in any and all of life's activities. Thus, it is essential to be specific about the type of meditation practice under investigation.

Failure to make such distinctions would be akin to the use of the word 'sport' to refer to all sports as if they were essentially the same. ... Meditation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here is something I myself need to read more often, and most importantly, put it into practice. I don't remember where I got it, but it's part of my electronic library. Not all of it will apply to everyone, because it focuses on meditation on God, but one can pick the best parts:

While doing sadhana, or simply chanting any mantra. Give importance to only one thing, i.e. mantra. Let the thoughts come. Do not force them to go away or try to avoid them. Do not think, 'why are these thoughts coming'? Just let them come and go. Do not focus on any thought. Always remember, no thought is important. Do not worry about any issues.

In meditation, things which you gave importance to will come out strongly. And mostly the last thoughts will pop up as soon as mind begins to calm down.

This is the nature of sadhana, only focus on mantra and then gap between 2 mantras. The silence between mantra is also very important, as much as the mantra itself. This will give you continuity of chanting. i.e. being aware of the mantra, the silence and then the mantra again.

If thoughts come (which are going to come), just be aware. IF the thought is strong, convince your mind that you do not want to think about the issue. Mentally say, I just want to surrender to my God and chant his name. Nothing is as important as chanting the name of God. When a thought comes, just let go

Remember, thoughts are not coming, they are going. Your mind is emptying itself. So why stop it from emptying. Just let it empty. Just let go.

There is no need to think about the nature of thoughts or issues popping in mind during meditation. There is no rule, no logic. Nobody can tell which thought will pop up in meditation.

As bhakti increases, the force of thoughts decreases and finally the quality of meditation will increase and with it, the increase in peace and bliss.

Not giving importance to worldly thoughts is very important. Else these thoughts will definitely come in meditation. Since you have given high importance to this thought, your mind will naturally get pulled into it and mantra will fade away in a moment. After some time, when the effect of thought reduces, you realize that you are meditating; then again you will try to chant the mantra.

So not giving importance to any every, which can be done if moksha / divine vision of God / Yoga is the only Goal is necessary. Else you will keep meditating for years with little progress. As in meditation, which last just an hour or two, you are emptying your mind, and then rest of time (20 hrs) you are dumping thoughts, emotions and issues in mind. So it will be like climbing up one stair and then climbing down one stair. When will you reach 1st floor.

Yes, we all have desires, some needs to be fulfilled, and some can be renounced. If by renunciation, one can becomes calm, nothing like that. Faith and surrender in God is also equally important.

Patience is another important virtue / Guna. It is extremely important. If you become restless, you may end up being more restless and may un-necessarily (and shamelessly) get angry on some one.

Trying to experience the same state of bliss or pleasure, which you once had experienced, is also a reason of getting frustrated.

So best is to let it happen and concentrate on mantra and silence. Let thoughts come and let them go. DO not give any importance to them.

In daytime, when not meditating, accept situation as it is. Accept any person 'as it. Do not think, 'why is he behaving like this'. It is simply not is nature to work the way you work and think. He/she works and behaves according to his / her nature. Just accept him / her. Most problems will not be there. This will boost sadhana and sadhana will help one stay neutral.

Sadhana will also make one aware of thoughts, which can extend in daytime. So you can be aware of thoughts popping up in your mind and can decide whether to entertain them or not.

Everything has to be done properly. One cannot progress simply because you are chanting God's name since years. There has to be devotion, faith, surrender, no importance to worldly issues and thoughts, staying neutral or leaving it to God (in case of dvaita worship), having only one goal in life, etc are all important for spiritual progress.

Again, clarity is important. One should know where to go and for this one has to read, understand and digest scriptures with faith.

Last, but not the least, one should have confidence in self, that you are not doing anything wrong by chanting God's name and reading scriptures.

One should also not feel guilty of you have done something wrong in past. Just make sure you do not repeat it again. Forget the past. Have a fresh beginning. Guilt will not allow one to surrender. Guilt will break faith. So do not feel guilty. Just conclude that you had done something wrong and now you are not repeating that mistake.

When starting to meditate, begin with 10 mins. or 20 mins., extend it to 4 mins., extend it to 90 mins., and extend it to 3 hours. Extend it as much as you can.

Listening to devotional songs surrendering all work and it's fruits to God, leaving everything on God, remember God before doing any work or before eating, etc are also very important. These activities keep you connected with God.

Infinitum

Possessed Bookworm
I'm varying my meditation a lot depending on how active or restless my mind is. Different visualizations help a lot in finding a calm state. Often I either distance myself from my thoughts or draw them closer towards me. The key seems to be acceptance, however you prefer to gain that. It's hardest when the mind is in chaos and nothing seems to stay still. I've imagined a small spot (I seem to have a liking for octahedrons) deep in my thought that I then "stare" at until my focus is only attached to that.

Not a big fan of breathing. It's part of my meditation, but I prefer stopping thinking about it and concentrating on something else.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Yes. Maintain only one technique without a concern about "failure". No matter what.

Those impediments your speaking of that interfere with your meditation is still an integeral aspect of one experiences.

Simply put, you meditate with all the flaws and impediments intact.
My suggestion is stop thinking it's not effective just because issues crop up. In all actuality there is nothing admiss at all when the troubles start. The disparagement should be faced with the technique you feel is the most effective. Otherwise you end up changing techniques often and not really ever getting anywhere leaving you to likely wonder whats wrong.

The issues that crop up are actually the guts of the matter, which is why i take you meditate in the first place.

Face all the issues would be my advice with your chosen methodology and stay with it come hell or high water.

dgirl1986

Big Queer Chesticles!
I have ADD and find it difficult sometimes as well. When I want the mediation type for de-stressing and being calm, I use this technique that I was taught at a retreat 5 months ago.

Its basically like a slow movement meditation. You walk basically like up and around wherever you have the most room. You just move extremely slowly. Focusing on say first setting your heel down, then slowly shifting your weight to that foot. Then slowly work towards lifting that foot and stepping forward. And when I say slow, I mean real slow.

It sounds agonizing but it is actually a really good meditation exercise to do. It is not only very focusing and calming but also teaches patience as well. Something I lack!

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
I have ADD and find it difficult sometimes as well. When I want the mediation type for de-stressing and being calm, I use this technique that I was taught at a retreat 5 months ago.

Its basically like a slow movement meditation. You walk basically like up and around wherever you have the most room. You just move extremely slowly. Focusing on say first setting your heel down, then slowly shifting your weight to that foot. Then slowly work towards lifting that foot and stepping forward. And when I say slow, I mean real slow.

It sounds agonizing but it is actually a really good meditation exercise to do. It is not only very focusing and calming but also teaches patience as well. Something I lack!
Mindful walking meditation is beneficial for a large number of things--developing focus and mindfulness, which has many beneficial side effects, like producing more incidences of lucid dreaming! (If you are mindful when you physically walk, you know you are physically walking. If you then walk in your dream, you are more likely to realize you are not physically walking, which will trigger the realization that you are dreaming, which will constitute lucid dreaming if the realization that you are dreaming does not end the dream.)

Maya3

I'm varying my meditation a lot depending on how active or restless my mind is. Different visualizations help a lot in finding a calm state. Often I either distance myself from my thoughts or draw them closer towards me. The key seems to be acceptance, however you prefer to gain that. It's hardest when the mind is in chaos and nothing seems to stay still. I've imagined a small spot (I seem to have a liking for octahedrons) deep in my thought that I then "stare" at until my focus is only attached to that.

Not a big fan of breathing. It's part of my meditation, but I prefer stopping thinking about it and concentrating on something else.

I have a spot too. Interesting to hear that you have one too.

Maya

dgirl1986

Big Queer Chesticles!
Mindful walking meditation is beneficial for a large number of things--developing focus and mindfulness, which has many beneficial side effects, like producing more incidences of lucid dreaming! (If you are mindful when you physically walk, you know you are physically walking. If you then walk in your dream, you are more likely to realize you are not physically walking, which will trigger the realization that you are dreaming, which will constitute lucid dreaming if the realization that you are dreaming does not end the dream.)

This would actually be really beneficial if I did it more often as I have a big problem with dreams making me tired (and I dream every night)

Drolefille

PolyPanGeekGirl
You think that, and then you go to a group like that and it happens. Responding to music is something practically written into our bodies. You just become entranced and flow as you will with what you hear. Doesn't have to look good. It was an eye-opening experience.

Beyond that, the bigger point is that meditation isn't all about telling your mind to sit still and shut up. Certain forms are like that, but at its core, meditation is an altered state of consciousness. Simply being mindful of your thoughts wandering as a passive observer can be meditative. Getting so engrossed in gardening that you loose track of time is meditative.
I have a very hard time letting down my... walls I suppose. I'm not comfortable dancing so I don't. I want to change this in general, but yeah it's another project.

I don't try to completely still my mind because I do know better, but it is difficult to remain mindful of anything including my thoughts. I do a bit better with the meditating while doing something, but I don't have that sort of activity right now. Maybe if I start making the chainmail that I keep meaning to do...
Mantras have also worked better for me.

Most lucks with your meditation :namaste
While mantras keep me busy, and visualization can work it's still hard to maintain.
Thanks.
Play music, dance, drum, something like that?
I get caught up in music, but don't really tend to think well
Set an egg timer for 3 minutes to start, then simply sit down and silently count your breath...(four syllables: I'm-breathe-ing-in, four syllables: I'm-breathe-ing-out.) Just do that once a day for 3 minutes to start.

Know when you are breathing in, and know when you are breathing out. Simple as that.
I will try this, it's something to focus on and a short time frame.

Don't have any expectations concerning your mind's activity, just try to maintain a degree of choiceless awareness,..if your mind attains to a true state of stillness within this lifetime, then mission accomplished. There will be temporary states of near quiescence on the way, but the first drops of rain may signal, but are not the storm that is coming!
Thanks!
Drumming is good for meditation.
Try shamanic drumming - a rapid, monotonous beat lasting for around 10 mins. A track can be downloaded here:
Prehistoric Shamanism - Drumming Tracks
I will try this, I like the sound of drumming.
I've done two kinds of meditation.

One is, just concentrate on breathing. ADHD disrupts this, but this kind of meditation is pretty much specifically made to deal with ADHD type of thoughts in the brain anyway. The point of the meditation is to see how frequently thoughts pop into the head (spoiler: all the time!), and then to become more skillful at observing them and letting them go rather than getting sucked into them. So with the meditation, focus on breathing. When thoughts pop into the head, observe them, and then let them go and concentrate on breathing again. Over and over and over and over and over again, as practice. It trains the mind to just be consciousness rather than identifying with the thoughts that enter the consciousness.

The other type I have done is shorter and easier. I just visualize happiness for myself, then my family, then my friends, then people I'm neutral towards, and then people that I actively dislike. Make it as detailed as possible, like if there's a guy at work you really don't like, visualize him in detail doing something he enjoys and laughing.
:D
Having your eyes closed and focus them on a fixed point makes a difference, try to focus somewhere near the third eye, just dont strain your eyes.
Keep the tongue at the roof of your mouth.
Keep your arms relaxed in your lap and fingers in Dhyani Mudra
Or relaxed on your knees in Vitarka Mudra.
The Ten Most Important Mudras

This makes a very big difference, once you are used to sitting comfortably with all this, then focus on your choice of focus, like your breath or a mantra.

Maya
Thank you, I'm familiar with the concept of Mudras but never paid attention to them.
Keep in mind there is no one definition of meditation that everyone agrees on:
Very true. Thanks for the info!

I almost need someone else to lead a visualization, I have a hard time doing it on my own.
Yes. Maintain only one technique without a concern about "failure". No matter what.

Those impediments your speaking of that interfere with your meditation is still an integeral aspect of one experiences.

Simply put, you meditate with all the flaws and impediments intact.
My suggestion is stop thinking it's not effective just because issues crop up. In all actuality there is nothing admiss at all when the troubles start. The disparagement should be faced with the technique you feel is the most effective. Otherwise you end up changing techniques often and not really ever getting anywhere leaving you to likely wonder whats wrong.

The issues that crop up are actually the guts of the matter, which is why i take you meditate in the first place.

Face all the issues would be my advice with your chosen methodology and stay with it come hell or high water.
I don't really know what feels effective. That is, I don't have a chosen methodology right now. I do want to stick with something, I just don't know what.

That does sound agonizing I'm not sure I could manage that one.