• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Meditating with a full mind or an empty mind?

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I think she was literally watching a show which comes up wen we close our eyes.

Well, it seemed like Rick Steve's Europe to me... though, if I were to close my eyes and something were to play across my vision, I guess that show isn't so bad.

I used to stay a week with her when I was very young, and she'd insist on watching that every day. And every day, she'd fall asleep about 3 minutes in, and I'd sit quietly until it was done. Then I'd wake her up and tell her it was over now, so we could go do something else.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
That was not fair of you. She switched off the TV and went to sleep. Why did you have to wake her up again? ;)

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Yeah, my younger grandson wants to play table tennis with me because it is too hot and humid outside the home, 93F. :)

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
I have to reread the Dhammapada, but I seem to recall Buddha warning about the dangers of an idle mind. An idle mind makes you susceptible to Māra. I think this was also in reference to meditation, I'm not sure.
When meditating, do you prefer to empty your mind or fill it? Or do they go hand in hand? Empty your mind of all the junk then fill it with goodness.

There is also the old adage that an empty mind is the devil's workshop.
We also hear that the working mind should be open like a parachute in order to work right, but some people's minds are so far wide open that one can think one's brains could fall out.

firedragon

Veteran Member
I have to reread the Dhammapada, but I seem to recall Buddha warning about the dangers of an idle mind. An idle mind makes you susceptible to Māra. I think this was also in reference to meditation, I'm not sure.
When meditating, do you prefer to empty your mind or fill it? Or do they go hand in hand? Empty your mind of all the junk then fill it with goodness.

Hmm. Interesting.

In Buddhism there general conception on meditation is an empty mind. Ana pana sathi is just about breathing. Up and down. Nothing else in the mind.

Nevertheless, I would like to learn from you what a full mind is and if there were any Buddhist teachings on that.

Thank you very much.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
Empty mind, full mind, quiet mind, monkey mind, luminious mind, mindfulness, unmindfulness--the goal is to know your mind, identify any hang-ups you mind have, and resolve them.

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
Nevertheless, I would like to learn from you what a full mind is and if there were any Buddhist teachings on that.
Well I'm no authority on the matter but when I first started exploring Buddhism my first book was the Tibetan Book of the Dead. It's a meditation book that you are supposed to meditate as you are dying, but also supposed to meditate it all the time as you are always supposed to be ready. Honestly much too advanced for me

I had plenty of practice with the first chapter, I spent at least a year practicing it on and off.
This chapter has you meditate with your personal Buddha. So your mind is full and focused on the prayer words and the purpose behind the words.
The mind is not idle. Your Buddha is opening your chakras and then you reflect that light out into the world.
So that's my experience. Worded meditations by nature require a focused mind. That's what I consider "full".

firedragon

Veteran Member
Well I'm no authority on the matter but when I first started exploring Buddhism my first book was the Tibetan Book of the Dead. It's a meditation book that you are supposed to meditate as you are dying, but also supposed to meditate it all the time as you are always supposed to be ready. Honestly much too advanced for me

I had plenty of practice with the first chapter, I spent at least a year practicing it on and off.
This chapter has you meditate with your personal Buddha. So your mind is full and focused on the prayer words and the purpose behind the words.
The mind is not idle. Your Buddha is opening your chakras and then you reflect that light out into the world.
So that's my experience. Worded meditations by nature require a focused mind. That's what I consider "full".

Hmm. Okay. Thank you very much for the clarification.

WonderingWorrier

I thought the "full mind" mentioned was this:
Empty your mind of all the junk then fill it with goodness.

So its worded meditations which is your full mind.

Worded meditations by nature require a focused mind. That's what I consider "full".

Is doing worded meditations an attempt to try to block thoughts from happening?

Do you think a wordless mind is unfocused and hence not full?

If you hear a strange noise outside your window on a dark night and your peer out into the darkness wondering what it is - are you unfocused?

Or does your focus increase and your thoughts stop while in the state of alertness?

Look, listen, something is out there. In the darkness.