• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Meditation advice

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
“You might be tempted to avoid the messiness of daily living for the tranquility of stillness and peacefulness. This of course would be an attachment to stillness, and like any strong attachment, it leads to delusion. It arrests development and short-circuits the cultivation of wisdom.”

~ Jon Kabat-Zinn, Wherever You Go, There You Are: MIndfulness Meditation in Everyday Life

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
"Every time you create a gap in the stream of mind, the light of your consciousness grows stronger. One day you may catch yourself smiling at the voice in your head. This means that you no longer take the content of your mind all that seriously, as your sense of self does not depend on it."

~ Eckhart Tolle

HeatherAnn

“You might be tempted to avoid the messiness of daily living for the tranquility of stillness and peacefulness. This of course would be an attachment to stillness, and like any strong attachment, it leads to delusion. It arrests development and short-circuits the cultivation of wisdom.”

~ Jon Kabat-Zinn, Wherever You Go, There You Are: MIndfulness Meditation in Everyday Life
Great quotes.

Occasionally I'll actually sit still and meditate (like after yoga class or in nature) - but as far as a daily habit - it's more like I prepare to meditate during the day. I've made myself little books - with ideas and pictures to help me in ways I feel I need it - and before I get out of bed, I read through one. Then, I go through my day. I usually walk by myself outside - and sort my thoughts - or just be. I think you can use your daily routines to help visualize - ie in the shower, you can think, "I'm being cleansed with clarity" - or as you walk you can think, "I am moving ahead in life."

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Great quotes.

Occasionally I'll actually sit still and meditate (like after yoga class or in nature) - but as far as a daily habit - it's more like I prepare to meditate during the day. I've made myself little books - with ideas and pictures to help me in ways I feel I need it - and before I get out of bed, I read through one. Then, I go through my day. I usually walk by myself outside - and sort my thoughts - or just be. I think you can use your daily routines to help visualize - ie in the shower, you can think, "I'm being cleansed with clarity" - or as you walk you can think, "I am moving ahead in life."

Thanks 4 the input!

Whatever works for you!

Cheers.