• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Meditation advice

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
The great pity with this thread is that it's more like soft proselytizing. Sad because many of us have important insight to share and @Geoff-Allen doesn't seem much interested in an actual discussion. Too bad.

I have NO problem with discussion - share whatever you feel inspired 2 share!

I just post what appeals to me and hope it might be useful to others ...

Namaste

ajay0

Just curious - what is the best piece of advice you have received regards meditation?

Have a great day!

Great thread. I will be looking at all the posts.

The best advice I got is to meditate early morning at around 2:00 to 6:00.

I used to meditate around that time for a few months in my courtyard and garden, and I really enjoyed the early morning purity ,stars in the sky at night and the rising sun.

I meditate also at dusk at 6:30 to 7:30 and enjoy it, especially when I am at the beach where the sun sets.

I think this is an experience everyone should strive to have, as it brings in a lot of serenity and tranquility.

ajay0

Here are Sri Sri Ravi Shankar's three Golden principles of Meditation:

"I am Nothing, I want Nothing, I am doing Nothing: 3 Golden Principles for Meditation."

The emphasis is on obliterating the ego and being based on present moment Awareness instead.

pearl

The emphasis is on obliterating the ego and being based on present moment Awareness instead.

A monk from the local monastery came across a book, 'The Cloud of Unknowing" written by an anonymous English mystic and contemplative in the 14th century. It was adapted for use in contemplative prayer for Christians, referred to as 'Centering'. A coming to the 'present', awareness, is imperative for contemplative prayer. Otherwise its just words and noise.

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
The best advice I got is to meditate early morning at around 2:00 to 6:00.

2 am is a LITTLE early 4 me. :)

I think this is an experience everyone should strive to have, as it brings in a lot of serenity and tranquility

Yes - I read a quote that basically said learning 2 meditate is the greatest gift you can give yourself in this life.

I do lots of mini-meditations focusing on generating compassion 4 myself and other beings. Doesn't always go smoothly :)

Thanks again 4 the input.

Namaste

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac

Yes - the ego is a huge player in most people's lives. Not sure how many even realise it's the source of most of their emotional suffering!

Cheers.

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
A monk from the local monastery came across a book, 'The Cloud of Unknowing" written by an anonymous English mystic and contemplative in the 14th century. It was adapted for use in contemplative prayer for Christians, referred to as 'Centering'. A coming to the 'present', awareness, is imperative for contemplative prayer. Otherwise its just words and noise.

Have heard of the cloud of unknowing a little - may google it ...

Thanks for the input.

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Do you have a problem with anger?

Try a Google search for mindfulness anger - several excellent sites!

Easier said than done at times.

Cheers

allfoak

Alchemist
Meditation is kind of like going to church, once you have the message there is no need to keep going back.
Once we understand that meditation syncs the conscious and subconscious minds, we won't stop meditating.
It is how we take control of our mind.
Rather than just acting on any old thought that happens to come to our awareness,, we can begin to learn how to decide what we are going to think about and when.
It is a way of orienting ourselves each day but it shouldn't take more than a few minutes after continued practice.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Once we understand that meditation syncs the conscious and subconscious minds, we won't stop meditating.
There is acknowledging it, or realizing it, and then there is actually living it. I think it's a mistake to assume once you've seen the light, so to speak, that you are permanently fixed in this state. It doesn't work like that.

It is how we take control of our mind. Rather than just acting on any old thought that happens to come to our awareness,, we can begin to learn how to decide what we are going to think about and when.
This is very true, but my point about not giving up meditation is that you do need to come back to the well as a "refresher course". Even when you are well-practiced in it, you can in fact slip back into, or more importantly develop new mind-habits which can take over that awareness you tapped into at a higher level of consciousness.

It is a way of orienting ourselves each day but it shouldn't take more than a few minutes after continued practice.
I have found that while this is true where you can at any given point in the day realign yourself, center, ground, open yourself to that higher mind, it is not the same as going back to that well for a nice deep renewing of the soul. There is no substitute for spending some dedicated time in meditation. We are constantly growing and learning things, and without feeding that higher mind along with the mundane mind, you can begin to lose sight and yourself in that gradual process.